Talk

Advanced search

to think that the BBC are morally wrong to do this?

(115 Posts)
OhYouLuckyDuck Sat 13-Feb-16 11:24:29

On Back in Time for the weekend the family take out the piano and replace it with a television. They are then shown smashing the piano. I am incensed at the waste and the message that this sends out to people that it's OK to throw away perfectly good stuff that can be used still.

hiddenhome2 Sat 13-Feb-16 11:27:59

Was it a functional piano?

It might have been just for show and a rubbishy one. There are a lot of them around.

On the whole though, it's just unpleasant vandalism to smash stuff up sad

BelfastSmile Sat 13-Feb-16 11:29:00

Agree entirely. It also says "I don't want this, so no one else will".

UndramaticPause Sat 13-Feb-16 11:29:24

It was functional. It really upset me too but I'm a musician and to me that's akin to smashing up a small child

Trills Sat 13-Feb-16 11:29:49

Most likely it was not "perfectly good".

Objects are destroyed in order to make TV shows all the time.

Some objects are created specifically in order to be filmed being destroyed.

OhYouLuckyDuck Sat 13-Feb-16 11:30:02

Yes, it was certainly a functional piano.

araiba Sat 13-Feb-16 11:30:42

get over yourself

OhYouLuckyDuck Sat 13-Feb-16 11:30:59

Oh, and the presenter's justification "It's what they did"

You can say that about lots of things that weren't ok, it doesn't make it OK to do it now.

Greydog Sat 13-Feb-16 11:32:00

I saw that on the trailer and thought I'd give the prog. a miss - the first one wasn't up to much, and I agree with the OP - there was no need to do this.

Schoolchauffeur Sat 13-Feb-16 11:32:18

I thought it was a shame too, but having actually tried to get rid of a piano I have some sympathy. Had a reasonable condition piano to sell a few years ago. Tried advertising it for sale at a bargain price, tried giving it away - still no takers. Tried various schools/ local groups/ residential homes- everyone either had one or had no room for one. Eventually had to pay someone to take it away who admitted that he would probably have to break it up!

UmbongoUnchained Sat 13-Feb-16 11:32:21

You haven't lived till you've smashed up an old piano!

Trills Sat 13-Feb-16 11:33:06

Nobody was hurt.

It's just an object.

Do you object every time something is broken on TV?

hiddenhome2 Sat 13-Feb-16 11:33:43

It was functional? Well, that's a shame then sad

I paid £50 for my first piano. It was a total donkey, but I loved it and got to grade 3 in 18 months.

Cheby Sat 13-Feb-16 11:34:12

Old pianos are basically worthless second hand. You have to pay people to take them away usually. I imagine it was something like that.

hiddenhome2 Sat 13-Feb-16 11:34:38

How many people here who don't object are musicians?

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Sat 13-Feb-16 11:35:14

That upset me too, I did an actual 😱 face.

Cadenza1818 Sat 13-Feb-16 11:35:17

Really upset me too but I'm a pianist so I'm excused!

UmbongoUnchained Sat 13-Feb-16 11:35:18

I'm a musician hidden

OhYouLuckyDuck Sat 13-Feb-16 11:36:10

We have an old piano, it was from an old woman's home who had kept it because her children had learnt to play on it and she wanted it to go to a home with children. My two have both learnt to play on it and I'd hate it to be smashed up.
(disclaimer, I may be over thinking this, my grandfather and his father were both piano makers)

thecitydoc Sat 13-Feb-16 11:38:05

whether something is morally wrong depends on your morals. There was a time when everyone had the same morals, based on Judea/Christian ethics. Today people's morals a varied but not sure if breaking up a piano is or ever was morally wrong - certainly a waste

hiddenhome2 Sat 13-Feb-16 11:39:14

I wouldn't like anybody to smash up my piano sad

tomatodizzy Sat 13-Feb-16 11:41:12

That is a senseless waste and a symbol of a throwaway society. I find that sad and who ever said that just because they used to do it doesn't mean it is ok to do it now is spot on. Shocking. We bought a cheap piano in the UK for £50 took it to Brazil and gave it to a local group that teaches drama, dance and music to poor children. They had it fixed up really well and it is serving a worthwhile purpose. Piano's in Brazil, even crappy ones are still a fortune and luxury that few can afford. BBC should be ashamed of themselves.

SaltySeaBird Sat 13-Feb-16 11:43:05

I'm not a musician and it upsets me to think of a piano being smashed up!

limitedperiodonly Sat 13-Feb-16 11:43:18

I've never got over the Italian Job in 1969 where the Mafia bulldoze an Aston Martin and two E-type Jags over a cliff. Earlier they destroy a Lamborghini Miura in an explosion.

I would have had just one of those.

I don't care about an old piano that they probably couldn't give away. It happens.

UmbongoUnchained Sat 13-Feb-16 11:43:20

I had to smash it up because I moved to a house that had no room for it. And it's really really hard to get rid of pianos these days. Nobody wants them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now