Advanced search

AIBU to think DD is most unreasonable and you should all agree with me

(35 Posts)
IAmPissedOffWithAHeadmaster Sat 13-Feb-16 15:14:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

IAmPissedOffWithAHeadmaster Sat 13-Feb-16 15:15:25

TiggeryBear Sat 13-Feb-16 15:17:21

I did the same for my 2nd attempt (which I passed!) As I couldn't take the pressure from others asking me about it all the time.

Starman16 Sat 13-Feb-16 15:24:01

I learnt to drive completely in secret (it was after I'd left home) and then just sent my mum a photo of me with my certificate once I passed grin

So think yourself lucky I guess?!

UntilTheCowsComeHome Sat 13-Feb-16 15:26:50

I'm planning on keeping it all a secret when I learn to drive.

I've put up with comments from everyone I know since I was 17 about not driving and don't want any pressure on me when I do decide to do it.

AnotherTimeMaybe Sat 13-Feb-16 15:34:01

Well she should tell you really, I assume you're paying for it?

IAmPissedOffWithAHeadmaster Sat 13-Feb-16 15:36:13

GruntledOne Sat 13-Feb-16 15:36:27

DD did this second time round, as she said it made it much less stressful not having the weight of other people's expectations, and knowing she wouldn't have to deal with everyone asking how she got on if she failed again. And in fact she passed. I think she was absolutely right.

AnotherTimeMaybe Sat 13-Feb-16 15:37:52

Do you think she told her friends though?

Sixweekstowait Sat 13-Feb-16 15:39:29

Yes well just wait until you think she is BU for not telling you when she is TTC/when the dgc's EDD is/when labour starts/when the induction is booked for/when the dgc's is borngrin

SirChenjin Sat 13-Feb-16 15:40:08

The caaaaah shock

Of course she should tell you. It is your right as her mother to know exactly what she's doing and when, and your right to worry obsessively and ask her eleventy billion questions about whether she feels ready for it/has been studying her highway code/etc.

Is it to late to put her up for adoption do you think?

grin

Squiff85 Sat 13-Feb-16 15:40:42

Ha ha this would drive me mad, I don't blame you wanting to know! xx

soontobepenfold Sat 13-Feb-16 15:41:28

Much less stressful not knowing, when I failed my test (s) it really upset me having to tell people I'd failed and it really knocked my confidence I felt like I'd let my parents down, passed the one I kept a secret (4th time). Good luck to your DD smile

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Sat 13-Feb-16 15:43:20

I booked DD's test and didn't tell her when it was. I knew, her dad knew, her instructor knew, her employer knew but she didn't.

DickDewy Sat 13-Feb-16 15:43:27

At least it will stop you being in paroxysms of anxiety on the day of her test, as I was.

I bade him a bright and breezy 'you'll be fine' in the morning, and then worked myself into a private flap all day until I heard (he passed).

And, yes, it's nice to not have to give him £50 a week for his lesson!

IAmPissedOffWithAHeadmaster Sat 13-Feb-16 15:48:25

dementedma Sat 13-Feb-16 15:49:31

Mine did that. First I knew was a WhatsApp with a photo of her with her certificate

OhYouLuckyDuck Sat 13-Feb-16 15:51:42

Maybe you telling her that you'd tell all of your friends and family to stay off the roads when she did it wasn't such a good idea after all?

IAmPissedOffWithAHeadmaster Sat 13-Feb-16 15:53:12

OhYouLuckyDuck Sat 13-Feb-16 15:53:27

Starman I didn't tell my parents I was learning (I'd also left home) and one day I drove to their house.

SirChenjin Sat 13-Feb-16 15:53:55

Hmm - fair point. Looks like you're stuck with her grin

giggly Sat 13-Feb-16 15:54:55

Are you my ds in RL?

MrsJayy Sat 13-Feb-16 15:55:14

DD told me the first time and failed refused to tell me the 2nd I was a jinx or something cheeky moo

Bohemond Sat 13-Feb-16 15:56:59

My parents went on holiday for 2 weeks the day after I passed my test at 17. They were secretly hoping I would fail!

Duckdeamon Sat 13-Feb-16 16:11:31

Most stressful exam EVER! Way worse than any job interview too. Shudder.

My DM was working when I had my test and when got back home after the test to find my Dad biting his nails she had left me a really massive box of chocolates and congratulations card in a show of faith.

My sibling passed the sixth time, stopped telling people after the second one, now is a very good driver though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now