Talk

Advanced search

Spitting feathers about non delivery

(25 Posts)
ProfessorPreciseaBug Sat 20-Feb-16 12:41:27

We need a new PC urgently for work. Sourced on on Ebuyer and paid extra for delivery today.

Looked on Yodell website to see they are not going to deliver it today. They can't recognise a residential address when they see it. We are now really in a mess. We have no alternative but to go and buy something from somewhere like PC World.

Really not happy....

CoffeeCoffeeAndLotsOfIt Sat 20-Feb-16 21:54:20

If you paid extra to have it today, they should have delivered it today. Yanbu

Oysterbabe Sat 20-Feb-16 21:57:30

Doesn't spitting feathers mean you're thirsty?

EBearhug Sat 20-Feb-16 22:02:23

Even if it wasn't a residential address, plenty of businesses operate on Saturdays.

If you paid extra for the delivery, then I would definitely be complaining.

Yodel have been over-efficient here, and the deliveries I was told would happen on Saturday actually happened on Thursday and Friday. They are days I'm not there, unlike Saturday, when I've been in nearly all day. It is all sorted, but why tell me it will be delivered Saturday if it won't be?

Bumpinthenight Sat 20-Feb-16 22:02:27

Depends how old you are Oysterbabe www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/spitting-feathers.html. It means angry to me.

Very annoying OP. Can you phone Yodel and help them find you?

NewLife4Me Sat 20-Feb-16 22:02:28

I wouldn't be happy at all.
Not sure what being thirsty has to do with it though grin]
Call them, email them and get discount for your inconvenience.

stravagante Sat 20-Feb-16 22:15:32

I'd be furious.
Spitting feathers means furious to me.

samesizetoes Sat 20-Feb-16 23:28:12

I'd have gone to PC world in the first place.

I ordered a new laptop a few weeks ago less than 18 hours later it was delivered and I was playing on it.

xenapants Sun 21-Feb-16 07:14:27

Spitting feathers means thirsty. I think you meant spitting fire, OP.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 21-Feb-16 07:18:37

Yanbu. Online shopping only really works if you're always home. The info available about deliveries is rarely good enough.
I won't buy anything at all from PC World as I think they (and Currys) are dreadful. I'd rather take my chances with a courier.

Flashbangandgone Sun 21-Feb-16 07:37:22

Spitting feathers means thirsty. I think you meant spitting fire OP

It can mean being angry too... In fact the OPs usage is the more common one I'd say, at least it is in the UK.

Flashbangandgone Sun 21-Feb-16 07:38:57

www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/spitting-feathers.html

Means angry round these 'ere parts. Idioms are interesting. Well, the geek in me finds them interesting enough to have a 'dictionary' of idioms on my bookshelf.

Mouthfulofquiz Sun 21-Feb-16 07:48:30

Spitting feathers definitely means angry round here!

MamaLazarou Sun 21-Feb-16 08:23:49

Spitting feathers means you're thirsty!

ClemFandagoDoesTheTango Sun 21-Feb-16 08:34:16

Means you're angry to me. I'm in Yorkshire and grew up in West mids.

Helpful comment samesize hmm

Flashbangandgone Sun 21-Feb-16 08:42:14

I'd never heard of if being used to mean 'thirsty' until this thread.... Only ever heard it used in the context of anger... Have lived in Yorkshire, West Midlands and Home Counties!

ScarletForYa Sun 21-Feb-16 08:46:22

Angry here too.

wasonthelist Sun 21-Feb-16 09:03:51

Ordered once from e-buyer, had this exact problem, never again. At least you can cancel/return but agree it's shite - they shouldn't offer services they can't provide.

Hassled Sun 21-Feb-16 09:06:04

I was going to say spitting feathers for thirsty makes no sense (except I suppose feathers are dry?) - but then spitting feathers for anger makes even less sense. I've never heard the thirsty explanation before.

Sallyingforth Sun 21-Feb-16 09:20:20

YABU to rely on Yodel to deliver anything on time to the right address. Sorry!

KoalaDownUnder Sun 21-Feb-16 09:22:23

Means angry here. (Aus).

YANBU. This kind of thing drives me nuts.

Wardrobespierre Sun 21-Feb-16 09:28:11

I think it meant thirsty for hundreds of years and then some time in the last 50 years somebody decided to use it for angry and it changed. To me it means thirsty and conjures the notion well.

Lots of phrases are actually used incorrectly but common and prevalent usage means they're accepted that way. Seize the day for example. Or blood is thicker than water. Or the proof is in the pudding.

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Sun 21-Feb-16 09:34:04

I've heard spitting feathers used in both contexts. I've always imagined it in the angry context as being so cross you are barrelling about like a furious hen.

pippistrelle Sun 21-Feb-16 09:41:59

Exactly what Wardrobespierre said on 'spitting feathers'.

But you are not at all unreasonable to be very angry and spitting tacks about non-delivery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now