Talk

Advanced search

Advice re prescription

(201 Posts)
poemontheocean Sat 20-Feb-16 10:52:08

In here for traffic (sorry.)

I had a prescription for pain relief faxed through to a pharmacy 2 days ago and I've realised I'm not going to have enough to last after tomorrow.

Due in work first thing Monday - won't have a chance to see the doctor.

What do you think the best thing to do is? Should I call OOH today or tomorrow?

Appreciate advice smile thanks.

LIZS Sat 20-Feb-16 10:53:38

Has the pharmacy not processed it yet? Could they expedite it?

poemontheocean Sat 20-Feb-16 10:55:24

I mean, I will run out of the pain relief - in other words I have the pain relief with me now but it will only last today and tomorrow. smile

SecretSpy Sat 20-Feb-16 10:56:55

OOH is for emergencies not for being too busy to see your own GP hmm

Most pharmacies will be open today, so ring the pharmacy first and see if you can collect them. Alternatively you could arrange a telephone consult on Monday so the surgery can leave you another prescription out.

MadisonAvenue Sat 20-Feb-16 10:58:05

Contact the pharmacy. The one I use dispense the medications as soon as the prescription arrives with them despite the advice that it takes 2 working days.

poemontheocean Sat 20-Feb-16 10:59:31

It's not that I'm too busy Secret

I very, very rarely go to the doctor - last time was April 2012 so I am hardly single handedly bringing down the nhs.

However on Thursday night I was experiencing severe pain, I wasn't physically able to get to the ooh service but the doctor very kindly faxed the prescription through to the pharmacy (which I paid for - not that it matters but ...)

I am on holiday this week but back on Monday and I really can't not go in.

But I don't think I can without some pain relief - not unless it eases significantly anyway.

poemontheocean Sat 20-Feb-16 11:00:12

But I already have my medication.

Don't I need the doctor to enable me to get a repeat prescription?

MadisonAvenue Sat 20-Feb-16 11:00:47

Also, if there's a problem with your prescription, ie it's not been received in time and you're going to run out of meds, the pharmacist can issue you with an emergency supply.

Gobbolinothewitchscat Sat 20-Feb-16 11:03:33

Phone the doc and see if he'll give a private prescription again

Hope you're ok and having what is causing g the pain treated

poemontheocean Sat 20-Feb-16 11:03:34

I think I'm not being clear - sorry - this is all quite new to me, I don't normally see the doctor or have medication.

I had one prescription faxed to the pharmacy on Thursday night.

I need another prescription of the same medication. It doesn't remove the pain completely but it does help stop the spasms I've been experiencing which are really quite eye wateringly painful!

However I'm going to run out tomorrow night and I'm assuming I can't just rock up at the chemist and ask for more of the same - it has to come from the doctor?

Obviously I should have seen then yesterday but I didn't realise how quickly I'd get through the painkillers and I also hoped it would be improving and it hasn't really.

insancerre Sat 20-Feb-16 11:04:16

I would ring ooh again and ask for more medication
I expect they will tell you to see your gp on monday
Can you not get an emergency appointment Monday morning at the gp and go into work a bit late

poemontheocean Sat 20-Feb-16 11:04:21

Thanks Gobblin smile I hate being a nuisance but I doubt I'd be able to get to work Monday without some pain relief and I have to!

poemontheocean Sat 20-Feb-16 11:04:57

I can't unfortunately in; besides, I just wouldn't be physically able to get to the GP without pain relief I don't think.

MadisonAvenue Sat 20-Feb-16 11:05:02

Ok, you need a repeat prescription from the doctor? Not that there's a prescription waiting for you to pick up at a pharmacy? Is this something that you already have on repeat prescription?
If your doctor is open today then give them a call and see what can be done.

LIZS Sat 20-Feb-16 11:05:20

So you already got the meds from the prescription but now need more? Did they really not give more than a few days supply? Are you on a repeat prescription with the pharmacy, as they may be able to access it and get surgery to authorise if you go now.

poemontheocean Sat 20-Feb-16 11:05:44

No, it's not a repeat prescription as it was prescribed for the first time on Thursday but the rest is correct, yes.

UndramaticPause Sat 20-Feb-16 11:06:53

Where did this myth abouy pharmacies giving you your regular meds without a prescription come from? My pharmacy fucked up and ordered the wrong medication off my repeat list but refused to issue what I needed and told me I had to go to my Dr. They need a prescription to issue

poemontheocean Sat 20-Feb-16 11:08:23

Yes I thought that was the case - so I wouldn't be unreasonable to ring up today and say 'please could I have some more drugs!' would I? smile

SmokingGun Sat 20-Feb-16 11:08:34

If it's something like diazepam then I think OOH Dr's, A&E, etc tend to only give a couple of days to stop people with addictions abusing the system. You might find that they refuse to give you another prescription as you should have tried to see your GP on Friday.

Ameliablue Sat 20-Feb-16 11:09:10

Just to understand, you are in severe pain enough to need prescribed pain killers as opposed to something for the pharmacy it you haven't been checked over by a doctor and it isn't an existing condition. To be honest I would not expect a doctor to give you a further prescription without being seen.

poemontheocean Sat 20-Feb-16 11:10:02

I doubt it, I haven't actually yet been seen by a GP. It isn't diazepam - it's a strongish painkiller though not strong enough!

LIZS Sat 20-Feb-16 11:10:24

Have you taken more than was advised already, hence why the supply is low. Could you take fewer and eek it out until Monday. If you are in too much pain to work on Monday ( and I guess it may yet ease by then) you'll simply need to ring surgery first thing for an emergency appointment.

Thymeout Sat 20-Feb-16 11:10:52

What is the medication? It sounds as if he prescribed only a limited amount, if it was faxed 2 days ago and you'll run out on Monday.

I think the regs are v strict on prescription painkillers because people get addicted to them and there are addicts trying to circumvent the system. Doubt if the pharmacist will be able to help.

I'd call OOH today and see what they say.

poemontheocean Sat 20-Feb-16 11:11:16

Amelia it's something in my back though, which they seem unable to do anything about so what can you do?

Plus it is extraordinarily difficult for me to physically get to a doctor at the moment - I really don't think i'd be able to manage it.

britnay Sat 20-Feb-16 11:11:38

How many days supply was the prescription for? Did the doctor mention that you might need to make another appointment if the pain continued?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now