Talk

Advanced search

To go and buy a lock?

(85 Posts)
WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sat 13-Feb-16 08:39:24

For my fridge.

To stop my 12 year old stealing food and lying about it. With his mouth full of said food. All smeared round his face and dropped on the floor and over the clean laundry that was waiting to go in the drier...

It's not a hunger thing. It's a cheese thing. He can eat his dinner (generally a good eater, not fussy) then as soon as I leave the room, he is stuffing his face with cheese.

I try not to buy it too often, as he just eats the lot. But if we have pizza or baked potato, I buy some.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sat 13-Feb-16 08:39:57

And can anybody tell me where to get a good one?

nocabbageinmyeye Sat 13-Feb-16 08:50:11

For "stealing" cheese, really? I think locking away good and him stuffing his face and lying all sounds a bit unhealthy and frankly ott for a bit of cheese. Would you not buy two blocks and tell ds one is his and the other is not and to not eat it.

A lock on the fridge for cheese just seems extreme to me

RoganJosh Sat 13-Feb-16 08:51:17

Buy it from the deli counter and only get the amount you need?

HeddaGarbled Sat 13-Feb-16 08:52:01

Let the boy have cheese. Why can't he have a few slices of cheese after every meal?

BareBearBum Sat 13-Feb-16 08:52:23

It's just cheese? Then I'd say the same as Rogan and just get what you need.

Vagndidit Sat 13-Feb-16 08:57:27

He's a growing boy. Let him have his cheese. and stop projecting your own food issues onto your kid

cuntycowfacemonkey Sat 13-Feb-16 09:02:22

Unless he's wating a whole block in one sitting I don't see the issue really

AuldYow Sat 13-Feb-16 09:10:22

Putting a lock on the fridge is more bonkers behaviour than cramming cheese in tbh.

Chicagomd Sat 13-Feb-16 09:10:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Euphemia Sat 13-Feb-16 09:12:57

He's 12 - they eat like horses at that age! Let him eat what he needs. My DH used to get through a loaf of bread a day in his teens.

SaucyJack Sat 13-Feb-16 09:15:32

Is he overweight?

Would echo everyone else's views really. I don't think a chunk of cheese is the worst thing he could be eating tbh.

AutumnLeavesArePretty Sat 13-Feb-16 09:19:30

It's not stealing food, it's his home. Why can't he have some cheese, lots of people choose it as a snack.

Katenka Sat 13-Feb-16 09:24:22

Unless he is overweight I would let it go. Or unless he is eating an entire block in one go.

OhYouLuckyDuck Sat 13-Feb-16 09:24:25

It depends if you want your DS to end up with food related issues really? It's his home, the food is for all of you after all.

liz70 Sat 13-Feb-16 09:24:57

If his weight is in the normal range for his height - and even then some chunkiness can be expected before they grow into full adult height - then I wouldn't be bothered about the eating, rather the messiness. Is he cramming food into his mouth in a hurry for fear of getting "caught"? IMO children can't " steal" food from their own home ffs - that's such a weird attitude. Obviously for their own health it's best not to encourage greed if possible, but accusing your own kids of "stealing" food in their own home - please. hmm

NeedsAsockamnesty Sat 13-Feb-16 09:26:34

Does he have a weight issue?

What2 Sat 13-Feb-16 09:28:33

You can get fridge lockers from Amazon.

I probably opt for buying less cheese though. Cheese really does hit a spot that other food can't hit so I can sort of understand your son desire to wolf it down. I'd be cross about him lying though.

IsabelMarant Sat 13-Feb-16 09:30:14

There has to be more to this than cheese surely?

Helenluvsrob Sat 13-Feb-16 09:31:38

Is his name Ben gunn ?

Sorry. No advice except maybe a small cash box with lock for cheese rather than locking the whole fridge?

DangerMouth Sat 13-Feb-16 09:32:17

Sorry OP but that is just mean. Putting a lock on your fridge so you can police it?

Sure it's probably annoying that he's eating the cheese, so buy more.

VikingLady Sat 13-Feb-16 09:35:00

If he's really craving cheese and nothing else, you need to look at his diet. The only real cheese addicts I know have insufficient salt and fat in their diets. Both are essential to a growing boy.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Sat 13-Feb-16 09:38:25

As poster above said, the cheese is for EVERYBODY.

Yes, he eats a whole blooming pack in one go.

Then lies about it, with cheese falling out of his mouth as he says "I'm not eating anything"

I bought him a bag of Red Leicester, as asked for by him. That's hardly been touched, but the whole bag of cheddar/mozzeralla that was for tonight's pizza is gone.

Dd isn't big enough to open the fridge. I was also helping her on the toilet at the time.

I am pretty sure I didn't buy an empty pack from asda and leave that in my fridge.

He is getting fat. He is allowed some of the cheese.

But I can't afford to keep replacing it, just because he is hungry. As he is too lazy to get up and get breakfast.

I think I will stop buying cheese. Cheapest solution.

IAmPissedOffWithAHeadmaster Sat 13-Feb-16 09:42:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Katenka Sat 13-Feb-16 09:43:35

If he is eating an entire block/bag in the time it takes to go to the toilet. Every a toddler, there is a problem.

The fact that he doesn't care that it's for everyone (even though he has his own) is a behaviour that needs dealing with. Not because it's good. But because he is being inconsiderate and selfish. The fact that he eats everyone else's when he has his own is very selfish behaviour.

I would be looking at some sort of consequence. Like I would if he was being selfish with something else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now