to wonder how you get a child an NHS dentist?

(11 Posts)
cjt110 Mon 15-Feb-16 13:25:31

Literally none around me are taking on. Surely it's important for them to have their new/developing teeth checked?

OliviaDunham Mon 15-Feb-16 13:28:29

My area has a waiting list, your local dentist should be able to tell you what happens in your area. How old is your DC as they don't tend to see them until they're about 2 here.

MigGril Mon 15-Feb-16 13:33:39

There was a real shortage hear a while ago, they did open some new dentist to help with the problem. But you can go on the NHS website to find out what's available in your area.

In the end we had to register as private, so they would take the kids NHS.

Dixiechickonhols Mon 15-Feb-16 13:37:46

There will be some some of central dental advice service at your local NHS trust.

A quick google brought this up for my area.

www.lancashirecare.nhs.uk/Dental-Services

Hopefully they can tell you who is taking on in your area or add child to wait list.

Some private wilL see under 16 free if you are a paying customer on their books.

cjt110 Mon 15-Feb-16 13:39:06

Brill thanks. He's 18m.

museumum Mon 15-Feb-16 13:39:12

My private dentist sees kids on nhs. I think quite a few do.

ThePrinceofParties Mon 15-Feb-16 13:49:48

your CCG should be able to advise on the system locally

in ours, they ask a different practice each month to open up their lists. You then call the practice that's open, and get on a waiting list for an appointment. This systems operates borough-wide, so it took a few months before a practice near enough to me was taking on.

AutumnLeavesArePretty Mon 15-Feb-16 13:54:32

Our private one will take the children on the NHS if the parents are already on the books. Works well for us.

bigbluebus Mon 15-Feb-16 15:52:31

Our private dentist took my DCs on as NHS patients too.

boredofusername Mon 15-Feb-16 17:56:56

My private dentist also does NHS treatment for under 16s.

scarlets Mon 15-Feb-16 18:21:50

My dentist (private) sees paying customers' dependent children free of charge. I think that NHS dentistry is on its way out for adults, but in many places, children seem to be treated as a goodwill gesture if a parent pays for themselves (I suppose they know that they'll turn into paying customers at 18).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now