Talk

Advanced search

To find bump nicknames a bit strange

(94 Posts)
TeaOnEverest Fri 19-Feb-16 15:09:49

I understand nicknaming the baby before it's born, and the couple using that occasionally between themselves- jellybean, or pip, or what have you.

However someone on my FB has nicknamed their baby Li'l Fishy, and they have referred to it as Li'l Fishy constantly. I thought nicknames happened organically, but friends and family were informed of the bump nickname they had decided upon. She is a bit of a pregzilla tbh, so I'm probably BU purely due to the amount of times I have read and heard the name Li'l Fishy over the past few months, but I was quite surprised when they announced the baby as "Baby Li'l Fishy"

That was a few days ago, no other name yet... Maybe they are going to stick with the nickname forever!

theycallmemellojello Fri 19-Feb-16 15:11:44

Meh, I always thought it was mega-cringe but then I used a really cutesy nn with my dh for my bump. L'il Fishy is kind of cute I guess.

WorraLiberty Fri 19-Feb-16 15:12:29

YANBU

Having read your OP, I can never unread it.

I have an irrational urge to punch you in the face, just for typing it and yet I don't even know you blush

TeaOnEverest Fri 19-Feb-16 15:13:19

I'm so sorry, Worra grin

WorraLiberty Fri 19-Feb-16 15:13:27

Can you ask if it's definitely her bump she's nick named and not her vagina?

MyFavouriteClintonisGeorge Fri 19-Feb-16 15:15:04

Possibly for a first child. With subsequent children, the older siblings will probably name it something funny anyway. My nephews were insistent that the bump was called Tonyblair (said as one word) for a couple of weeks, then gave the bump another nickname that stuck until the birth.

TeaOnEverest Fri 19-Feb-16 15:15:42

They've gone with some fish themed stuff in the nursery, so I bloody hope so, unless they're swapping bedrooms grin

icelollycraving Fri 19-Feb-16 15:16:35

My bump was called Elvis.

WorraLiberty Fri 19-Feb-16 15:17:36

I couldn't name a bump Tony Blair, for fear of having a really long labour...

crumblybiscuits Fri 19-Feb-16 15:18:51

I call my bump Froglet blush
I lost my DD2 at 16 weeks so I don't like saying baby number two as this is DD3 for us but I don't want to have to explain that to everyone. Partners last name begins with a P too and it's not cute calling it 'Baby P'.

RudeElf Fri 19-Feb-16 15:18:52

Can you ask if it's definitely her bump she's nick named and not her vagina

grin

pigsDOfly Fri 19-Feb-16 15:20:43

Li'l Fishy? Dear god.

TheCatsMeow Fri 19-Feb-16 15:20:54

I don't get it either. I called my baby by his name!

RudeElf Fri 19-Feb-16 15:20:55

My sister decided my bump had a name and insisted on calling it that. I hated it and objected but she has stuck with it. DS is 6 now and she still only calls him that name. He hates it too. She's a dose grin

xalyssx Fri 19-Feb-16 15:26:28

I called my bump "Bumpy"... grin

Oysterbabe Fri 19-Feb-16 15:27:24

I quite like a bump nickname and called mine Barbie because baby was conceived on honeymoon in Barbados.

unimaginativename13 Fri 19-Feb-16 15:29:52

Ours was just Baby Surname.

I also hate naming the baby before its born. It's just wrong.

So posting all over FB with the babies name....... I also feel like it's tempting fate too much.

OTheHugeManatee Fri 19-Feb-16 15:31:35

My bump's working title is Radox. It's mostly to pre-empt baby name speculation, and because it will do nicely for either a girl or a boy grin

Writerwannabe83 Fri 19-Feb-16 15:31:51

My friend called her bump "Bambi" and it really grated on me grin

VinceNoirLovesHowardMoon Fri 19-Feb-16 15:33:27

Hahahaha omg what a total knob

I think bump nicknames are naff as fuck, I have a friend who insists in doing it and it makes me cringe. Nothing as bad as lil fishy though!

jusdepamplemousse Fri 19-Feb-16 15:33:49

Oh god so cringe in general but 'lil fishy' is HORRIBLE as well as cringe.

But I don't even get it, do your friends and family need a name for your bump?! Why?! I can't imagine my mother's face if given such instruction. Actually I can. That would be enough to dissuade anyone!

WordGetsAround Fri 19-Feb-16 15:34:37

Hysterical Worra! Love it

OTheHugeManatee Fri 19-Feb-16 15:36:22

Your friend, however, deserves to be shot just for contracting 'little' to 'lil'. And for boring on about her unborn baby on Facebook. Imagine what it'll be like when she gives birth.

CaptainCrunch Fri 19-Feb-16 15:36:41

My DD's bump name was Monkfish funnily enough. It was because of The Fast Show, there was a daft sketch with a Detective played by Simon Day called Monkfish and it just made us laugh.

DS never got a nickname, couldn't be bothered.

ShamefulPlaceMarker Fri 19-Feb-16 15:36:46

Yanbu. I'm with worra I even cringe when people call it bump!
Then again, I called mine it, and my mil got v annoyed and told me to call it baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now