To keep schtum and hope for the best?

(30 Posts)
rosettesforjill Thu 18-Feb-16 12:29:05

I've just booked a self-catering holiday, accommodation only. Unfortunately, I am an idiot and have typed completely the wrong surname for one of the party (toddler woke me at 5:30 this morning with the most giant, disgusting nappy I have ever seen so I'm blaming sleep deprivation/emotional distress). The terms and conditions say that the names have to match up to the passports or I have to pay an "administration charge" which seems to be £40.

Now I'm thinking I have never had my details checked, even as lead traveller, on a self-catering accommodation only deal and I can't believe it's going to happen this time. So would it be unreasonable just to leave it and take the risk they don't check at all? And after all, what are they going to do, send us home when they meet us at the airport?

Views appreciated...

Shannaratiger Thu 18-Feb-16 12:32:54

I personally wouldn't risk it however I get anxious and stressed over anything and this would give me major panics!

DoreenLethal Thu 18-Feb-16 12:34:45

I would go bluff it and blame an admin error in their system if ever questioned.

rosettesforjill Thu 18-Feb-16 13:24:25

DH is going to either kill me or die laughing blush

I could possibly blame a system error because I've given my sister's boyfriend my surname so I guess it would be plausible that their computer might have copied the wrong surname down or something (IT expert, me).

I'm going to bluff it unless they ask for passport information I think...

Gottagetmoving Thu 18-Feb-16 13:41:20

Can't you contact them and explain you filled in the name wrong?
Ask them to change it?

jopickles Thu 18-Feb-16 13:54:30

as long as your details match for the flight there shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't worry about it

rosettesforjill Thu 18-Feb-16 13:54:51

I can but it'll cost me £40. I know it's not loads but it's a meal out when we're there!

DoBananasWearPajamas Thu 18-Feb-16 14:35:50

is it UK? will they be needing passports/etc

DoBananasWearPajamas Thu 18-Feb-16 14:36:12

its just for the accommodation though?

Trickydecision Thu 18-Feb-16 14:46:20

You will almost certainly get away with it and in any case the worst that can happen if they notice is that they make you pay the £40. Chance it.

rosettesforjill Thu 18-Feb-16 14:49:06

Bananas It isn't UK but it is just accommodation so there's no need for anyone at the holiday company to check the passports

I'm going to chance it and claim ignorance if anyone notices anything amiss!

DoBananasWearPajamas Thu 18-Feb-16 15:03:51

i'd stay quiet - its not a biggie

nobeer Thu 18-Feb-16 15:10:46

In some countries it's the law to check all passports in holiday accommodation. I wouldn't risk it.

MissMalteser Thu 18-Feb-16 15:22:18

I guess it depends on where you're staying but on most of my holidays both myself, dh and dd's have all had our passports checked against the accommodation 'voucher' when checking in?

JenEric Thu 18-Feb-16 15:59:44

Isn't it weird how that happened? Surely if you had done it you would have noticed?

Tbh they just want to stop you giving your holiday to someone else. If all first names are correct and the surname error is your surname instead of another I can't see them bothering.

HortonWho Thu 18-Feb-16 16:07:10

I suspect they do this if you want to "give" your reservation to another person rather than a misspelling.

rosettesforjill Thu 18-Feb-16 16:24:20

MissMalteser We won't be checking in to anywhere as it's a villa so at the very most we'll have a rep meeting us at the airport.

JenEric It was a complete brainfart!

HortonWho It isn't just a misspelling - it's a whole different surname blush

PegsPigs Thu 18-Feb-16 16:25:43

I'd blag it. Passports are never checked for self catering only hotels.

bessiebumptious2 Thu 18-Feb-16 16:38:21

I've never had a passport check for villa accommodation - generally there's a key left for you and you sort yourselves out but I suppose it depends on the type of 'package' deal you've gone for.

If you've booked flights and accommodation independently then you won't have them checked at all, whatever country you're going to.

nixxxy Thu 18-Feb-16 16:38:41

How long ago did you book this? If it was in the last 24 hours you may be allowed free amendments due to a grace period. I'm on mat leave from a major high street travel agent and this is our policy - obviously every company is different, but it may be worth a go?

Costacoffeeplease Thu 18-Feb-16 16:39:14

Which country are you travelling to? I live in Portugal and look after several rental properties, due to a recent change in the law I need copies of all guest passports to pass on to the equivalent of the border agency, so your passports may well be checked

Bogeyface Thu 18-Feb-16 16:39:19

Whenever we have stayed anywhere abroad our passports have been checked, I personally wouldnt risk it as you really dont know what the potential ramifications could be when you get there. Not worth the risk for £40 imo, and if you ring and explain that it was a genuine mistake then they may waive the fee.

bessiebumptious2 Thu 18-Feb-16 16:41:53

Costacoffeeplease Has anybody told Spain??! We've not been checked...

Perhaps larger travel companies have to do this, but if you're booking with ownersdirect for example, how do they follow up on that law?

Costacoffeeplease Thu 18-Feb-16 16:48:04

If we don't do it, and get caught in a spot check, we will get fined and possibly lose our rental licences

Costacoffeeplease Thu 18-Feb-16 16:49:10

I don't work for a big company, just our privately owned apartment and a few belonging to friends/family

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now