Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To feel less safe where I live than ever before

(19 Posts)
shebird Sat 20-Feb-16 09:48:48

Perhaps it's getting older or being a mum and becoming more aware of potential dangers, but I feel less safe in the town where I live than ever before.

Just walking around I am increasingly aware of dodgy looking characters, and feel very uneasy any time DD1 goes out with her friends. I feel sad that she has less freedom than I did just because the streets are now the domain of petty criminals. The local news seems to have daily stories people being mugged for cash and phones, cash point knife robberies and people being beaten up just for walking alone. It just seems to be accepted that this is how it is now and police seem just to be powerless or unable to deal with 'low level' street crime. I very rarely see Police or PSCOs on the beat only zipping past in a car on their way to the latest victim.

AIBU?

ilovesooty Sat 20-Feb-16 09:52:17

I'm sure petty criminals were around before the use of media impacted on public awareness.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sat 20-Feb-16 09:52:50

Yabu

And how do you know all that about all the police in your area? Or are you just assuming it to make your post more 'credible'?

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sat 20-Feb-16 09:53:34

'Dodgy looking characters'.... Can you expand on that?

deregistered Sat 20-Feb-16 09:55:15

You sound like you might be suffering anxiety or depression to be honest. Is that a possibility?

The world is no more dangerous than it ever was. I live in East/central London and always have. Don't feel any more or less nervous than I did in the 70s and 80s (I'm old). No more 'dodgy' people than ever before.

Lj8893 Sat 20-Feb-16 09:55:26

Dramatic much?! Where do you live, the ghetto?

shebird Sat 20-Feb-16 09:59:56

As I said maybe it is part of being a parent and loosing the naivety of youth wink

However I have lived and worked in the same place for many years. I walk down the same streets every day and I am just observing how it has changed and I don't feel as safe as I did 10 years ago.

Lj8893 Sat 20-Feb-16 10:02:41

I still think it's quite dramatic. I am a parent and live in the same place I've always lived in too.

mudandmayhem01 Sat 20-Feb-16 10:05:17

Have a look on the police.uk website, you can see how many actual crimes have been committed in your neighbourhood. In think in general the trend is down for most crimes.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sat 20-Feb-16 10:05:54

Odd thread!

Crispbutty Sat 20-Feb-16 10:06:28

It actually is a less unsafe now because people carry much more expensive items with them. Mobile phones, designer items etc and thieves do target those that look more vulnerable. I lived in a London borough until recently and the petty crime rate was atrocious.

NeedsAsockamnesty Sat 20-Feb-16 10:20:56

20 years ago without a care in the world I would have staggered down the street pissed as arseholes by myself without a care in the world at 3am.

I wouldn't now but perhaps I'm just not being as reckless as I used to be

MrsDeVere Sat 20-Feb-16 10:25:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sparklycat Sat 20-Feb-16 10:28:08

I agree, I used to walk home from work at 11pm in the dark and now I would not. It's not because I've got older and more 'scared' it's because crime is def on the increase where I live and we all know there have been and will be further police cuts. Our town police station is closing down.

gingerdad Sat 20-Feb-16 10:30:16

Not seen any changes here. Don't feel any less safe. And I for one prefer not to see "bobbies on the beat" what a total waste of resources and one of the most ineffective ways of policing.

Mistigri Sat 20-Feb-16 10:33:02

I think this is mostly about perception tbh, you are protective of your children and that's normal.

I think UK cities have generally become safer, certainly when I'm in London now I feel a lot safer when out at night than in the late 70s and early 80s when I was a teenager (and I am fairly sure that objectively, I really am safer).

WeAllHaveWings Sat 20-Feb-16 10:33:54

I know what you mean, as I get older (very late 40's now and have ds(12) who wants to loosen the apron strings) I do feel more aware of these things.

For example I am more aware of the risks when driving and the fragility of the human body if it was in a crash than I ever was when I was younger.

It doesn't consume my thoughts, impact my driving or my day to day life, I am just more aware of the damage that could be done when someone does a risky manoeuvre on the road. If it did impact your life then you maybe need to do something about it, but increased awareness itself is not an issue.

I think we just become less carefree and a bit more cautious as we and our dc become older.

sparkleface Sat 20-Feb-16 10:38:06

I think you need to read fewer sensationalist stories in the newspapers. You'll feel a lot better for it.

Thundercrackers Sat 20-Feb-16 11:01:14

What a load of catty replies! Honestly.

Op I know what you mean but I think a lot of it is, as others have already said, the impact of a 24hr news culture where column inches and TV minutes have to be filled. I think you are absolutely right to be wary but try to be mindful that there have always been baddies about and that it's important to educate our kids in how to judge and deal with risk through supporting them in exploring the real world. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now