Talk

Advanced search

To think Annie Sloan chalk paint is shit?

(38 Posts)
ShamefulPlaceMarker Wed 17-Feb-16 16:59:56

After hearing lots if great things about AS chalk paint mainly from pinterest I decided to give it a go myself.
I bought a dark blue and a creamy white test pot as I've heard a little goes a long way.
I used the blue as a test on an old cabinet, which I ws going to give away.
The paint is thick and gloopy and leaves brush strokes no matter what you do. I tried watering it down a tiny bit but then it drips. It's also dried blotchy with darker and light streaks all over it! To be fair, I now like the cabinet and will be keeping it, but it did look very tired before and lots of flaky paint ao anything would have been better.
So I did a bit more research and re-watched many AS vids on her website and set off again, this time with the cream.
I've just spent the last 2 hours in a stress trying to paint table legs! The colour of the wood just keeps showing through, there are brush marks and again it's streaky! I give up!
Aibu to think it is over priced shit, or am I doing something wrong?

Olddear Wed 17-Feb-16 17:16:51

Yanbu.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 17-Feb-16 17:19:27

I used Rustoleum chalk paint and it came out fine - you could try that.

TheHiphopopotamus Wed 17-Feb-16 17:22:28

I like it for things that aren't going to get much use, but I water it down a lot and it does go a long way. However, too much watering and it's unusable.

But I made the mistake of painting my kitchen cupboards with it. There were grease spots and water marks all over and it wore off in no time (that's with about 10 coats of wax too.) I like shabby, but not that shabby.

My wardrobes, on the other hand, have held up well.

TheHiphopopotamus Wed 17-Feb-16 17:23:11

Oh, and regular matt emulsion works just as well, I've found

BinaryFinary Wed 17-Feb-16 17:32:12

It's shit. And the endless waxing and buffing is comparable in terms of effort to a quick sand. so you could just do a quick sand then use eggshell and it'll last years, or do twelvty goats of shite chalk paint then three coats of wax, then watch it disappear every time you have to give it a wipe. Bollocks to that

ProfYaffle Wed 17-Feb-16 17:36:21

"twelvty goats of shite" grin Genuine lol!

myusernamewastaken Wed 17-Feb-16 17:41:16

ive just painted a pine computer desk in Ivory Tusk furniture paint from Wilkinsons.....i am really pleased with it....all i did was sand the desk using my partners electric sander and then painted it....very easy and it looks fab x

IJustLostTheGame Wed 17-Feb-16 17:45:42

Yanbu.
And rustoleum is a pile of poo too. Teeny bubbles popping up everywhere. I changed the brush, the time stirring it, the way I prepped, the thickness of the coat, bought a new pot and.... Teeny tiny bastard bubbles all over my table top.

CrushedNinjas Wed 17-Feb-16 18:03:49

Actually, I quite like it. blush
I went on a short 3hr Annie Sloan workshop here in Ireland and Gina teaches
you how to get the best out of the product including how to apply it, how using different brushes affect the outcomes, different types of finishes inc. a crackle glaze.
It was well worth the cost to try out the different products even though I consider myself a pretty competent DIYer.
However, I also like panting furniture using emulsion, eggshell paints, wood dyes etc.

ShamefulPlaceMarker Wed 17-Feb-16 18:22:31

We painted our kitchen cupboards in eggshell and they lasted 8years (we moved, so could be lasting longer).
I did wonder whether it was because I was using a b&q paintbrush, but then I'm not spending £30 on an AS one!
crushed I think a workshop is probably a must if you want to use the paint without swearing smile
binary you're right about the effort involved with the waxing. Much quicker to get the elec sander out!
I'm sticking to eggshell from now on!

PrimalLass Wed 17-Feb-16 18:33:38

It just takes some practice. It is easier to use the white as it doesn't streak.

Sonders Wed 17-Feb-16 18:48:25

I've got on really well with Annie Sloan paint. I bought a solid wood TV stand for £10 from a charity shop and painted it with their bright turquoise paint - whilst we weren't aiming for shabby chic I'd say it looks very cute.

You have to water it down though, I think we read somewhere that more, thin coats is much better than a couple of thick ones!

DM did up some wardrobes with the Rustoleum stuff and said it did the job but she needed about 3x as much as she thought - so it ended up about as expensive as Annie Sloan.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 17-Feb-16 18:51:21

I didn't get bubbles.
It's never going to be hardwearing. I really like the finish though.

lalalonglegs Wed 17-Feb-16 18:58:35

I thought the AS paint I used was unimpressive. I don't know for sure but suspect it is just primer that has been coloured hmm

lylasmam2012 Wed 17-Feb-16 19:10:31

I like the Van Gogh fossil paint much better, they have a lot more finishes like the luminous eyeshadow which is a gold sparkly finish, or can be used as an embossing plaster, it's amazing!

MagicalHamSandwich Wed 17-Feb-16 19:17:01

As it happens I used the stuff today to paint the insides of some drawers. Or that was the plan. 'A little goes a long way' is definitely not the case: I've used up half a tin of paint for one drawer and it still doesn't entirely cover the wood underneath. Will have to go back to the shop tomorrow and buy a gazillion more tins.

Would it help to prime the drawers with a coat of white?

FranHastings Wed 17-Feb-16 19:26:38

Agree Wilkinsons paint is fab. I bought it after several disastrous days trying to paint a cupboard with Farrow and Ball. AS comments duly noted.

ShamefulPlaceMarker Wed 17-Feb-16 19:30:11

primal How many more bits if furniture do I need to practice on before I get it right?
lylas that sounds fab! Will have a google smile
I reckon so magical as long as you don't want to distress it as apparently it's the primer that shows through and not the wood when sanded.

PrimalLass Wed 17-Feb-16 20:04:20

Dunno confused

ShamefulPlaceMarker Wed 17-Feb-16 22:18:05

Haha. Well I've done 2 so far and I think I'm done! The colours are lovely though, so I see myself trying again in a few months time when the stress dust settles!

NettleTea Wed 17-Feb-16 23:22:17

I love it. Found an old unit in my parent in laws barn and an old chair, 1 coat of paint straight from the tin, heavy handed sanding, clear wax, dark wax, hey presto! shabby chic unit and chair to put in our new rental yurt!

ReginaBlitz Thu 18-Feb-16 00:03:31

It takes practice

IJustLostTheGame Thu 18-Feb-16 08:29:56

I have discovered matt varnish in a spray can.
Much better than wax.

absolutelynotfabulous Thu 18-Feb-16 08:37:58

Rental yurtenvy??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now