Advanced search

To want to enrol DS in a holiday playscheme for a couple of days even though we do not live in the area.

(9 Posts)
ByStarlight Mon 15-Feb-16 12:54:27

I have to take a trip to visit my parents for a few days this summer to pack up my childhood and university things that they have been storing for me the last few years. (We finally will have a house big enough to accommodate everything). We no longer live in the UK, so we only come back to visit once or twice a year. I want to bring my 5-year-old DS with me, to see his grandparents, and so I can enjoy a short holiday with him back in England.

However, my parents don't want me to bring him as they are unwilling to look after him while I sort through my things and pack boxes - which I anticipate might take a couple of days. I'm considering enrolling him in a summer holiday playscheme for 2 days in the area local to my parents, so I can bring him with me, but have a few hours each day to myself to pack.

I am reluctant to leave him at home with my DH while I go, as I have a job that involves a lot of international travel and so I already miss out on a lot of time with my DS as it is from being away a lot, and I know my DH would also appreciate a few days to himself. I'm not worried about my DS fitting in, as he is very confident, active and sociable, and loves being around other children.

Would local parents think it unreasonable for a child who isn't from the local area to join a local playscheme for a few days?

Quietwhenreading Mon 15-Feb-16 12:56:53

I would be fine with this, to be honest how would they even know?

Most holiday clubs have a number of schools feeding in to them, no one knows everyone.

Pootles2010 Mon 15-Feb-16 12:56:55

I wouldn't mind, no - you pay for most of them yourself surely, so why would they?!

shutupandshop Mon 15-Feb-16 12:59:04

No its fine. Whats the deal with your parents?

ByStarlight Mon 15-Feb-16 13:12:48

That's reassuring - I just worried that he might start talking about how he lives in another country and speaks two languages and is only there on holiday, and some of the other mums might get annoyed that he is taking the place that a local child might have needed.

Yes, I would be paying the fees for the scheme myself anyway - its either that or hiring a childminder for a couple of days, but I know he would prefer something that involves being part of a group where he can play with other kids.

I think my parents are just old and don't have the patience (or energy) to keep up with a very active and exuberant 5 year old boy. In the past they have found even half an hour on their own with him while I have a shower to be too much.

waterrat Mon 15-Feb-16 13:23:22

you are massively overthinking this. why would anyone care?!

Kittykatmacbill Mon 15-Feb-16 13:37:20

No it's absolutely fine. I used to work at a play scheme (almost 20 years ago - eeek). And there were already out of town kids.

Only concern would be emergency contact details would be useable. I.e. Local not international phone number.

MEgirl Tue 16-Feb-16 20:06:54

I've done it in the past. We lived overseas for 3 years. During the summer we stayed with my ILs for a few weeks in one London borough. My nephews went to a play scheme in a different borough. My kids joined them on an ad hoc basis for a few days. No one bat an eyelid.

Footle Tue 16-Feb-16 21:36:06

It's unlikely he will be the only child who lives elsewhere and speaks more than one language.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now