Is it bad that i spend between 2-4 hours a day on a horse game?

(25 Posts)
MySordidCakeSecret Sun 21-Feb-16 22:08:41

I spend near on all my free time on this stupid online horse game. I spend real money on it too sometimes. Yes I enjoy playing it but at the same time i feel bad about the amount of time.. but i always feel compelled to go on it whenever i a sat with the laptop.

I'm 23yrs old and i think i'm wasting my life.. but then again gaming is a hobby for a lot of people so is this common? Or is it pathetic.

futuremrsstinson Sun 21-Feb-16 23:22:26

I play a lot of games. Namely the Sims. It helps me to escape reality when im feeling overwhelmed.

Your not pathetic. Dont even think that for a second flowers

futuremrsstinson Sun 21-Feb-16 23:23:11

Oh- and im the same age as you smile

hollinhurst84 Sun 21-Feb-16 23:23:57

Howrse by any chance?

gleam Mon 22-Feb-16 00:38:57

Howrse?

Theladyloriana Mon 22-Feb-16 01:08:17

I do think it's a shame to be doing something repetitive and addictive that doesn't teach you new skills and is more of a comforter.

kali110 Mon 22-Feb-16 01:08:54

What is this game??? I have a disability. I spend couple of hours some days playing apple games to try to distract myself from anxiety and pain.

kali110 Mon 22-Feb-16 01:09:09

Oh and i'm in my 30's

shiteforbrains Mon 22-Feb-16 01:18:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

shiteforbrains Mon 22-Feb-16 01:19:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nocoolnamesleft Mon 22-Feb-16 01:22:31

And, erhem, I obviously don't have Island Experiment open in another tab. Honest.

mrselizabethdarcy Mon 22-Feb-16 01:31:04

I'm in my 40s and play minecraft every day. Not hurting anyone and I enjoy it . smile

BadLad Mon 22-Feb-16 03:49:12

As long as you aren't spending money you can't afford, or neglecting something else that you should be doing, then enjoying yourself is never wasting time.

daisychain01 Mon 22-Feb-16 04:09:17

OP only you know whether the number of hours gaming is causing you a problem in your life. People's opinions vary from Gaming is great I love it, to Gaming is a waste of time and money ... and all shades in between.

If you feel it is starting to affect your life or you aren't feeling good about doing it, then I'd say maybe it's the time to think about how you want to change. So if you are playing 4 hours a day, could you reduce that time down to 1 or two hours and do something different with the other time. Even if going out for a walk or reading. Making it an aim, might start to help redress the balance so you actually enjoy gaming, in smaller doses!

Definitely not pathetic btw

TitClash Mon 22-Feb-16 04:34:24

How about learning a second language, or how to use Photoshop, or something else for half that time? Then you wouldnt feel like you were wasting your time.

LunaMay Mon 22-Feb-16 05:42:26

Oh im early thirties and have been playing the sims games for yearssss. Most nights i will either play a little or create things for the game and upload it to the net to share. im sure some people think im wasting time but its something i enjoy and would rather do then watching tv.

timeforabrewnow Mon 22-Feb-16 05:48:37

Mmm I wonder how many hours I've wasted looking at Mumsnet - quite a lot I reckon.

I like Badlads approach - ie if you're not hurting anyone and you can afford it then don't worry about it and enjoy.

I've been known to do the adult colouring books with silly expensive pencils because I like it and I'm a lot older than you.

Katenka Mon 22-Feb-16 06:40:19

I waste loads of time on a game on my phone (gods of Olympus) and mn.

It's inly a problem if it's stopping you doing things. I still work and have a life away from mn and my game of choice. Still look after my kids etc

Do you cancel things so you can play? Do you avoid making plans so you can play? Do you get upset if you can't get to play?

MySordidCakeSecret Mon 22-Feb-16 10:02:50

Yes it's howrse grin i do find it therapeutic because it's so repetitive, and i enjoy the online social aspect.

MySordidCakeSecret Mon 22-Feb-16 10:04:31

you're right yes, no it doesn't stop me making plans or anything, it's just a spare time thing but over the day it adds up! mind you i don't watch tv.

Piemernator Mon 22-Feb-16 10:10:18

I'm currently sat wearing a wrist brace as my Rsi has flared up from playing on my Xbox too much. I'm not judging!

NeedACleverNN Mon 22-Feb-16 10:39:22

downloads howrse grin

I play on games for hours but I never spend money on them. It's my one rule

hollinhurst84 Mon 22-Feb-16 11:35:06

I used to play on the UK site and the international one but it adds up to a fair bit of time if you have a load of horses on there! That's why I stopped playing in the end

liz70 Mon 22-Feb-16 11:58:07

I play The Sims (Freeplay), but I wouldn't spend any real money on a game.

MySordidCakeSecret Mon 22-Feb-16 13:56:54

yeah it does i have over 700 horses and am in 3 teams too so to keep my account running daily with ap hunting it takes up a lot of time. Sims sounds quite good i might look into it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now