Advanced search

Any solicitors on here? Legal advice needed please

(7 Posts)
Inshock73 Sun 21-Feb-16 15:39:55

I've found myself in a bizarre situation. Long story short, a family member of my sisters ex husband has been verbally abusive towards all our family on fb, it's really getting out of hand. She has now sent a private message to my sisters daughter accusing her grandfather on our side of sexually abusing her when she was a baby and telling her she's too young to remember but she knows it happened! My niece has confided in me because she's so upset. I won't be telling my parents as my dad would be heartbroken to be accused of such a thing. I am lost for words. I don't understand why she has taken it upon herself to say any of this as my sister and her husband are about to finalise their divorce.

Does anyone know if a solicitor would be willing to send her a 'back off or we will take out an injunction' type letter. Do we have grounds for it? Would a solicitor do it?

Huge thanks for any advice anyone can give.

Purplepicnic Sun 21-Feb-16 15:47:06

I'd have a chat with the police. They deal with this kind of stuff every day.

Sparklingbrook Sun 21-Feb-16 15:48:40

AIBU probably not the best topic if you are looking for solicitors. You could try posting in this one?

merseyside Sun 21-Feb-16 15:49:19

The police can give her a "back off" phone call.

Someone harassed me and that's what they did

petalsandstars Sun 21-Feb-16 15:50:19

Police to report harassment initially.

londonrach Sun 21-Feb-16 15:52:55

Just report to police op and let them deal with it.

goddessofsmallthings Sun 21-Feb-16 19:14:04

Is the family member of your dsis's stbxh claiming that your dn is too young to remember that your df, her dgf, sexually abused your dn when she was a baby or is she claiming that your df sexually abused her when she was a baby?

If the former, your dn and her dm (your dsis) are best advised to have a word with the police.

If the latter, the family member should be told that she is free to make contact with the police and should do so without making any further contact with dn.

Alternatively, your df can either have a word with the police himself or consult a solicitor with a view to taking action against the person who has defamed his good name and character.

In any event, the 'we' in this case has to be those most directly affected by the message which is your dn (and your dsis if dn is a minor) and your df as all you can do in this situation is lend your support to whatever action they decide to take.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now