'D'H has just thrown up all over the bedroom carpet...

(123 Posts)
Vebrithien Mon 15-Feb-16 18:38:00

After REFUSING to have a bowl next to him.
Am 14 weeks pregnant and have just had to clear up the mess.
AIBU to not feel very sympathetic now?

Pidapie Mon 15-Feb-16 18:40:14

I would refuse to clean up his mess. He's an adult.

WhereYouLeftIt Mon 15-Feb-16 18:41:54

"have just had to clear up the mess."
Why? He made the mess, he clears it up, surely? Especially since he took no steps to prevent the mess in the first place.

FairyDustDreamer Mon 15-Feb-16 18:42:31

I would not be pleased.
Was he too ill to clear up?
He would have a bowl on his head now....

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Mon 15-Feb-16 18:43:31

Really?

Adults clean up their own puke, surely?

Tangfastics Mon 15-Feb-16 18:43:40

Is he ill or drunk?

AtSea1979 Mon 15-Feb-16 18:44:43

What would your DH do if you were out or he lived on his own?

Ed1tY0urPr0f1le Mon 15-Feb-16 18:45:51

I would not have cleared that up.

If it had come without warning (would have to be pretty sudden and violent for an adult to not make it to a toilet) I'd have had some sympathy.

gleekster Mon 15-Feb-16 18:46:14

Why did you have to clear up the mess?

DickDewy Mon 15-Feb-16 18:47:34

Why on earth did you have to clean it up?

PotteringAlong Mon 15-Feb-16 18:47:41

Ill or drunk? If he is so ill he couldn't make it to the bathroom I'd have no worries cleaning it up.

acasualobserver Mon 15-Feb-16 18:48:22

I can't see why anyone would refuse a bowl or bucket by the bed if they were in danger of vomiting. This aspect of the story makes me very unsympathetic to your DH.

VagueIdeas Mon 15-Feb-16 18:49:05

If he has a bug you shouldn't be clearing it up, because you're pregnant and hardly want to catch it.

He's an idiot for not having a bowl, basically.

Vebrithien Mon 15-Feb-16 18:49:08

He was ill, possibly food poisoning from food at work.
To be fair, it's the first time he's been sick in over 15 years, don't think he was expecting it.
He is now 'locked' in the bathroom.
There is nowhere else for me to sleep, if I hadn't cleaned it up. And it would have set on the carpet.
Just annoyed that he didn't believe me when I suggested that a bowl might be a good idea.

HermioneJeanGranger Mon 15-Feb-16 18:50:18

It depends.

If he's drunk, he needs to clean up and apologise profusely.

If he's ill, why on earth would you not help him? I would be pretty annoyed if DP was right there when I threw up, and then made me clean up after myself if I had a bug or food poisoning. Sometimes bugs don't give you enough warning to get to the toilet!

Theimpossiblegirl Mon 15-Feb-16 18:54:00

If he's ill, it's forgivable, especially if he is 'never' sick (until now).

Salmotrutta Mon 15-Feb-16 18:56:12

So ill people should clean up their own vomit? Really?

Yes, the OP is pregnant but with rubber gloves proper hygiene measures and disinfectant she is at no more risk of catching the bug than if she didn't clean it up.

He should agree to have a bucket beside him though after the initial bout caught him out.

IHaveBrilloHair Mon 15-Feb-16 18:56:53

It's rubbish for you, but it sounds like he's genuinely ill and it was unexpected.
I'd refuse a bowl too, since I am never sick and the last time I was and didn't make the toilet I was about 7.

Salmotrutta Mon 15-Feb-16 18:57:55

Just realised he refused the bowl before he was sick.

That was very daft of him.

wonderingsoul Mon 15-Feb-16 18:59:51

Ybu he's ill.. I would be really upset if my dp got all pissy with me when I was unwell and had just thrown up then made me clean it up.

Pregnant or not.. Long as you use gloves the risk of getting the bug is no higher.

MsJamieFraser Mon 15-Feb-16 19:01:47

If he was locked in the bathroom and was ill then I would personally see no issue with cleaning it up.

If he hasn't been sick in years, and just felt sick then yes I personally wouldn't have had a bowl beside me also, it's just one of those things, neither is BU

abbsismyhero Mon 15-Feb-16 19:03:01

yes of course ill people clean their own vomit up im a single parent i puke scrub then disinfect i don't want the kids catching my bugs that's irresponsible of me

ElderlyKoreanLady Mon 15-Feb-16 19:03:13

I would be pretty annoyed if DP was right there when I threw up, and then made me clean up after myself if I had a bug or food poisoning.

Really? If that's part of being in a relationship, I've been doing it wrong. But then, I am single grin

Seriously though, I don't think I've ever known adults outside of a care setting/role clean up other adults' vomit.

expatinscotland Mon 15-Feb-16 19:04:07

Even when ill, unless completely incapacitated, adults clean up their own sick.

peggyundercrackers Mon 15-Feb-16 19:08:31

Some people need to make sure their halo doesn't slip or it's going to choke them.

If he was ill and not expecting it then Yabu.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now