Talk

Advanced search

To find this poster in a train station wrong?

(782 Posts)
megadude Mon 15-Feb-16 16:43:59

Hi Mumsnetters,

I'd be interested to read your opinions about this poster. I don't want to say right now what I think about it, as I'd like to know how you'd interpret it.

TIA,
Megadude

BertrandRussell Mon 15-Feb-16 16:45:37

Where did you see it and when? I'd been interested to know what you think about it.

megadude Mon 15-Feb-16 16:47:02

Cambridge Station on Friday night.

evilgiraffe Mon 15-Feb-16 16:47:07

Ah, victim blaming, how lovely. Don't forget, wimmin, if you get attacked you'll only have yourselves to blame!

DonkeyOaty Mon 15-Feb-16 16:47:16

Which train operator? Was this recently, like last week? And finally (Sorry, sorry) is it your photo or one you've stumbled across?

DonkeyOaty Mon 15-Feb-16 16:47:38

Oh x post. Thank you!

acasualobserver Mon 15-Feb-16 16:47:48

Some people think it implies that unaccompanied women are responsible for endangering themselves.

megadude Mon 15-Feb-16 16:47:55

Yes! That was my first thought!

Pootles2010 Mon 15-Feb-16 16:48:05

Is there a corresponding one with a few blokes?

megadude Mon 15-Feb-16 16:49:20

I took the photo on Friday as I couldn't quite believe what I was seeing. As I did, another woman gave me a knowing smile as if to say "yes, noticed that too!"

LineyReborn Mon 15-Feb-16 16:49:38

It says to me that young women are their own responsibility and no-one else's.

It says to me that they should prevent themselves and each other from becoming victims.

It's all kinds of shit.

megadude Mon 15-Feb-16 16:50:18

Didn't spot a bloke one funnily enough. Notice how it doesn't tell us what we need to take "extra care" over.

Thurlow Mon 15-Feb-16 16:51:43

Fucking hell shock

The thing is, if the picture had both men and women in returning from a party, it would be reasonably acceptable. As in - yes, we know you might be drunk, so make sure no one falls down an escalator. Still a bit patronising, but still.

This is... Blimey.

samG76 Mon 15-Feb-16 16:52:24

I think it could mean don't trip over on your heels or walk home in the freezing cold, and do keep a lookout for your friends. I can't see much wrong with it.

OrangePeels Mon 15-Feb-16 16:52:38

I see it as telling people to look out for themselves. Drunk people are more likely to fall, miss their trains, get on the wrong train, argue with a ticket machine etc etc. Of course, it's sexist to aim it at just women as men are just as bad!

OrangePeels Mon 15-Feb-16 16:53:24

Themselves and each other that is..

FayKorgasm Mon 15-Feb-16 16:53:53

hmm
Don't forget girls,its your fault for not leaving your vagina at home.

evilgiraffe Mon 15-Feb-16 16:54:02

I'm quite tempted to make a few signs saying "DON'T RAPE PEOPLE" and go stick them over the "when you've had a night out" bit. It'd be putting responsibility where it actually lies...

I assume it is about sexual violence, as if it was about mugging or similar they'd include pictures of men too.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 15-Feb-16 16:54:07

I dont see much wrong with it either.

biscuiteater Mon 15-Feb-16 16:54:59

I wouldn't have given it a second glance tbh.

Lottie2611 Mon 15-Feb-16 16:55:32

This poster would remind me that there are weirdos around, and to be vigilant.... Can't see anything wrong with it ...

megadude Mon 15-Feb-16 16:55:42

Ok that's interesting. There is a tube photo about hurting yourself if you're in a hurry that shows a man, but that is very clear on what it is warning people about. This poster does not actually get down to saying what it means, which I find quite sinister.

alltouchedout Mon 15-Feb-16 16:55:58

I think it's more of the old "let's tell women not to get raped rather than telling men nut to rape them" bullshit myself. Could be overreacting I suppose.. I do have friends who tell me "but it's just sensible advice" when I rant about messages like that.

evilgiraffe Mon 15-Feb-16 16:57:49

Aside from "your safety is our priority" - which implies it's about crime. No escalators to worry about at Cambridge! Also if it is about train station safety why isn't there a picture of someone falling off a platform, or suchlike?

KanyeWesticle Mon 15-Feb-16 16:58:00

Greater Manchester Police released a great poster on this topic.

"Drinking is not a crime - Rape is."

You might want to point the train company to the backlash Sussex (and others) recieved for their victim blaming rubbish - here
www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/32219357/can-anti-rape-poster-campaigns-help-prevent-attacks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now