AIBU to really not give a S*** about yet another awards ceremony

(22 Posts)
DaddyDr Tue 16-Feb-16 16:25:50

There's Oscars, golden globes, choice awards etc etc, now i see it's the turn of the brits or some other ballcr4p next. Does anyone actually care about these things other than the over hyped, lovely dovey industry that presents them?

There all soooo bloody dull and yet they get reported on like it's the most important event known to man.

LordBrightside Tue 16-Feb-16 16:34:51

Absolutely nobody I know cares about these things. They should all be taken off the telly.

The media loves them though cheap and easy TV and column inches. that's what all these awards ceremonies are about. Publicity. They then force feed it to people, even though they are not interested. Total crap.

WorraLiberty Tue 16-Feb-16 16:37:23

YANBU

But at least it'll give some women a platform, to slag other women off about how they chose to look on the night.

Deep joy grin

PortobelloRoad Tue 16-Feb-16 17:01:28

God it must be difficult living with a gun to your head being forced to watch these things. I can't imagine.

londonrach Tue 16-Feb-16 17:08:37

Tbh i hadnt clocked they were going until now. Yanbu.

AdrenalineFudge Tue 16-Feb-16 17:12:31

Yes portobello I agree, in the same way it must be difficult to avoid opening a thread and posting your dismissive attitude of the subject matter. I can't imagine how tough it must be to just go back to the main topic board to find something that actually interests you.

PortobelloRoad Tue 16-Feb-16 17:30:19

Adrenaline, Ooh. So, so offended. Nice try being bitchy, you over wrote it unfortunately. If you want to be snide try and stick to one liners yeah?

I8toys Tue 16-Feb-16 17:32:18

YABU - I love to see the stars come out of hiding and see how much work they've had done. Tom Cruise is now looking pillowy!!

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 16-Feb-16 17:37:33

I like the Baftas and the Oscars. I like getting annoyed when the wrong person or the wrong film is given the award and I love a bit of frock watch and a bit of 'what has Tom Cruise done to his face?' watch.

The one I'd most like to attend though is the Golden Globes as you get fed and watered at that one.

Capricorn76 Tue 16-Feb-16 17:42:04

They are all just flashy adult popularity contests and there's something a bit old fashioned about them. There are too many of them and yes you're right I don't know of anybody IRL who is actually interested, not one comment on Facebook yet it's on the news hourly.

I don't even think young girls are into it as much as I was when I was 11/12ish and used to watch the Smash Hits Poll Winners Party. It's all a bit naff with false controversy to drive column inches in mags and papers nobody reads. I'm surprised they haven't used one Twitter message and turned it into a 'Storm' today.

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 16-Feb-16 17:43:44

Oh I used to get giddy with excitement over the Smash Hits Poll Winners' Party!

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 16-Feb-16 17:44:09

Who would win 'Best Hair' and 'Most Snoggable Male'? grin

usual Tue 16-Feb-16 17:47:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DaddyDr Tue 16-Feb-16 18:27:26

portobelloroad wow you know the rules to being snide. I hope that made the "other intrests" bit on your CV.

molyholy Tue 16-Feb-16 18:35:41

Millionaires patting each other on the back, professing to each other how wonderful they are. I think they call it a 'circle jerk'

RuggerHug Tue 16-Feb-16 18:47:14

Smash hits poll winners had the extra thrill of 'DID WHO I VOTE FOR WIN?!' and if not the 'NOOOOOOO,who EVER chose that twat from backstreet boys?!' rage.
I think there may still be a vhs recording of it somewhere in my parents house...

But yeah, frock watch is all most are good for.

Tiggeryoubastard Tue 16-Feb-16 18:48:37

The coverage they get is definitely not in proportion to the actual interest they generate. Definite back slapping

tictactoad Tue 16-Feb-16 18:54:11

YANBU.

Luvvie luvins.

Dh however is inexplicably drawn to them Every. Single. Time. hmm

Whycantweallgetalong Tue 16-Feb-16 18:54:21

I thought both posters snide remarks were quite apt actually. 1-1, just saying. wine

MsJamieFraser Tue 16-Feb-16 19:02:15

Did you only start a thread to agree with you OP, no one is making you watch them, why ask for peoples opinion if you only want your opinion, as another poster no one is forcing you to watch them.

I do find them interesting as do the millions who vote for them,it also allows you to see who is up and coming.

Kreacherelf Tue 16-Feb-16 19:30:37

We should have a Mumsnet awards

usual Tue 16-Feb-16 19:33:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now