Girls and boys clothing

(48 Posts)
awfullyproper Fri 19-Feb-16 10:42:38

Something I've been meaning to start a thread on is the gender difference in the construction of children's clothes.
Girls shoes that are slippery and more difficult to run and climb in, which presumably can inhibit physical development. lacy cardigans with sequins on them. I know. Don't buy them, but why do I have to go to the boys' section to get a decent hoodie or unslippery shoes, or, as in Next, plimsolls for PE? "sorry we only sell plimsolls for boys" WTF?!?!?

ProcrastinatorGeneral Fri 19-Feb-16 10:45:23

M&S is good for sand shoes, tesco isn't too shabby either.

I used to get cross about gender divided clothing, until my daughter showed me that buying what the duck you fancy is easy when you don't have any shots to givegrin

CantWaitForWarmWeather Fri 19-Feb-16 10:49:10

I'm sure you can get zip up hoodies for girls at least? Places like Asda will sell them. I'm sure somewhere will sell proper hoodies for girls too. Sports Direct?
As for shoes, I have no idea. I thought pumps for pe were for both genders.

wigglesrock Fri 19-Feb-16 10:51:24

I've never noticed girls slippery soles with regards to climbing/jumping. I get plain black plimsolls/indoors from Tesco/Asda/Sainsbury - Sainsburys have unisex (their words) velcro indoors for £2.50. Most of my dds shoes come from Sainsburys or Sports Direct.

My dds don't wear cardigans - they tend to get hoodys from Primark/ Dunnes/ H&M/supermarkets.

Penguito Fri 19-Feb-16 10:55:45

Plenty of places do sturdy trainers/ shoes in the girls department which aren't slippery. I've never had to buy my daughter boys trainers and she's been able to run and play and climb fine. Yes some clothes have sequins and glitter and ribbons but plenty don't. You can get plenty of plain coloured hoodies or fleeces. It's personal preference

YouSaffBridge Fri 19-Feb-16 10:58:38

I don't get the gender difference either.

I mean, I don't find it too hard to find non-lacy, non-pink clothing for DD. Asda do loads of skinny/slim fit jeans and good plain t-shirts, and Nutmeg (Morrisons) to fantastic zip-up hoodies.

But I do know what you mean, sometimes there is a real difference in the practicality of the clothes. Shoes in particular - toddler girls shoes often tend to be Mary Jane's that don't look very practical for wet weather.

Having said that, kids can do whatever they want in any clothing. Though I'll admit my DD struggles to manage the toilet sometimes in big dresses and tights, as compared to jeans.

AnnaMarlowe Fri 19-Feb-16 11:04:19

Erm, I have boy girl twins. I've never had problems buying practical non slippy shoes, hoodys or plimsolls for my daughter. Where on earth are you shopping?

I'm not entirely clear just how a lacy, sequinned cardy 'inhibits development' personally, but if you don't like them - don't buy them.

My DD loves interesting colours, textures and a bit of sparkle, she has a very clear, self defined sense of style. Her clothes have never once held her back from doing anything she wanted to do.

We have a super picture of both children, filthy and happy, climbing a tree in their party clothes.

AuntieUrsula Fri 19-Feb-16 11:05:33

This annoyed me too when the kids were little, especially the shoes - cute little Mary Janes for pre-schoolers which were totally unsuited to the park in November. I ended up getting German Ricosta shoes and boots from local independent shoe shop, which are great but not cheap!

For clothes you normally can find plainer stuff, particularly for little kids. We found Next and H&M good and Asda. And you have to bear in mind lots of parents do dress their little girls in sequiny cardies, otherwise manufacturers wouldn't bother making them!

Oldraver Fri 19-Feb-16 11:15:47

You need a sports shop... I have posted this already this week...I dont work for them honest but when there is a sale on they are really good value. I got DS the play boots for £8

Mountain Warehouse

RedFlagsOnTheRight Fri 19-Feb-16 11:22:07

Just buy from the boys section. I have a DS and am saving all his clothes for next baby in case I have a girl. There are loads of non-blue things out there. I also buy the odd tshirt or pair of trousers from girls section as they're more colourful and there's a bigger range of styles. It's a shame there isn't a unisex section, when they're babies all the clothes are a similar cut.

awfullyproper Fri 19-Feb-16 11:33:52

I'm not saying that they're not available anywhere, just that there's a noticeable general divide. Look at Clarks school shoes.

Waffles80 Fri 19-Feb-16 11:41:17

Clarks 'girls' shoes are far less practical than their 'boy' equivalents. They are, for example, often open at the front which means feet get wet if raining. Drives me crackers.

Yes, could buy boys' shoes for my DDs but I don't think they'd stand for it. Takes a lot of scouring to find really practical girls' shoes.

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Fri 19-Feb-16 11:43:39

We walk to school every day and most girls shoes are not suitable for wet weather. It is always a hassle to find DD school shoes that are appropriate and that she actually likes (ie. don't look like boys shoes). How difficult is it to make shoes that actually cover their feet?

My other gripe is that unless we buy pink clothes, it's tricky to find clothes that mix and match. She has some clothes in colours other than pink, but they are nearly always an 'outfit' that won't really go with anything else. Denim skirts help, but it's still tricky.

YouSaffBridge Fri 19-Feb-16 11:46:53

I've just had a look at the Clarks girls school shoes, as we'll be doing this for the first time in September. There are so few that aren't quite open shock Out of 36 styles that come back, only 3 look like they'd be solid in the rain or cold. Boys get black trainers, girls get Mary Jane's?

(Am I missing a tip here on where to find good quality black girls school shoes then?)

SaucyJack Fri 19-Feb-16 11:48:00

I think you have the perceived disadvantage the wrong way round.

I've never struggled to buy practical clothing for my DDs- in addition to all the sparkly, frilly stuff that both the younger ones like to dress up in.

It's boys' clothing that doesn't have the variety. It's all jeans and hoodys in mustard and burgundy- with Marvel t-shirts to wear underneath.

Katenka Fri 19-Feb-16 11:49:49

I have had plenty of shoes with good grip, designed for running and jumping for dd.

Plenty of cardigans and hoodies with no sequins on.

I shop all over and never had. A problem buy practical clothes for my dd or ds.

Dd is very sporty and usually found in practical, sequin less clothing.

Her friends are the same so their parents obviously find them as well.

And I have never heard of a shop selling plimsoles only for boys.

Smoothyloopy Fri 19-Feb-16 11:52:11

I have one of each & have never had any issues finding practical clothing for either.

SaucyJack Fri 19-Feb-16 11:53:45

"Out of 36 styles that come back, only 3 look like they'd be solid in the rain or cold. Boys get black trainers, girls get Mary Jane's?"

But come summer when it's 27 degrees outside, girls get lightweight Mary Janes and boys have to wear this kinda thing to school.

Swings and roundabouts innit.

LilacSpunkMonkey Fri 19-Feb-16 11:54:12

Girls school shoes are shit in wet weather.

I'm outside at lunchtimes and we try to get the children out where possible but if the ground is wet the majority of children slipping over are girls because their shoes just don't have the grip that boys shoes do. The amount of girls coming up with 'broken' shoes is shocking too. Girls shoes just aren't made to be as sturdy as boys.

Shoe manufacturers need to spend some time in schools and playgrounds, watching children at play. Girls run, jump and climb just as much as boys.

BornToFolk Fri 19-Feb-16 11:57:01

It's boys' clothing that doesn't have the variety. It's all jeans and hoodys in mustard and burgundy- with Marvel t-shirts to wear underneath.

You need to go to H&M! Admittedly, DS lives in jeans (skinny) and hoodies but H&M do them in a wide range of eye-watering colours grin

MoreKopparbergthanKrug Fri 19-Feb-16 11:57:31

I noticed this a few years ago with coats for DD. She was 5 and very definitely wanted a "girls coat" (ie pink and preferably patterned with butterfly's/ponies etc). We're quite an outdoorsy family and live in the countryside so from my POV the coat had to be waterproof and warm.

Over the course of a month or so, as and when I was there, I looked in Asda, Sains, Tesco, Marks. ALL of them had coats to fit my criteria in the "boys" section - usually in blue or sludge brown but none of them had coats to fit DD's criteria that were actually waterproof. Beautiful duffle coats or "shower resistant" jackets but nothing suitable for a family walk/cycle in the rain whereas many of the offerings in the boys section would have been.

We ended up making a special trip to Millets IIRC.

wigglesrock Fri 19-Feb-16 11:57:35

YouSaffBridge I've 3 dds at primary school - they get their school shoes from Sainsburys/Tescos/M&S. The Tesco ones from September past are as good as new for dd2 (and she's the scuffer grin). I replaced the M&S ones for dd3 (she started school) because her feet jumped two sizes.

Usually I need to replace the shoes half way through the year but thats a lot easier when you're paying £14 each time. My kids don't wear Mary Jane type shoes - their arches are too high or something along those lines.

Katenka Fri 19-Feb-16 11:59:20

There isn't a clear divide.

I have had 'best shoes' for ds that weren't running or jumping friendly for a christening. Had some for dd to.

Dd has had loads of practical school shoes from Clarkes that don't go all the way down the front.

AnnaMarlowe Fri 19-Feb-16 12:01:06

We don't shop in Clarks for children's shoes, we use an independent children's shoe shop. However that said my DD wore Mary Jane type school shoes until she was about 7 and never complained about wet feet from the open design (and we live in Scotland!) so I suspect this is a non problem. On very wet days here all the kids wear wellies anyway.

As regards allmybest's comment, I'd have to ask where on earth are you shopping? My DD isn't overly keen on lots of pink and we've never had a problem getting nice outfits in a range of colours - I shop on the high street too.

BackforGood Fri 19-Feb-16 12:08:48

I agree with SaucyJack - girls have the whole range they choose from, boys have far less choice without wearing something that is very much 'making a statement' about it being ok to wear 'girls clothes'.
My dds OTOH have always been able to wear stuff I bought in the first place for ds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now