to leave my baby in the garden to sleep?

(677 Posts)
SashaFierce99 Sun 14-Feb-16 23:44:10

With three older siblings, it's difficult for baby to nap uninterrupted at the weekend/in holidays. She's just over a year old so still needs at least one long or two short naps per day. When her siblings are off we tend to walk/scoot/skate/bike to the park before her nap and she falls asleep in the pushchair on the way home. I then leave her in the front garden in front of the kitchen window and DCs and I paint/bake/draw in the kitchen so she's in sight at all times.

Today we did the above but there was a knock at the door ten minutes after we arrived home. It was a neighbour advising me that it's too cold and too dangerous to leave her unsupervised outside. I explained that I can see her and she's well wrapped up (full body vest, outfit on top plus jumper, double socks and full snow suit and hat) so she's fine but the neighbour kept saying I should take her inside. I politely declined and said I needed to get back to the other DC. She muttered about how I'll end up 'getting reported to someone'...!

AIBU to leave her outside?

PuntasticUsername Sun 14-Feb-16 23:48:40

It's pretty common for babies to nap outdoors in low temperatures (much lower than in the UK) in Scandinavian countries - Google it. Doesn't seem to do them much harm, apparently, as a general rule. As long as they are well wrapped up. I'd be more uneasy about her being out front, personally, but that's probably not very rational really!

Does she have the hood up on her pushchair? You know, in case a bird flies over, sort of thing?

Salmotrutta Sun 14-Feb-16 23:49:00

Tell your neighbour that mothers in Norway and Sweden put their babies outside in the middle of winter (thoroughly wrapped up of course) and it has been shown that they sleep better!

Plus you can see her so why not?

Mine were out in the back garden at the kitchen window in all weathers except fog.

TealLove Sun 14-Feb-16 23:50:38

I think it's too cold personally but it's your choice. DD was a baby with v low body temp though.

slicedfinger Sun 14-Feb-16 23:50:44

^ this

OttiliaVonBCup Sun 14-Feb-16 23:50:49

It was a bit chilly today.

Otherwise I'd leave her out, is the front garden fenced off?

slicedfinger Sun 14-Feb-16 23:51:39

Oh no! Cross posts!!! Not too cold, it's well established in Scandinavia and supposedly good for the babies.

Babymamamama Sun 14-Feb-16 23:52:07

No please don't this isn't the 1950s. And what about foxes? So he rest of the family are having a riot indoors and the little one is literally left out in the cold.

mummymeister Sun 14-Feb-16 23:52:21

one of my dc was in the pram asleep when I was in the park. in full view of me and lots of other parents, I was feet away playing with the other dc. a cat jumped on top with absolutely no warning. I reacted as soon as I could and the damage to face and hands was superficial and minimal. this was with me, feet away outside right near the pram with lots of other people.

so no, I wouldn't leave my dc in the front garden or any garden where I wasn't supervising them.

what if one of your other dc's falls off the chair. you will be distracted.
what if the phone goes. you will be distracted.

sorry if you think I am being dramatic and post this incident I would have said yes, fine do it. but not now. my dc is still afraid of cats and is now a teenager.

Junosmum Sun 14-Feb-16 23:52:36

I'm a social worker. If someone reported this to us you may well get a visit (could be indicative of other issues). On visiting and seeing no other issues we'd advise you not to do it again. You just never know what might happen (e.g. one of the other kids gets paint in their eye, you turn your back to tend to them, baby is snatched/ attacked by dog, wakes up and falls out/ wanders off). I understand your reasoning but I wouldn't do it again personally. Obviously it's your neighbourhood, your home and your child.

BikeRunSki Sun 14-Feb-16 23:54:04

I thought it was normal for babies to sleep outside in their prams on the garden. Mine did, I did, my mum did....

What does your neighbour think happens to the baby when you go out with her and she falls asleep in the pram? That's no different in terms of coldness.

PaulAnkaTheDog Sun 14-Feb-16 23:54:47

So he rest of the family are having a riot indoors and the little one is literally left out in the cold.

Got to love the extreme dramatics...

WhiteBlueDaisies Sun 14-Feb-16 23:56:05

I wouldn't, but can't really think of a reason why! I guess it depends on your set up. All I can picture is a baby left out on a driveway and it seems odd to me.

What I find interesting is that if you had asked about leaving your baby in the car lots of posters would be outraged, what's the difference between car and outside?

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 14-Feb-16 23:56:26

In Scandanavian childcare facilities children often are left to nap outside until the temp drops to -15 degrees.

YANBU OP.

AndNowItsSeven Sun 14-Feb-16 23:56:58

That's why social workers get a bad name. The op is watching her dd , and she is well wrapped up, also fresh air is healthy for babies.

BertrandRussell Mon 15-Feb-16 00:00:29

Oh, come on!

A social worker worried about a well cared for baby asleep in her pushchair in her own garden? Give me strength!

mummymeister Mon 15-Feb-16 00:00:37

No Op is not watching her baby. she is keeping an eye on her. the baby is outside and she is inside doing something else with the other children and could easily become distracted.

this is not the op sitting on a bench in the front garden with the baby in the pram next to her.

the baby is outside, a front doors distance away, and the OP is watching for most of the time - 70 - 80%.

fresh air is fantastic for babies. this isn't.

ElderlyKoreanLady Mon 15-Feb-16 00:01:20

The temperature isn't a problem...see PP's info about it being common practice in colder countries.

But I couldn't leave DD out front. It's unlikely something would happen at a point where you were distracted but not impossible.

lilydaisyrose Mon 15-Feb-16 00:01:23

My youngest is 6 & I did this when he was 6m-2yrs. Not every day but at least once a week. He used to fall asleep watching the birds!

BertrandRussell Mon 15-Feb-16 00:02:07

"fresh air is fantastic for babies. this isn't."

Exactly why not? Alien abduction? A bit of tinfoil on the pram hood would sort that........

BlueJug Mon 15-Feb-16 00:02:46

YANBU - can't believe all the disaster scenarios!

Number of babies eaten by foxes v number of babies hurt in car accidents
Number of babies snatched v number of babies hurt in accidents in the home

Never take your baby in a car or a house!! Ha ha

Baby should be fine. Temp ok, and you are watching her

Xmasbaby11 Mon 15-Feb-16 00:04:09

Well I wouldn't do it. In the past I've let my older child into the house to watch TV while I've sat outside with napping baby.

Babymamamama Mon 15-Feb-16 00:05:23

Seriously though what about foxes? Does no one consider that a risk?

29PaddingtonSt Mon 15-Feb-16 00:06:08

Wow! I'm shocked this would trigger a visit from a social worker. It's healthy and normal for babies to sleep outside. Mine did so in all weathers. If the sun came out after a torrential downpour the pram would steam! I always used a cat net and made sure they were wrapped up warmly.

SuckingEggs Mon 15-Feb-16 00:06:17

Yabu.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now