Talk

Advanced search

Help needed urgently - non working dryer and ao.com

(17 Posts)
Theladyloriana Tue 23-Feb-16 15:19:47

Please help me if you know anything about this - I ltb in a rush and bought all new white goods through ao.com, in rush.I asked for recommendations from the guy I was speaking to. I explained I have a busy family and need a great dryer. It does not work.

I am within 28 days, I have repeatedly reported a fault including within the 14 days with the bosche heat pump dryer.

The dryer does not dry the clothes. It is heat pump and only dries the thinnest material and then ends the cycle, leaving majority clothes wet. This happens over and over again.

The bosche engineer comes out and said no fault and not suitable as a family dryer. I phoned up ao who say that I chose it, it's not faulty and it's just not fit for my purpose so my fault.

I have checked consumer law and it says that if you make your needs known to the company and the product is not fit for your purpose, you can claim.

Again, ao said this was my fault.

They are going to listen to the calls I have made and come back with an answer. What can I do?

I had even taken out their worry free guarantee. That's 2.3 k I have spent with them in the past year. I feel like such a mug, I'm in tears.

Theladyloriana Tue 23-Feb-16 15:38:43

Anyone...

MadisonMontgomery Tue 23-Feb-16 15:40:54

Is it worth doing a proper complaint to the chief exec? Or putting something on Twitter/Facebook? Otherwise the only thing I can suggest is selling it and buying something better suited.

MadisonMontgomery Tue 23-Feb-16 15:41:37

Also, what's the point of a dryer if it doesn't dry all your clothes confused

Theladyloriana Tue 23-Feb-16 15:48:01

Exactly. It's horrendous. I don't know how I'd sell it - eBay I guess? It was 450 quid, I'm so upset

Rafflesway Tue 23-Feb-16 15:49:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rafflesway Tue 23-Feb-16 15:51:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Tue 23-Feb-16 15:57:41

Good luck with the outcome of the recorded phonecall. I agree that a heat pump isn't suitable for a busy single parent family, because it takes a lot more time and thought than an old fashioned dryer, and I think too many shops try to flog them because they're new and expensive and clever and energy efficient without considering whether they make your life easier as per the job description .

In the meantime, you need to
A) give everything an extra spin (no rinse) in the washing machine to get it as dry as possible before you start.
B) sort every load by weight and tumble in batches, if you try to tumble a mixed load of polycotton school shirts with wet towels then the sensor will be confused
C) read the manual from beginning to end and make sure you're using cotton cupboard dry plus super heat setting.

Good luck

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 23-Feb-16 16:03:42

Trading Standards would be a good port of call.

Theladyloriana Tue 23-Feb-16 17:42:48

Thanks all. They came back to me and said they listened to the call and although from the information I gave that I was a busy single parent with two young children because I did not specifically say that is what I needed the dryer for , they feel they are being very generous to offer to remove the appliance but that they will keep 30 percent of the cost, IE 120 quid.

I think this is unacceptable as the dryer does not dry the clothes, I'd be happy to exchange it for a different model and continue my for life 25 pound per month worry free guarantee on my 4 appliances from them. I've said I will cancel the worry free cover, not buy the replacement from them and never use them again unless they give me the full refund.
It genuinely seriously has not dried a single item properly.
Should I sod it and accept their offer?

araiba Tue 23-Feb-16 18:37:41

25 quid a month cover? jeebus they saw you coming a mile off. how much repairs do you think they would need even after the normal guarantee expires? cancel that regardless of accepting or declining their offer

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Tue 23-Feb-16 20:03:11

What the dickens are you meant to use a dryer for if not to dry clothes? No, don't accept their offer, the dryer is not fit for purpose, get yourself over to the Money Saving Expert forums and have a look at the template letters on the Trading Standard website and reject the item as not fit for purpose.

I am looking for a new fridge freezer, AO.com were going to be somewhere I looked but I think I'll stick with John Lewis or the Co-Op.

LadyIsabellaWrotham Tue 23-Feb-16 20:26:32

AO are unbeatable if you're prepared to do your own research and resist them doing the hard sell on after-sale warranty. They will get you that Samsung WKUF136Z that you want and they will deliver it tomorrow between 7am and 9am, at a good price. John Lewis have better actual advice, and normally a better free extended warranty deal, but their fitting and delivery can be hit and miss.

Theladyloriana Tue 23-Feb-16 20:46:04

Gosh thanks. No I certainly would never ever recommend ao ever again . And certainly never listen to a recommendation from them. I have been so stressed by this whole thing. I rejected the offer and said I would escalate to the complaints procedure, ombudsman and small claims if necessary. A manger is going to call me back, sigh.

Horsemad Tue 23-Feb-16 22:29:02

Threaten them with BBC Watchdog - that might make them buck their ideas up. Or, go on Twitter/FB and keep complaining.

SingSongSlummy Tue 23-Feb-16 22:36:13

Have you checked the Distance Selling Regulations? There's quite a lot of protection for online/telephone purchasers.

FinallyFreeFromItAll Wed 24-Feb-16 10:03:45

Definitely not fit for purpose. Unless you are overloading it I don't see how it can be not suitable for a family? It either drys clothes or it doesn't. I think they are trying to sidestep the issue by saying about not being suitable for families. It is not drying clothes therefore it is not fit for purpose - FULL STOP - don't let them make this about your usage.

I would highly recommended Co-op Electrical. They even give you 1hr time slots for delivery, free of charge. I bought my fridge freezer from them. A week in it went wrong. Called them up mid morning and they were extremely apologetic they couldn't get a replacement one to me that day - soonest was first thing the following morning! They also offered any other day I wanted that week if next day wasn't convenient. No fuss, no arguing, just outstanding customer service.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now