Talk

Advanced search

Neighbour's house viewing and children's party

(109 Posts)
lulucappuccino Sun 21-Feb-16 17:48:23

Long-time lurker, first-time poster.

I really think my neighbour is BU, but I'd like outsiders' viewpoints.

There are three houses on our small cul de sac. Mine's in the middle. The couple next door are trying to sell their house (the other family next door are away on holiday).

Today is my six year old's birthday and her party was this afternoon at the house.

I told my neighbours, a few days ago, that there would be a lot more traffic and noise than usual, and they seemed to find that acceptable.

This morning, the wife called round and asked if we could postpone the party, as someone wanted to have a second viewing of the house at 2pm, which was right in the middle of the party. She asked if we could have the party next weekend instead. I said that wasn't possible because a) everyone was invited b) the food was all ready and c) DD would be extremely disappointed!

She said I was being "Incredibly inconsiderate". I'm really, really annoyed about this. They've always been very self-important, but this takes the mick, doesn't it?

CooPie10 Sun 21-Feb-16 17:49:43

Yanbu how ridiculous of her to ask. Well at least they are moving soon.

IamlovedbyG Sun 21-Feb-16 17:50:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DSClarke Sun 21-Feb-16 17:50:18

Of course YANBU. Is she on glue?

SweetieDrops Sun 21-Feb-16 17:50:20

Your neighbour is a nutter. Be thankful she's moving.

HeartShapedBox Sun 21-Feb-16 17:50:23

Your neighbour's an arse.

How did you manage to not laugh in her face?

Tabsicle Sun 21-Feb-16 17:51:23

They are being unhinged. What are you meant to do? Call all the families who have made plans based on your party for the weekend and cancel?

I doubt any sensible person would be that put off by a six year old's birthday party anyway.

cashewnutty Sun 21-Feb-16 17:51:34

That is hilarious. Why would she think you might agree to that?

alltouchedout Sun 21-Feb-16 17:51:37

She's a twat. YANBU. If a children's party next door would be enough to put the potential buyers off, they can't be that keen anyway.

Twitterqueen Sun 21-Feb-16 17:53:27

How very funny - and rude! Of course she was being a complete idiot!

Pipbin Sun 21-Feb-16 17:54:16

So she wants you to change not only what you are doing but to also bugger up the plans of all the parents of children coming to the party?

Bollocks to her.

wonkylegs Sun 21-Feb-16 17:54:26

Hahahaha - some people really think the world revolves around them. She was definitly being unreasonable and a bit weird.
Hope you had a lovely party.

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Sun 21-Feb-16 17:55:25

grin

TheFridgePickersKnickers Sun 21-Feb-16 17:57:16

She sounds mad. A better thing for her yo have done is tell the house viewers that 2pm wasn't convenient but they could come at 11 or 12 if she wanted to avoid them seeing parked cars and hearing a kids party.

She could have told them they already had a 2pm viewing if she was so inclined.

evelynj Sun 21-Feb-16 17:57:17

Lordy. That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. It's not as though a birthday party is high in the list of reasons not to buy a house. How bizarre.

lulucappuccino Sun 21-Feb-16 17:57:24

Thanks all.

It was a good party, thanks. Shattered now though!

The neighbour is a pain. They've lived here longer than us and the other family, so feel as though they're in charge.

katienana Sun 21-Feb-16 17:57:48

Weirdo! Any sane person looking at the house would understand about a party as a one off anyway!

ApocalypseNowt Sun 21-Feb-16 17:57:49

She sounds like a fruit loop. Ignore, ignore, ignore.

5Hearts Sun 21-Feb-16 18:01:52

What a ridiculous ask!

Glad the party went well. Hope the viewing went well too and you get some lovely new, normal, neighbours in a few months too!

lulucappuccino Sun 21-Feb-16 18:03:03

It's a shame. Falling out with a neighbour is awkward, isn't it? I think we've been respectful and considerate towards them. Always taking in packages, looking after their cat while they're away etc. Hate a bad atmosphere.

lulucappuccino Sun 21-Feb-16 18:04:28

DH just saw the husband, who said that they "had" to cancel their viewing. Apparently he's as pissed off as she is with us.

eddielizzard Sun 21-Feb-16 18:06:27

wtf!!!! good thing they're moving.

specialsubject Sun 21-Feb-16 18:07:19

bonkers.

people will find out that kids live next door. If they have or plan kids themselves, that's a selling point.

and whatever, not your problem!

StickyProblem Sun 21-Feb-16 18:07:42

Diddums to them. News flash: other humans on planet.
Glad your DD had a good party!

CocktailQueen Sun 21-Feb-16 18:07:50

They are both being ridiculously entitled! Hope their house sells soon and they move far, far away... You have done nothing wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now