Advanced search

Benefits for sahp

(29 Posts)
Abigailsfarty Tue 23-Feb-16 07:37:01

AIBU to ask for advice here? Shameless trap for traffic.

My dh works for an agency and lately work has dried up a bit and we're starting to struggle. We have 2 dc, 1y and 2m.

I intend to return to work probably July. If he quit his job how would benefits work? Is it true that he wouldn't be made to look for work until dc turn 5? Would it be worth it?

Can I please ask for your experiences?


Katenka Tue 23-Feb-16 07:42:07

What you would get as a family depends on your wages.

gamerchick Tue 23-Feb-16 07:43:11

If he quits a job you won't get anything. Would you be prepared to go back earlier?

gamerchick Tue 23-Feb-16 07:44:45

Plus the being off the hook until a certain age is really for single parents on full benefits I think.

firesidechat Tue 23-Feb-16 07:46:19

I've never been made to work, but then I haven't claimed benefits either. If he wants to be a sahp until your children go to school and you can afford it, then that's fine, but I'm unsure what you could expect in the way of financial help.

Yankeetarts Tue 23-Feb-16 07:46:39

If two work age adults are in the house at least one would be expected to look for work.

NerrSnerr Tue 23-Feb-16 07:47:37

It depends on what you would earn, he possibly wouldn't get benefits if he quit his job too. Most SAHP live off their partner's earnings and savings etc.

notenoughbottle Tue 23-Feb-16 07:47:59

To my knowledge, and I may be wrong, that rule of age 5 only applies if you are a single parent. It's normally frowned upon by DWP if you voluntarily give up work for Jobseeker's as I don't think you would qualify for Income Support, although again I may be wrong. Can he not get a different job or ask the agency to up his hours? No it wouldn't be worth it - life on benefits is not an easy one.

firesidechat Tue 23-Feb-16 07:48:15

He definitely won't get jsa if he quits his job. At least not immediately.

Osirus Tue 23-Feb-16 07:49:20

I think you don't receive anything for several months if you voluntarily leave work.

Katenka Tue 23-Feb-16 07:50:17

He definitely won't get jsa if he quits his job. At least not immediately.

would he get it at all if he isn't looking for work and a sahp?

firesidechat Tue 23-Feb-16 07:51:53

I doubt it Katenka, but I've never had to claim benefits, so don't know the details.

firesidechat Tue 23-Feb-16 07:52:32

You do have to prove that you are actively seeking employment though, which he couldn't do.

notenoughbottle Tue 23-Feb-16 07:53:41

I don't think so katenka after all that's why its called 'Jobseeker's'.

VodkaValiumLattePlease Tue 23-Feb-16 07:55:16

I think the clue is jobSEEKERS allowance, but you should apply for housing benefit, council tax support and educational benefits if you're on either nil income or low income

gooseberryroolz Tue 23-Feb-16 07:56:03

What? Him the SAHD? Or you the SAHM?

The benefits system 'allows' a single parent to stay at home until the youngest is 5 and also allows a 2nd parent in a two parent family to be a SAHP (but that will change when UC comes in - presumably a SAHP for youngest under 5 will be allowed there too - I haven't read up on that).

Seeyounearertime Tue 23-Feb-16 07:56:03

If he quits a job he will be sanctioned on JSA for up to 26 weeks.

I would strongly urge him to keep on working, claim Working tax credit, child tax credits, housing benefit and council tax benefit if you can. should be able to tell you more.

WitchSharkadder Tue 23-Feb-16 07:56:10

Do you mean if he quits his job when you are working?

If so, then, as a family, you would receive in work benefits as necessary. So tax/universal credit, housing benefit if on a low income etc.

chantico Tue 23-Feb-16 07:56:52

It's a while since I did this, but if you resign, you get nothing for the first six months. After that, he might be eligible for income-based JSA (if he is actively looking for work) dependent on total household income, and that will gateway other benefits.

It's only lone parents who can qualify for income support on the basis of being sole adult in household containing very small children.

gooseberryroolz Tue 23-Feb-16 07:57:34

If he loses his job before you find one, he'll get JSA for both of you (plus CHB and CTC for the DC), but if he LEAVES a job voluntarily disallowances to JSA apply.

Are you receiving SMP or MA?

LIZS Tue 23-Feb-16 07:59:45

If he quits he may well be sanctioned from claiming JSA for up to 6 months. Only one of you is permitted to sahp and other expected to work , but with children under 5 you may qualify for income support/universal credit depending on your income, savings etc. However you are still expected to prepare for work before the youngest is 5. Presumably atm you claim child tax credits but these too may cease if he quits. Could you return to work earlier if he gave up now or could he not look for another job?

Birdsgottafly Tue 23-Feb-16 08:04:38

Are you getting CTC and CB yet for your youngest?

Are you claiming all of the HB/CT that you can?

I would try to have a benefit check, there are various places that you can get this done, depending on were you live.

If the agency aren't providing work, then he doesn't have to resign, but you need advice that's tailored to your family.

smallspikyleaves Tue 23-Feb-16 08:17:14

if he quits he will get nothing for a period of time which I think is six months? after that he should get JSA which I think is about 70 a week but he will have to prove he is looking for work

however, in the meantime, you can apply for housing benefit, child tax credit, council tax reduction and housing benefit - not sure if you will be entitled to income support

good luck, sounds a shitty situation flowers

gooseberryroolz Tue 23-Feb-16 08:20:54

There might be another route around it.

If 'dried up' means that his earned income has fallen low enough (lower than the weekly JSA PLUS the earnings disregard - which is £20 I think) , he could claim JSA as a top up. He'd still have to look for (more) work to qualify.

gooseberryroolz Tue 23-Feb-16 08:22:14

So JSA couple rate plus disregard is approx £135 per week. Lower than THAT and the top-up JSA route could work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now