Talk

Advanced search

To ask if no added sugar squash is really that bad?

(117 Posts)
Supportingeachother1983 Mon 15-Feb-16 19:32:25

I have a 2 year old who drinks diluted apple juice (1 part juice and 4 parts water) and a 6 year old who drinks rocks blackcurrant squash. The dentist was horrified when I told her this. She said they should be drinking no added sugar squash. My friends mostly use robinsons no added sugar for their DC. I had always been wary of sweetness though, my dad told me they are not good for us. How bad are they? I am thinking of changing to sugar free squash but something is telling me not too!

WhirlwindHugs Mon 15-Feb-16 19:34:57

My personal decision is that unless your child actually does react to sweetners, and most don't - then no added sugar will save their teeth and is the better choice.

ghostyslovesheep Mon 15-Feb-16 19:36:58

no there is nothing wrong with it

people will be along to tell you Aspartame causes children to grow extra heads and such like - it's bullpoo

Some people might react to it - I react to spinach and too much caffeine

It's better for teeth

Littlefish Mon 15-Feb-16 19:38:35

I don't like the aspartame and other artificial sweeteners in no-added-sugar squashes.

SaucyJack Mon 15-Feb-16 19:38:59

I think artificial sweeteners are the lesser of two evils meself- although I don't doubt others would disagree.

Stuff like Rocks/Ribena is just sugar. You may as well drop 6 sugar cubes in a glass and top it up with water.... and you wouldn't do that, would you?

janethegirl2 Mon 15-Feb-16 19:40:38

I'd prefer to use less non sugar free squash and dilute with more water.
No added sugar squash has no place in my house.

PastaLaFeasta Mon 15-Feb-16 19:40:52

No added sugar doesn't mean sugar free, natural fruit sugars are just as bad for the teeth and lack the nutritional benefit of whole fruits.

janethegirl2 Mon 15-Feb-16 19:42:13

In many ways a glass of water (fizzy, but many don't like the acidic nature of this wrt dental hygiene) with fresh fruit is a healthier alternative

OhSoggyBiscuit Mon 15-Feb-16 19:42:25

I grew up drinking Tesco no sugar added squash, never did me any harm.

Tfoot75 Mon 15-Feb-16 19:43:00

I don't think there is any confirmed link between artificial sweeteners and any sort of health condition (happy to be educated with real nhs based evidence though!).

Sugary drinks however do contribute to tooth decay and childhood obesity - so it's up to you.

For us sugar free squash is every day and sugary drinks are occasional treats.

PastaLaFeasta Mon 15-Feb-16 19:43:15

DH started drinking no added sugar lemon squash. His next dentist check up was shocking after years of no problems. He's had a few fillings following and squash is not allowed except special occasions. Although squash with food is better than as drinks between meals.

PrincessHairyMclary Mon 15-Feb-16 19:46:50

I stopped buying squash as it is our default drink even though DD prefers water.

So now we have water, but I buy sugar free juice boxes to have in the fridge and in the last 6 weeks Dd hasn't asked for one and I've only had one (as a 'treat' instead of fizzy)

Adeleslostbeehive Mon 15-Feb-16 19:47:30

No added sugar every time. They don't all contain aspartame as sweetener. Not that there is anything actually wrong with aspartame.

Anyway it wouldnt be my first choice of children's drink but after water and milk I think it's ok. Definitely better for teeth and better than fruit juice

Adeleslostbeehive Mon 15-Feb-16 19:48:25

How could that be related to the squash pasta?

ghostyslovesheep Mon 15-Feb-16 19:49:33

Fizzy water is worse for teeth than still sugar free squash - anything fizzy damages teeth due to the fizz

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Mon 15-Feb-16 19:50:54

That sugar-free shit tastes disgusting. It's absolutely vile. The aftertaste! Yeuckkkkkkk.

Gives my niece migraines, but I think she's an exception rather than a rule.

However, I don't think it causes mutations in humans.

Adeleslostbeehive Mon 15-Feb-16 19:51:55

Well the massive sales of the stuff indicate most people don't agree it's vile...

Sunflower1985 Mon 15-Feb-16 19:52:27

What is actually unhealthy in no added sugar squash? (If you're not allergic)

Diluted properly there's hardly any sugar per 100ml (0.3g - less than a tic tac). Plus it's delicious.

DiscoDancer Mon 15-Feb-16 19:54:40

Just to say I grew up on no added sugar squash and I'm fine grinMy kids have it too, aged 3 and 5, I would say less than once a day but I dilute probably 1 part squash to 6 parts water. It does look like coloured water basically.

bruffin Mon 15-Feb-16 19:56:27

Its not delicious Sunflower to many people it tastes vile.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Mon 15-Feb-16 19:56:41

I wouldn't give it to my children.

It's a pain, but the only good option is to train them to drink water. Then they can have the occasional glass of rocks/ribena.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Mon 15-Feb-16 19:57:39

No added sugar also tastes awful. The aftertaste is shocking.

FindoGask Mon 15-Feb-16 19:58:13

I don't see the problem with squash with sugar in, so long as your children aren't chugging it all day long. My two both have a glass with meals and their teeth are sparkly clean and cavity-free. The sugar-free stuff is vile.

PastaLaFeasta Mon 15-Feb-16 19:59:36

Because it was a sudden addition to his diet and coincided with sudden decay. He stopped drinking it because he could see the link was obvious and its cost us a fortune. No added sugar doesn't mean sugar free and they are also acidic even if diluted. The only safe drink is water, even milk has natural sugar. DH thought he was safe but it's a marketing con and the only benefit will be lower calories.

SaucyJack Mon 15-Feb-16 20:01:15

"DH started drinking no added sugar lemon squash. His next dentist check up was shocking after years of no problems."

I'm no expert, but I would have thought it was more likely to have been the lemon juice than the sweeteners that rotted his teeth. It's very very acidic stuff- strips the tooth enamel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now