To ask I'd this is correct about school she

(41 Posts)
Abbinob Sun 21-Feb-16 09:23:14

Looking at 2 year old DS (august born) and thinking about how in a year and 7 months ish time he will be going to school full time.
Seems crazy to me, doesn't seem like he will be old enough at all? Do they really grow up so much in that amount of time? I'm quite worried about it actually that they start so young sad

Katenka Sun 21-Feb-16 09:26:03

Every child is different.

I have a summer born (youngest in class) she was more than ready to start school. She went to the school nursery, half days from 3 years though. Which I do think helped.

Ds is a winter baby and was ready too although he is generally less grown up that dd was.

I have known both summer and winter born babies that haven't quite been ready. I have know summer and winter born that are.

Only time will tell.

icanteven Sun 21-Feb-16 09:26:05

He doesn't have to go until he is 5, and even then, only if you are putting him into mainstream state school.

Abbinob Sun 21-Feb-16 09:26:07

School starting age. Not school she. cracked my phone screen and now it is a bugger to type on blush

Katenka Sun 21-Feb-16 09:26:17

Oh and both love school.

Birdsgottafly Sun 21-Feb-16 09:28:24

Yes, they do 'grow up' a lot in that time, perhaps a quick google of the difference between 2 and 3 year olds?

Some will have less attention etc, but if the school is working as it should, they will be slowly led into the school routine.

It happens again at 10, you think they are way not ready to move toward High school.

Abbinob Sun 21-Feb-16 09:29:15

He'll be going to mainstream state school, no other option really.
He doesn't even stay at the end of nursery ATM ( ita only open 9-12) he gets picked up 15 mins early because the other kids are all older, its a really small nursery, and the staff say he won't sit still for story time

Katenka Sun 21-Feb-16 09:31:40

Ds was like that. He started the school nursery at 3. He really changed between then and starting full time school.

Shockingly he is now one of the best behaved in the class, which we never expected. He has really grown up. Even more so since going full time

Abbinob Sun 21-Feb-16 09:33:12

I don't think I'll keep him home till hes 5, because I think that will mean he'll go straight into yr1? Which is a lot of sitting down and listening and the reception kids I assume are sort of eased into it?
It's all so complicated I'm sure I was at nursery attached to the school till 5 then yr 1

mamapants Sun 21-Feb-16 09:36:18

Its too early to worry about it now. Think about how different your child was a year and 7months ago to now. The changes at this age are massive

TeaT1me Sun 21-Feb-16 09:37:07

I think some areas let you defer a year to reception, do you'd start reception at just turned 5.

A friend is putting her summer born in year 1 and skipping reception, but keeping home a year. I think it will be tough to go straight into sit down/academic school but agree with her that just turned 4 seems too young.

icanteven Sun 21-Feb-16 09:40:22

I think he would go straight into Reception, not year 1. Lots of children in my DD's Reception class are turning 5 this year, so he would have just turned 5 a couple of weeks before starting Reception, which I think would be fine. Check with your local authority. He would definitely be at an advantage if he was able to start then, because he'd be that bit more mature and taller. Call the LEA and check if that's the case in your area (I think it varies around the country), and then you can put your mind at rest.

My DD is an April baby and 6 months DOES make a difference at that age (Reception).

grumpysquash2 Sun 21-Feb-16 09:49:45

My DS1 was the same (born 10th August). He was still in nappies until he was nearly 3 and I was thinking WTF, he has to go to school in a year!
It was all fine, as it turned out. Just 4 is very young for school.....however, you are right that if you don't send them they miss out on reception which is important for making friends and generally getting used to the routine.

And someone will always have to be the youngest.

Sparklingbrook Sun 21-Feb-16 09:52:38

I agree that they are all different. DS1 started YR at 4.3 and I thought he wasn't ready. But he was fine.
There was no option to defer and only one child in the class did mornings only for a bit.

He went to pre-school from 2 years 9 months.

Amummyatlast Sun 21-Feb-16 10:01:18

They are supposed to be changing the rules so that you can defer a year and the child will start in reception, not year 1 (at present it depends on the local authority as to whether they start in reception or year 1).

www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/458797/Nick-Gibb-open-letter-summer-born-children-admissions.pdf

Whether it happens is another matter

Katenka Sun 21-Feb-16 10:02:39

I think he would go straight into Reception, not year 1.

It's different from area to area

notenoughbottle Sun 21-Feb-16 10:04:35

I'm in the same position as my two year old baby is due to start school next September too! She's a July birthday so will be one of the youngest too. I need to get back to work or else I'd be keeping her home for that extra year but school will be my childcare.

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sun 21-Feb-16 10:06:54

They grow up an awful lot! My just turned 3yo will start in Sept 17 at the minute it seems amazing but (from past experience with the older 2) I know how much she'll 'grow up' over the next 12 months-18 months.

In this new test that they do in reception my son was at the low end for everything except school readiness where he was at the top.

They're little sponges.

CalicoBlue Sun 21-Feb-16 10:07:52

It is young, starting the September after you are 4, for some can be a few days. I planned my DD so she would be an October baby as I wanted her to be older in the school year.

Apply for the place as usual and if you feel your child is not ready talk to the school. You have a long time though, I really would not worry.

When mine were in Reception their teacher told me that most of the first term is spent just getting them to sit still on the carpet.

CosmicOwl Sun 21-Feb-16 10:11:10

www.theguardian.com/education/2015/sep/08/parents-of-summer-born-children-get-right-to-delay-start-of-school

The above article might interest you Abbinob, My now 8yr old Ds is a late August born, if I'd had this option I would have taken it. I work as a TA in reception and it really does depend on the child, but I believe my Ds would have been far more suited to waiting a year.

witsender Sun 21-Feb-16 10:16:45

I have an August born who never went to preschool. She loved reception but is flagging now in yr1. I think we will be De- regging at Easter. They do develop quite quickly, and many take to school very quickly. Just be dictated by them as individuals and don't be swayed by the norm.

My youngest is 4 in May so should start in Sept, he seems much younger than his sister at the same stage!

witsender Sun 21-Feb-16 10:18:42

And yes, you can request a reception entry at 5. Depending on county you will have a different level of discussion with admissions.

Sparklingbrook Sun 21-Feb-16 10:20:25

How does the waiting a Year thing pan out as they go up the school and to Middle/ High School /6th form etc?

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Sun 21-Feb-16 10:20:52

I also say it depends hugely on the individual child.

My September born DS1 was less ready for the formal school environment than my August born DD. Despite DD being 11 months younger than DS1 at the time of starting.

If, nearer the time, you feel your DS still isn't ready you could always look in to the options in your local area.

In our LEA, they seem to expect you to 'miss' a year - so you can opt out of Reception year but would then start in Year 1 instead of being the eldest in Reception.

DamedifYouDo Sun 21-Feb-16 10:26:15

My summer born dd started full time nursery at the local primary school the September after she was 3. She absolutely loved it and had no problems at all!!! Wait and see nearer to the time, all children are different.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now