Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To want ds to do the right thing

(7 Posts)
Luckything50 Mon 22-Feb-16 17:05:13

Please give me some perspective! Ds year7 has been 'invited' to a lunchtime reading club to stretch able students. Has finally said he's not going, because it'll be boring (v poss true but not the point?) should I make him go, if I could, or just relax a bit. I'd be interested in a secondary teachers perspective as to whether this will really be frowned on? In the past I think I've always been pushy and not sure that's going to be the best policy in years to come, but is that a cop out? I'm finding it v difficult to let him decide when what he chooses conflicts with what I want!

VimFuego101 Mon 22-Feb-16 17:08:48

I would prefer that they stretched the able students during normal class time tbh, by setting them work accordingly. I wouldn't force my child to give up his lunchtime unless it was for something he wanted to do.

MrsOlaf78 Mon 22-Feb-16 17:08:53

If it's optional and he's opted not to do it, I don't see what can be achieved by forcing him. He's entitled to his break, you don't want to put him off learning by putting too much pressure on.

MrsUniverse Mon 22-Feb-16 17:11:17

He should go, as an English teacher I am all for stretching the able kids. But having been an able kid I know that sometimes it's nice to spend your break/lunch having fun and relaxing from some of pressure/expectations of the classroom. Only you know how much your son is doing and if he struggles with it. But in year 7 he needs to follow your lead. Kids are lazy and year 7s are just year 6s with a holiday.

Katenka Mon 22-Feb-16 17:28:04

My dd (same age) did a lunchtime club until she realised not having a break was making her lessons in the afternoon harder.

Personally I would prefer her to have some down time and a break.

I think ywbu to make him go. He will probably just lie and said he has gone. Or will quit and not enjoy it as he is only there because you said he has to

Luckything50 Mon 22-Feb-16 17:50:22

Mmm thanks, fair points about missing his break, esp as it's only 30 mins, and also about stretching in class rather than an extra session. He is lazy, but like many kids this age he stresses about 'stuff' and can put himself down so I think I'll lay off loading him down with guilt. Want him to be happy I suppose more than I want him to get better grades

memyselfandaye Mon 22-Feb-16 17:56:27

If your employer said they had extra work for you to do in your lunch break, what would you say?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now