Talk

Advanced search

Denying DH a ukeleke for his birthday?

(21 Posts)
bonnerbebe Sun 21-Feb-16 18:15:28

DH has asked for a ukeleke for his birthday. He is learning to play guitar but wants a ukeleke as well so that he has a musical instrument to take on camping trips (trying not to laugh/cry at the image of this). Here's the thing, for my birthday he got me a cd, a pencil case and a wait for it... a plug strainer thingy for the kitchen sink. He is actually a really thoughtful, loving, amazing man but seriously? A plug?! Thinking maybe I should just buy him a cheese grater, a paint brush and a sock. Does ukelele trump plug or should I just let it go?

Isthiscorrect Sun 21-Feb-16 18:23:01

Let him have the ukeleke but ensure he has a written list of suggestions for any future gift opportunities for you. some men can really be idiots

RaptorInaPorkPieHat Sun 21-Feb-16 18:24:20

Well, I got a ukulele for xmas so I'm biased grin

Was it a good CD? or "101 ways to keep your sink from clogging up"

They're pretty cheap (not that much more than a CD)

Can you disguise it as a cheese grater? wink

bonnerbebe Sun 21-Feb-16 18:31:09

He told me that he doesn't want a cheap one, i.e. a 20 quid one that we were going to get dd for christmas...

I got the latest Soundgarden cd. Still love them but not brilliant music when I have a 6 week old permanently attached to me and a 3yr old who only wants to listen to jingle bells and the wheels on the bus.

DIYandEatCake Sun 21-Feb-16 18:35:30

Get him one - but ask for what you want just as specifically on your next birthday!

DoJo Sun 21-Feb-16 20:10:25

Did you ask for anything specific for your birthday?

hefzi Sun 21-Feb-16 20:18:32

Tell him you'll buy him one only after he's mastered the guitar. Clearly, it's your decision when he's achieved mastery- and that decision will obviously be based on any improvement (or not) in his gift-giving techniques wink

Seeyounearertime Sun 21-Feb-16 20:25:12

did you request anything for a birthday gift?
he has, so i assume you could?

buy him the Uke and a George Formby CD
"Turned out nice again"

then next birthday actually ask him for something you really wan, i suggest ear plugs. grin

bonnerbebe Sun 21-Feb-16 22:05:34

It's my own fault. I just don't ever want anything. Just 10mins to sit on the toilet in peace is enough! Perhaps I should ask for an afternoon by myself to go shopping. I think being by myself is the best present ever... is that weird?!

Floggingmolly Sun 21-Feb-16 22:07:14

A pencil case?? Are you still at school? grin

calzone Sun 21-Feb-16 22:08:00

Not weird at all.

Best gift ever.

Ask him for a day off.
Shopping
Lunch
Cinema
Afternoon tea

Bliss.

mammmamia Sun 21-Feb-16 22:13:18

Get it for him. Go shopping by yourself. Get yourself some treats. Job done.
I got a ukulele for Christmas and I love it.

5Foot5 Sun 21-Feb-16 22:49:22

It's my own fault. I just don't ever want anything
Well there you go. Just because you haven't the imagination to think of an interesting gift to ask for why penalize him because he has. Your presents from him might sound a bit shit but if you can't think of anything better to ask for how is he supposed to know what to get you.

Anyway I think a ukulele sounds like a great idea. We got teenage DD one (at her request) and she joined a ukulele group and really enjoyed it.

Oh. And "denying" him a ukulele? Hopefully that is just an unfortunate turn of phrase. He's an adult so if he wants one he can just get one anyway can't he even if you still have the hump that he didn't think of the perfect gift for you when you can't even think of it for yourself.

PaulAnkaTheDog Sun 21-Feb-16 23:16:55

Well he shouldn't be punished just because you don't have ideas for your birthday present!

Stormtreader Mon 22-Feb-16 10:26:38

Get him a tin of ukulele polish "for when he gets his ukulele".

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Mon 22-Feb-16 11:46:49

Surely the answer to that request is "of course I'll get you one for your birthday so you have something to play on your solo camping trips with kids" because I'm not f**king going with you and your ffing ukelele

I think being by myself is the best present ever... is that weird?!
Nah - me too. Bliss

Gobbolinothewitchscat Mon 22-Feb-16 11:49:58

Why can't he take the guitar on holiday? confused

Nothing more useful to add but great thread title!

howabout Mon 22-Feb-16 11:59:05

Get him the cheap one or he will spend his time worrying about an expensive one he takes out and about.

OneWaySystemBlues Mon 22-Feb-16 12:29:59

Ukeleles are great! Smaller than a guitar (so easier to transport), cheaper than a guitar, easier than a guitar. What's not to like?!

multivac Mon 22-Feb-16 12:32:37

Oh there is so much not to like about a bloody ukulele.

The fact that everyone thinks they're a singer-songwriter (and a delightfully "quirky" one, at that) once they've got one, for a start...

Put 'em all on a bonfire. With the sodding cajons.

LadyBaelish Mon 22-Feb-16 14:03:01

Ukes are great! The £20 ones aren't really much more than toys but for around £50 you can get an instrument that's good enough for anyone who just wants to play for a bit of fun in their free time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now