Talk

Advanced search

to think MN is a modern version of an agony column?

(17 Posts)
tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Sun 21-Feb-16 15:22:00

When I was younger I used to write letters to agony columns in my head, about whatever was on my mind. I had no real intention of sending them, it just helped to work my thoughts out.

Did anyone else used to do that?

But I don't do that these days, if something is on my mind I start a thread on MN, difference is I get answers! (Well, most of the time!)

AIBU to think a lot of MN is kind of like a massive agony column, but one where lots people get answers?

ImperialBlether Sun 21-Feb-16 15:23:23

Yes, it's a hell of a lot better than Cathy and Claire. My friend wrote in because she thought she was pregnant and they didn't answer until the baby would have been born! I think that was probably quite deliberate, actually.

Destinysdaughter Sun 21-Feb-16 15:26:36

Yes, I wish it had existed when I was younger! I wrote to Marjorie Proops once as a teen and got a bland, crap reply. I'm sure MNetters would have sorted me out! Wouldn't have stayed in crap relationships for so long either.

WorraLiberty Sun 21-Feb-16 15:29:11

I now have a mental image of Marjorie Proops saying, "YABU. Leave the bastard, you silly cunt" grin blush

CaptainCrunch Sun 21-Feb-16 15:29:41

I would love to read some old Cathy and Clare, it would be interesting to see how much times have changed.

CaptainCrunch Sun 21-Feb-16 15:31:59

I remember Anna Raeburn, I think she was in Woman magazine. I'll never forget my mum's disgust when someone wrote asking if semen was fattening!

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Sun 21-Feb-16 15:37:28

I remember we used to pass the Just 17 agony column around in class. The boys were fascinated too!

I think lots of us got some basic sex ed from J17!

handslikecowstits Sun 21-Feb-16 15:37:42

You mean mostly made up. Yes probably. smile

tangerinesarenottheonlyfruit Sun 21-Feb-16 15:38:01

WorraLiberty grin

ImperialBlether Sun 21-Feb-16 15:38:35

Do you remember Talk Radio? Anna Raeburn used to speak to callers about their problems. She'd get really nasty at times, as though she was taking it all personally and she'd cut them off and keep banging on. She was abusive really, when I think about it. Certainly one caller per programme would end up wishing she'd never been born. I doubt Anna ever saw the irony in that.

maddiemay Sun 21-Feb-16 15:38:36

I remember reading Woman and thinking grown ups had it so easy.

grin

TimeToMuskUp Sun 21-Feb-16 15:48:02

I like to imagine Mrs Mills is a regular on here and spends her days wafting about on AIBU, eager to offer a pithy response to some of the madness.

Destinysdaughter Sun 21-Feb-16 19:01:29

The celebrity advice aunties Pamela Stephenson and Mariella Frostrup in the Guardian/ Observer give consistently shit advice IMO.

deregistered Sun 21-Feb-16 19:02:44

I think of Mumsnet more like a middle class version of a real life magazine like Take A Break!

Destinysdaughter Sun 21-Feb-16 20:09:09

grin

Arfarfanarf Sun 21-Feb-16 20:41:39

I see it more like Ripley's Believe It Or Not.

GoblinLittleOwl Mon 22-Feb-16 17:33:56

Yes. I am Marge Proops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now