Talk

Advanced search

to be ashamed to be Irish when this is our representative in the Dáil (parliament)

(70 Posts)
HaveIGotAClue Mon 15-Feb-16 21:33:38

www.broadsheet.ie/2014/10/02/for-the-love-of-god/

He can't even read FFS!

ZiggyFartdust Mon 15-Feb-16 21:37:28

This is from 2 years ago. Bit of an odd reason to dredge up to be "ashamed to be Irish" hmm
Move somewhere else then.

Pomegranatemolasses Mon 15-Feb-16 21:40:28

Why are you bringing up something that happened in 2014? This guy represents your area, does he?

No idea why this makes you ashamed to be Irish, unless you voted for him.

Moln Mon 15-Feb-16 21:44:27

Not sure about the reading thing, and being ashamed. But there's a lot of TDs that should be trained in public speaking. The number of elms, and such like isn't great during debates. But public speaking isnt easy and is definitely a skill.

HaveIGotAClue Mon 15-Feb-16 21:45:09

Because it's election time............. 11 days to go....... It appeared in my newsfeed. If it's from a year and a half ago, that's irrelevant. The gombeen won't have wised up in between. It's relevant A. because the idiot can't string a sentence together B. he was elected because he got a few gombeens council houses (who didn't need them) C. because he was elected for getting the roads around his house/farm fixed D. because that law is an arse and E. because the blasphemy law was never so inappropriate as now.

HaveIGotAClue Mon 15-Feb-16 21:47:18

Moln - he's reading, not public speaking! And he can't even read the blooming 'speech'. He is representing Ireland every time he attempts to speaks in the Dáil. Not exactly selling our nation as being articulate intelligent competent human beings.

HaveIGotAClue Mon 15-Feb-16 21:48:56

He is also the TD (equivalent of MP) with one of the lowest attendance records at the Dáil.

ZiggyFartdust Mon 15-Feb-16 21:49:20

Irish politics are retail, he's a farmer who represents a few boggers from Longford. Who cares?

Pomegranatemolasses Mon 15-Feb-16 21:50:11

That's democracy for you.

And I personally abhor 'ashamed to be Irish' type statements. Why is his performance my shame?

dreich Mon 15-Feb-16 21:50:34

Not exactly selling our nation as being articulate intelligent competent human beings

Don't worry, you are doing a sterling job yourself on that front.

ZiggyFartdust Mon 15-Feb-16 21:53:13

Selling to who? No-one knows who the feck he is so why are the putting the turf kicking twat on here trying to show us all up?

Moln Mon 15-Feb-16 21:53:16

I was being kind ... I don't understand for the life of me why these people get in. I am baffled by my local TD. No on seems to admit voting for him, yet there he is.

I actually can't watch any debate. It's just making me sad (and no I'm not a good speaker, but I'm not seeking to be a TD)

Pomegranatemolasses Mon 15-Feb-16 21:53:54

You're obviously a Fianna Fáiler wink

I hold no truck with these types of ashamed to be irish threads. Fuck off somewhere else if your country and culture embarrass you.

One provincial TD in a sea of hundreds. While I am not proud of our government or most of our politicians, they were chosen by the few who voted. Should more people get and vote, we could really drive change.

Im ashamed for the people who complain about this country and do fuck all to help.

HaveIGotAClue Mon 15-Feb-16 22:08:50

Btw - I have fucked off - to London.
He is not one in a sea of hundreds. He is one of 166.

Does he make you proud to be Irish? Proud of him? Proud of our representatives?

ZiggyFartdust Mon 15-Feb-16 22:09:59

Why would we be proud? And what do you care when he's nothing to you?

HaveIGotAClue Mon 15-Feb-16 22:11:05

I am ashamed to think that the electorate elected him. Irish people.

HaveIGotAClue Mon 15-Feb-16 22:11:33

Ziggy - because he is making a holy show of us!

TwatMagnet Mon 15-Feb-16 22:11:39

What's a 'gombeen'?

CottonFrock Mon 15-Feb-16 22:11:50

To whom do you feel the need to prove 'our nation as being articulate, intelligent competent human beings'?

Using James 'media coverage of Savita Halappanavar's death was opportunistic' Bannon as an instance of Irish 'intelligence' is like using Nigel Farage as an instance of English charm.

HaveIGotAClue Mon 15-Feb-16 22:13:32

And no - I am not a Fianna Fáiler.

HaveIGotAClue Mon 15-Feb-16 22:16:37

The Irish economy depends on multinationals basing their HQ there. If a CEO of Instagram listened to that particular piece of genius, do you think they might ahem consider somewhere else? A TD can't even read aloud! What does that say about the very adept, educated, talented and articulate people that ARE representative of Ireland? Nothing.

A government does not an Irish person make.

Are you proud to be British now? Nigel Farage represents you now? Cameron and Corbyn too?

Yes the CEO of Instagram, rather than looking at our corporation tax, infrastructure and workforce, will look at a YouTube clip of a stuttering TD?

Have you examples that he speaks like that on a daily basis? Should he have a learning difficulty, he should not represent us?

ZiggyFartdust Mon 15-Feb-16 22:24:13

Then go home, move to Longford, and run for election against him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now