Talk

Advanced search

To ask The Stupidest Question Ever about hospital work experience/ scrubs?

(24 Posts)
dumbmum1 Mon 15-Feb-16 21:11:38

Do you take your trousers off or can you keep them on under scrubs?

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 15-Feb-16 21:13:42

I just wear the scrubs trousers, I think just about everyone else who wears them on our unit wears them without trousers underneath too.

TweenageAngst Mon 15-Feb-16 21:20:57

You would be too hot in both. I don't know anyone who wears trousers under scrub bottoms. (I know a lot of scrubs wearers)

Lj8893 Mon 15-Feb-16 21:22:08

I've never worn my trousers under scrubs, it would be boiling and probably quite uncomfortable.

dumbmum1 Mon 15-Feb-16 21:22:57

Thank you. (I'm asking on behalf of ds doing his first hospital experience this week and doesn't want to ask.)

CurlyBlueberry Mon 15-Feb-16 21:25:08

When I did my hospital work experience the kind midwife told me to strip to bra and knickers as I'd be too hot otherwise. She was right smile

Hope your son enjoys his experience!

ClutterofStarlings Mon 15-Feb-16 21:25:45

Not trousers underneath, but they are quite thin, so he should consider wearing good underpants.

CurlyBlueberry Mon 15-Feb-16 21:25:54

Ha, I mean bra, knickers AND SCRUBS ON TOP, not walking round theatre in my underwear grin

sallysparrow157 Mon 15-Feb-16 21:26:37

I have on occasion pulled scrubs on over trousers as I've needed to pop into theatre quickly and had no time to change. It's really really uncomfortable and I wouldn't recommend it.

StompyFreckles Mon 15-Feb-16 21:27:07

grincurly!!!!

Muskateersmummy Mon 15-Feb-16 21:27:54

Yep no need for trousers underneath. I would imagine it feels odd (I hate the feeling of tights under them!)

They are super comfy though!

sallysparrow157 Mon 15-Feb-16 21:28:20

Spend 5 mins in theatre for a burns case and you'll be wanting to strip down to your underwear!!

harridan50 Mon 15-Feb-16 21:28:58

clothes off and scrubs on. A bit like wearing pjs

OlafLovesAnna Mon 15-Feb-16 21:50:46

I wear knickers, bra and a vest under my scrubs as I'm always freezing but trousers or even tights would be horribly uncomfortable.

LavenderRain Mon 15-Feb-16 22:04:58

Defo no clothes underneath. Too hot!
The scrubs where I work are odd shapes. Long crotch, very low V on the top.
If your not careful you can look like a right wally grin
Hope your DS enjoys whatever he is doing.

parallax80 Mon 15-Feb-16 22:08:25

I wear a 3/4 length top underneath on nights when it gets chilly about 3 or 4 in the morning.

Otherwise underwear only underneath. And if you cycle in, take a spare pair of pants, as wet underwear under scrubs is not a good look. Nor is doing CPR while remembering that your pants are drying on the radiator in the changing room!

CantChoose Mon 15-Feb-16 23:46:40

I wear knickers, a bra and a thin top as I get cold easily. Def no trousers. And I don't wear the top if I'm in theatres as the lights are very hot smile

UterusUterusGhali Tue 16-Feb-16 01:21:50

I love wearing scrubs. As PP said they're like Jim jams.

I take a hoody on nights for if I'm sitting still (ha!) or after a break. His dept might not allow that though. Those who feel the cold often wear a tshirt underneath.

I do wear giant pants up to my middle though as the bottoms can slip down and I'm often bending down or scrabbling on the floor.

HicDraconis Tue 16-Feb-16 06:52:31

It depends on where your DS is doing his work experience. The orthopaedic surgeons in my unit like the theatre temp at around 16 degrees - it's pretty chilly in there in thin cotton scrubs! I tend to wear leggings and a polyprop vest underneath if I know I'm doing all day ortho.

Any theatre where the temp is higher (20+) and he'll be fine with underpants only.

originalusernamefail Tue 16-Feb-16 07:01:57

No trousers (good pants though) I wear a vest top as I am 'blessed' with an over abundance of norkage and the way they are cut means if I bend forward people would get an eyeful, not a problem for your son I presume wink.

user1480310891 Tue 29-Nov-16 06:07:16

During cold, my husband wears two trousers in hospital work while when its hot only one scrub pant is sufficient.

Mrsmorton Tue 29-Nov-16 06:23:25

I only wear them in a mortuary and wear shorts and t shirt underneath as it's a bit chilly. Plus can take scrubs off to pop out for a brew but not need to get changed entirely. If we wear the white overalls on top it can make for quite a cosy set up.
The issue is that the clothes & underwear underneath take on a characteristic smell so get bagged until I can wash them properly.

Cuttingthecheese Tue 29-Nov-16 07:11:47

Ugh mrsmorton characteristic smell? confused

Mrsmorton Tue 29-Nov-16 10:40:41

Not from the people. You know, like a dental practice has a characteristic smell, so does a mortuary. I don't mind taking the dental smell home, less so the mortuary. It's the cleaning fluids that make the place smell like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now