Do you believe that Heely's are for girls?

(62 Posts)
Greengardenpixie Thu 18-Feb-16 13:31:54

My dh thinks this and doesnt think its a good idea to get them for his birthday. He really wants them. I was so shocked by his comment. The male/female thing never occurred to me. My dh says he will be laughed at. Why? They are trainers with wheels. You get them in a mix of colours. What the hell has being female/male got to do with it? It has annoyed me!
What do you think?

multivac Thu 18-Feb-16 13:33:12

Do you operate them with your genitals?

No?

In which case they are suitable for girls or boys.

(Our sons loved theirs, btw, and even made a YouTube tutorial for fellow Heelie-wearers)

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Thu 18-Feb-16 13:33:25

I've only ever seen Girls on the things!

SweetieDrops Thu 18-Feb-16 13:33:26

Your DH is being stupid. I see boys on heelys all the time.

BarbarianMum Thu 18-Feb-16 13:33:43

I think a lot of the boys round here would disagree with your dh. Sperately, I thinkthey are the work of the devil - but in a unisex way.

Greengardenpixie Thu 18-Feb-16 13:34:03

Thank you star

LurkingHusband Thu 18-Feb-16 13:34:13

As long as they're not used inside shopping centres, coffee shops, or supermarkets ....

PippaPug Thu 18-Feb-16 13:35:55

Lots of boys have them here!

R0nJ0n Thu 18-Feb-16 13:35:56

I hate heelys, shops full of wobbly kids scooting around on them are a bloody pain in the arse, but I've never thought of them as being gender specfic.

AutumnLeavesArePretty Thu 18-Feb-16 13:36:26

The shouldnt be for either sex, fed up of other parents letting them loose in supermarkets and shopping centres. An older lady was sent flying by them last time I was there as the child lost control.

I've only seen them mainly on girls, boys tend to prefer skateboards here.

GreenTomatoJam Thu 18-Feb-16 13:36:49

I have some heelies, I'm female, but the vast majority of people I see with them are kids, of both sexes.

I think he's grasping if he thinks wheeled shoes are gendered.....

vestandknickers Thu 18-Feb-16 13:37:05

I think your DH is right.

It is very much a girl trend where we live and I think a boy in Heelys might get teased.

Gottagetmoving Thu 18-Feb-16 13:37:16

There are 4 young boys in our wider family...They all have Heelies.
One of those boys plays rugby, football, and does martial arts...There is nothing 'girly' about Heelies! Besides,..shouldn't kids play with what they like and not what they are told is ok for their gender?

Andrewofgg Thu 18-Feb-16 13:44:08

They are an equal-opps bloody nuisance, a non-sexist PITA.

firesidechat Thu 18-Feb-16 13:47:20

Is it your dh who wants them or is he your son?

I wouldn't judge a boy being on them, but I might look twice at a grownup.

Now off to google and see what they are exactly.

makingmiracles Thu 18-Feb-16 13:48:49

No. My 12 yr old has a pair, and girls ones at that!! They are not overly girly, they're black with a pink and yellow design and pink soles.

He loves them but they can hurt your feet for a while getting used to them and when walking in them it's a bit like walking on your tiptoes. Of course they come with a tool for wheel removal but who remembers to take that everywhere they go?!

firesidechat Thu 18-Feb-16 13:49:01

Just seen them. Assume you meant your son then.

ManneryTowers Thu 18-Feb-16 13:51:43

Yabu. Overpricing and annoyance don't discriminate.

LumpySpacedPrincess Thu 18-Feb-16 14:04:04

Dd lives in her heelys, as do all her mates male and female.

Has your husband always been sexist or is this a new thing?

987flowers Thu 18-Feb-16 14:05:05

They are for either sex but horrible things that seem to cause injuries for those who wear them!

LumpySpacedPrincess Thu 18-Feb-16 14:05:08

You can also use heelys if you're black, we've tried it and they work for either sex and still work on light or dark skin, amazing really! smile

KondosSecretJunkRoom Thu 18-Feb-16 14:10:51

Your dh is too old for Heelys <ageist>

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Thu 18-Feb-16 14:17:08

Ridiculous. You put them on your feet not your genitals. I saw twin boys on them yesterday nearly knocking everyone and everything down in a the supermarket while the parents ignored them

Greengardenpixie Thu 18-Feb-16 14:18:12

Its my ds that wants them [ he will be 8] My dh thinks they are for girls. I would quite like a pair [ I am an adult though and should know better]
I know they can be unsafe but thats not what I am asking. So are skateboards, roller skates etc. We have helmets.

poocatcherchampion Thu 18-Feb-16 14:19:40

Do adults wear them...? Interesting!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now