Talk

Advanced search

To contact after interview?

(11 Posts)
GobiasIndustries Fri 19-Feb-16 10:35:50

I had an interview last week and I think it went really well. I answered every question and could give examples of previous experience to back up what I was saying. I wasn't at all nervous because I never expected to get the job and was just going for interview experience. Although it went well I still thought I wouldn't get the job just because I don't have a lot of experience at this level. The interview was on Wednesday and they said they should know by last Friday. I asked if it would be possible to get feedback if unsuccessful and was told that they do that anyway and contact everyone they've interviewed to let them know either way.

After the interview I sent an email thanking them for meeting me and said how lovely the setting was. I received an email back saying that they enjoyed meeting me and would be in touch soon.

As it's been over a week I assume that I didn't get the job, which isn't a big deal as I never expected it. I have another interview next week for a position not as high up as this and would like to see if I can improve on anything. Would it be unreasonable for me to email again and ask if they have any feedback that I could use to help me?

thesandwich Fri 19-Feb-16 10:36:53

No- email!

MatildaTheCat Fri 19-Feb-16 10:38:59

Do it.

rageagainsttheBIL Fri 19-Feb-16 10:39:29

No I would email, although don't assume you are out of the running, it can often take a while to make a decision if you have two really good but different candidates or maybe business needs are changing etc.

GobiasIndustries Fri 19-Feb-16 10:44:59

Thank you smile

So could I just say something like;

Hi Interviewer,

I appreciate how busy you are and so don't want to bother (maybe a different word?) you but was just wondering if it would be possible to get any feedback following our interview last week? I have another interview next week so would like to know where I need to improve.

Does that sound ok? Would I just end it with a thank you or something else?

thesandwich Fri 19-Feb-16 10:49:07

Don't mention how busy they are.
Dear X. As discussed I would very much appreciate any feedback you can give me following my recent interview to help me improve for an upcoming interview.

Many thanks

theycallmemellojello Fri 19-Feb-16 10:56:18

Definitely don't open with anything resembling this: "I appreciate how busy you are and so don't want to bother." Opening with self-deprecation/apologies does not set you in a good light in case they are still considering you for a role (or might consider you for another in future).

I would actually not send an email which suggests you think you are out of the running. I think a brief message asking when you're likely to hear is best. Only ask for feedback if they tell you you've not got it. Again, it doesn't sound good that you assume you've not got the job - and it may be that they're still considering you (possibly because they've made an offer to someone else which has not been accepted) so you don't want to do anything that casts you in a bad light.

GobiasIndustries Fri 19-Feb-16 11:08:26

That's great advice, thank you so much! This is all very new to me, I worked for one company for twelve years and never waited longer than a day to hear back from an interview and it was always face to face. This was my first interview in almost three years and first one outside of my old company in twelve years!

MrsHathaway Fri 19-Feb-16 11:12:21

thesandwich's wording is good - professional and calm.

Yours is too apologetic: I don't want to bother (maybe a different word?) you implies you're annoying. possible to get any feedback nagging/wheedling! I need to improve - don't tell them that!

Bear in mind that for any position it's good to demonstrate appropriately assertive email skills! They don't want to employ someone who shouts or who creeps.

Dear X

Last week you indicated that you would shortly be in touch with feedback regarding our meeting of <date>.

I should be very glad to hear from you, as I felt <smooth compliment about company>.

Kind regards/Best wishes

GobiasIndustries Fri 19-Feb-16 13:25:37

Thank you everyone! I've used a mixture of the examples you've given me and hopefully will hear back soon.

thesandwich Fri 19-Feb-16 13:40:46

Thank you Mrs h😊!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now