Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be fed up that Dp won't help with painting the bathroom

(15 Posts)
WildwestWind Sun 21-Feb-16 09:54:45

So DP has just announced that he's taking his kids to the cinema this aftenoon. Kids stay with us for half of the holidays but this half term they are staying from Monday evening to Sunday evening as DP's ex says she finds it hard to occupy them during the Feb half term. This isn't really a problem and we have loved having them here. BUT we are in the process of redecorating and we agreed that today we would both paint the bathroom and the kids (14 and 10) would watch tv, do home work and have a chill out day.
They have had a fun half term and Dp took them to London for four days whilst I stayed at home and painted the lounge. Again I was ok with this as it's important they spent time with him but I'm very fed up now.
AIBU to expect him to stick to the plan?

PennyHasNoSurname Sun 21-Feb-16 09:56:37

Its two hours. And its 10am. So they can do homework now surely while you paint?

WildwestWind Sun 21-Feb-16 10:04:34

It's new plaster so I was hoping to put a mist coat on then a couple of coats of emulsion during the day. I had the timings all worked out and am miffed

MargotLovedTom Sun 21-Feb-16 10:07:30

Surely it can't take very long to paint a bathroom unless it's huge?
I don't see the big deal tbh.

WildwestWind Sun 21-Feb-16 10:17:06

it's not huge Margot but Ceiling walls and woodwork all takes time and although I'm pretty handy with a paintbrush I think it will take most of the day

WildwestWind Sun 21-Feb-16 16:40:06

So I've put two coats of paint on the ceiling and walls And am about to start the third. DP has taken kids to the cinema and park.

I guess that not getting many responses to my thread means I am boring you all and BU so I'm trying not to sulk too much.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Sun 21-Feb-16 17:04:40

I think he took the piss. They've had all half term for fun, this was planned and he's just fucked off. Pretty shitty attitude towards common goals in the home.

Arfarfanarf Sun 21-Feb-16 17:09:39

tbh I would have just left the painting and followed his lead and chilled out.

If he doesn't want to paint fair enough, you can't make him. But I see no reason why he gets out of it rather than it being postponed.

But then it wouldn't bother me to wait whereas maybe it would annoy you so much it was worth just getting on with it by yourself?

BarbarianMum Sun 21-Feb-16 17:13:32

Yes I'd just leave it until he's available to help and go chill.

CooPie10 Sun 21-Feb-16 17:14:53

I think I would have left it as well for a weekend when the kids were not around.

GingerFoxInAT0phat Sun 21-Feb-16 17:20:11

Dh and I was supposed to be painted dcs newly plastered bedroom today. He was supposed to be missing football but becuase they was short he ended up going. I could have got on with it but decided to leave it until we can both do it together.

WildwestWind Sun 21-Feb-16 17:42:09

Thanks for the replies: I just wanted the room finished so got on with it. Have put a bottle of cava in the fridge for later as a treat. And I'm not going to share .....

Roseberrry Sun 21-Feb-16 17:44:32

I can see why you're annoyed but it's done now. Tbh I'd be happy to get on with it on my own, my dh makes a right mess with paint and tries to tell me just how good he is. He's not though, I'm the better painter wink

mumeeee Sun 21-Feb-16 18:30:35

I would have just left the painting for today. How long has the new plaster been there? Just asking because I've always been told you have to leave painting for about 2 months after new plastering has been done.

WildwestWind Sun 21-Feb-16 19:26:09

Mumeee it's just a skim of plaster over plasterboard and had dried to that lovely pale Germolene pink. It's now a beautifully smooth wall where once there was a door.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now