to want my kitchen appliances to be less needy?

(75 Posts)
LemonShizzleCake Fri 19-Feb-16 23:39:30

They're all at it.

The dishwasher beeps about 8 times when it's finished. Then 10 minutes later, if you haven't opened it, it does it again. And so on, apparently forever. Loud enough to hear throughout the entire house.

The microwave is only mildly needy - if you don't open it when it's finished, it waits 30 seconds or so and then squawks at you again, as if you might have forgotten your baked beans chocolate mug cake steamed veggies.

But the piece de resistance is the washing machine, which plays a ridiculously long TUNE at the end of the cycle and I can't find how to turn the sodding thing off. Drives me and DH to distraction.

Anyone else's kitchen appliances need therapy?

thenightsky Fri 19-Feb-16 23:43:20

Major issue in this house too. Microwave needs to go 'ding' once... not beep, beep, beep, beep etc.

Dishwasher, washer, drier etc... just flash a bit of a light... that'll do.

Worst of all is our doorbell though... When I press the key to lock or unlock my car, the doorbell chimes up with random nursery rhymes or Old Suzanna etc.

Fatmomma99 Fri 19-Feb-16 23:45:31

My washing machine plays a tune too. I think it's because it's happy in it's work.

LemonShizzleCake Sat 20-Feb-16 00:06:36

happy in its work Fatmomma grin I hadn't thought of it like that.

LemonShizzleCake Sat 20-Feb-16 00:09:18

Also that doorbell sounds bloody awful. Ours is pretty pants now I come to think of it - periodically decides it's just not going to work, so parcels get undelivered even when we're home, or visitors stand out in the rain for ages. Then you go and test it and it's fine.

Contrary little shit.

PaulAnkaTheDog Sat 20-Feb-16 00:12:16

Lemon are you me? Do I have a split personality? hmm

VimFuego101 Sat 20-Feb-16 00:12:55

Mine are just patronizing. My microwave smugly tells me to 'enjoy my food' and my fridge beeps at me like an annoying mother in law if I leave the door open.

BeeRose30 Sat 20-Feb-16 00:13:00

My mum's washing machine sings a tune. One of my sisters and I made up words so we can sing along. We're aged 29 and 31 blush

Fatmomma99 Sat 20-Feb-16 00:13:58

I'm sure my washing machine is very happy to be so utilised!

I want to punch my microwave, though. That is a discontent machine!

vulgarbunting Sat 20-Feb-16 00:14:46

We have an inbuilt coffee machine in our house which is unbelievably demanding. Every other minute it's all 'empty trays', 'more beans', 'add water', 'clean me'. Urgh.

MrsTerryPratchett Sat 20-Feb-16 00:16:43

My rice cooker plays a ridonculous tune too. Better than the water boiler that ignores me when it's empty. letting me guess when it's going to burn my house down.

arethereanyleftatall Sat 20-Feb-16 00:21:52

My fucking cooker.

Fatmomma99 Sat 20-Feb-16 00:24:13

does this thread come under the category of "first world problem"?

80sMum Sat 20-Feb-16 00:26:43

All of my appliances, apart from the dishwasher (which is only 11) are 20+ years old and the only one that makes a noise when completed is the microwave. It emits 5 beeps and then that's it, no reminders.
I sometimes wish it would remind me when I have forgotten that I have left my mug of coffee in there (that would be the same mug of coffee that I had forgotten to drink earlier and decided to reheat in the microwave).

LemonShizzleCake Sat 20-Feb-16 00:43:37

PaulAnka I have no knowledge of being you...are you me? [mysterious emoticon]

Oooh ooh BeeRose is it a samsung one!? If so please tell me the words, this will help brighten my days immeasurably.

Glad it's not just me, though I appreciate it is probably a first world problem. Still, I feel it could eventually tip me over the edge in manner of water torture or similar.

PaulAnkaTheDog Sat 20-Feb-16 01:06:40

This shit could get creepy...

nattyknitter Sat 20-Feb-16 02:11:12

You think they are needy now. I am dreading the internet of things and the days when your fridge can email you to tell you you are out of booze milk. The microwave will be texting you to say you left your coffee.

I'm desperatley avoiding all energy co letters trying to tempt me with a smart meter. I don't trust anything that thinks for itself.

Rearoftheyear Sat 20-Feb-16 03:25:29

I have trained DD1 to turn off the beeping oven. Wherever she is in the house she will come running to press the button to shut it up. Probably my best parenting achievement tbh.

Sometimesithinkimbonkers Sat 20-Feb-16 04:47:08

We bought Bosch.... Dishwasher, washing machine and condensing dryer. The beeps are hell! Add to that DS who is fed by a pump... That screams at you when finished or if he's sat on the tube. I spend my life running after beeping appliances!
I have DS1 and DD in training for the beep marathon ... They need work but I am the gold medalists!

trixymalixy Sat 20-Feb-16 05:18:11

My washing machine is very needy. It does about 10 beeps when it finishes and then repeats about 4 times.

I always try to stop my microwave before it gets to 0 as the beeps drive me nuts. I'm

Dontdrinkandfacebook Sat 20-Feb-16 05:58:13

Lemon you must have exactly the same appliances as me, mine all do the same thing.

The microwave is particularly annoying because it won't stop shouting at me until I've opened it.

CadleCrap Sat 20-Feb-16 07:05:56

I was so pissed off with all the beeps, pings and tunes in my kitchen that I bought a quiet boil kettle to try and save some sanity. The bastard only fucking pings once it has finished. Bastard kettle.

ftmsoon Sat 20-Feb-16 07:19:50

My washing machine beeps a merry little tune when it's finished, it's very happy in its work! I could turn it off, but I like it!
The dishwasher beeps 4 or 5 times when it's done, then sits happily silent till you open the door and it beeps again! No idea why, but I have worked out if I turn it off before I open it, it can't beep!
The microwave, however, I could happily cook metal in! Very loud, piercing, electronic noise three times and again and again and again! I don't know how many reminders it will give as, like trixy , I try to turn it off before 0.

OohMavis Sat 20-Feb-16 07:21:46

My kitchen sounds the same as yours, right down to the cheerful washing machine, though I can tell you how to mute it if you have an ecobubble if that's any use OP? First thing I worked out when I turned it on.

I bought a tumble dryer before Christmas and it also shouts at me sad

Eva50 Sat 20-Feb-16 07:31:56

I'm with 80sMum. My appliances are so old only the microwave makes a noise and it's only a quick beep. I am slightly worried at the noise the (equally old) central heating makes as I'm sure it's supposed to run quietly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now