Talk

Advanced search

to wonder if people would admit to voting "leave" in the EU Referendum?

(331 Posts)
evilcherub Sat 20-Feb-16 15:38:46

Apparently there is a lot of inconsistency in answers when pollsters phone people and ask for their decision on Brexit compared to answers given online (respondents are more likely to say they will vote to "remain" on the phone but in online polls say they will vote to "leave"). I wonder if people admitting that they are going to vote "leave" is seen as taboo in the same way that nobody apparently voted for the Tories in the GE grin. If you are intending to vote "leave" would you admit it to friends and family (especially if you think they are more likely to vote "remain") or are you afraid of being called a Little Englander?

poemontheocean Sat 20-Feb-16 15:40:42

I would admit it, yes, but I'm fairly confident no one would accuse me of being a Little Englander!

VertigoNun Sat 20-Feb-16 15:47:06

We had this discussion in our CLP and I said I am voting to leave. I don't see any shame in it. I explained my reasons and everyone is still speaking to me. grin

wasonthelist Sat 20-Feb-16 15:49:32

This could be an interesting phenomenon.

There are other factors at work too, I suspect. I think many people find it hard to imagine that a "no" vote would actually be allowed to stand - so they might as well not bother to vote or vote for the status quo.

Noofly Sat 20-Feb-16 15:51:37

I am voting to leave. Being a former American living in Scotland, I'd find it highly entertaining to be called a little Englander.

EponasWildDaughter Sat 20-Feb-16 15:52:00

I don't feel any stigma attached to wanting to vote leave confused

I'd tell anyone that was interested.

allegretto Sat 20-Feb-16 15:54:36

I am still so annoyed that I can't vote - this referendum is a joke.

notamummy10 Sat 20-Feb-16 15:55:32

I'm voting to leave the EU!! I'm not ashamed to admit it, it's what the country needs if I'm honest.

edwinbear Sat 20-Feb-16 15:56:52

I will be voting to leave, as will most people I know. Can't see why anybody wouldn't want to tell people that?

GoblinLittleOwl Sat 20-Feb-16 15:57:35

Why on earth would you not admit voting to leave? ( or stay, for that matter).
It is a free vote, based on how you judge all the available evidence and information, and obviously how you think it will affect you.
I voted in 1975 and shall vote the opposite way this time.

MadisonMontgomery Sat 20-Feb-16 15:57:47

Voting to leave - not ashamed of it either.

Katenka Sat 20-Feb-16 15:57:53

I am still deciding but I think it will be a vote to leave.

I also voted Tory at the last GE. Is that something people don't like saying?

NotDavidTennant Sat 20-Feb-16 15:59:44

I think there will actually be a very vocal 'leave' campaign similar to the 'leave' campaign in the Scottish independence referendum.

DrDreReturns Sat 20-Feb-16 15:59:55

You may be onto something there op. I was speaking to a lady on the train last week who maintained that it was racist to want to leave the EU. I will vote to stay in but its not racism to want to leave the EU. Attitudes like hers may make no voters more reticent about voicing their opinions. They are also counterproductive for the stay in campaign IMO.

evilcherub Sat 20-Feb-16 16:09:37

The attitude I have come across (in London) is that if you want out then you are uncultured, possibly racist, ignorant, nationalistic and narrow minded/naive. If you to stay then you are liberal, worldly wise, intellectual and tolerant. This is just from discussions with friends and family (most of whom are very "right-on"). I am vote leave btw. When I admitted this to a close relative she looked at me like I had sprouted devils horns grin.

Ineedtimeoff Sat 20-Feb-16 16:13:45

I'm a vote to stay. Those that I know who are voting no have been quite vocal about it. I suspect you may be right though which is very worrying.

girlandboy Sat 20-Feb-16 16:15:24

DH and I own our own business and it would probably be more advantageous for us personally to stay in the EU. But we're both going to vote to leave.

And I don't care what people think.

BabyGanoush Sat 20-Feb-16 16:20:45

I feel that I should vote 'leave"

I have been reading the Times/Telegraph/Guardian and I am not sure how I have been brainwashed/programmed but instinctively i feel that leaving would be good.

The big issues being chaos in Europe in terms of finance (Greece has not been sorted out yet!) and immigration. I also hate unelected bureaucrat fat cat making rules/laws. It's deeply undemocratic! the European parliament has no real power, the bureaucrats decide everything and I don't trust the nepotist fat cats in Brussels.

And I am saying this as an immigrant, who can't even vote confused

I must have been brainwashed!

Nobody asks me what I think in real life, as everyone assumes I would vote "in" if I were to vote, for reasons of self interest (would I need a visa now?!).

MonkeyBarKid1 Sat 20-Feb-16 16:22:19

I'm voting to leave. The last few times I've been in Europe (Brussels, berlin and Ansterdam), I've been disturbed by the atmosphere of menace caused by gangs of young male immigrants hanging round hassling people.
I heard one guy in Brussels say to a girl of about 15 "I want to fuck you, it would be worth the rape sentence"
She was just walking down the street.
If we stay in Europe all of those pple who get European passports are going to be here before we know it.
I'd actually rather the economy suffers slightly than have this country become unrecognisable.

Mouseinahole Sat 20-Feb-16 16:23:49

I'll vote to leave and so will dh.

Woodhill Sat 20-Feb-16 16:24:52

everyone I know wants to leave but this is family and I wouldn't discuss it in work. I want to leave too.

SonyaAtTheSamovar Sat 20-Feb-16 16:25:53

It is about democracy for me so I have no qualms about saying so. I want to have some democratic power to boot out the rulers.

edwinbear Sat 20-Feb-16 16:27:05

I'm also in London OP and not come across that attitude at all - yet.

YakTriangle Sat 20-Feb-16 16:28:41

I've heard a lot of people saying they will vote Leave, and very few saying Stay. It's possible it might turn out that the opposite is true.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 20-Feb-16 16:32:44

At the moment I'm voting to leave.

I think currently the discussions are in good spirit, possibly because a lot of people are still making up their mind. I've been discussing it openly with friends, but had a first cutting comment the other day about it (my decision to leave).

TI think as time goes by and people make up their minds and start arguing for that case, that the debate will become a lot more angry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now