Talk

Advanced search

To think you shouldn't be rude about peoples age

(16 Posts)
Abbinob Fri 12-Feb-16 17:08:41

Especially when you don't have magical powers to know how old they even are.
Was at the park just now with toddler, man (late 30s ish) asked how old he was, then "so how old were you when you had him then like 15 or something?" Told him no, I'm 24, so 22.
I get this shit all the time. I don't look 17. Or 18. I look like I'm 24, because I am. Even if I wasn't how would it be anyone else's business anyway.
It's not like you can go around saying "oh but you look really old to have kids when did you have them?"
Its ust rude. And weird.
Weird because i know full wll that I look 24, or around that. I doubt they think I'm a teenager so is it just a weird thing people do for something reason like a weird covert bitchy remark or what?

Pseudo341 Fri 12-Feb-16 17:13:28

People shouldn't be rude, end of. Even if you had had him when you were 15, it's none of his business. Sounds like the guy's just a complete arse and you looked young and therefore an easy target. Some people seem to enjoy being nasty to other people. Don't waste any of your precious time stressing over it, he's a dick and not worth your energy.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Fri 12-Feb-16 17:38:42

You should've just said, "No, I was 12."

Give him something to stew over.

MadamDeathstare Fri 12-Feb-16 17:58:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Xmasbaby11 Fri 12-Feb-16 18:02:13

You're easily offended! When I was that age I looked much younger and people commented on it.( I didn't have kids) I can't remember ever being offended - it's generally a compliment.

Abbinob Fri 12-Feb-16 18:08:05

Xmasbaby people say it in a lot less of a complimentary way when you have kids. Theyre saying it in a 'too young to have kids' kind of way

Dolallytats Fri 12-Feb-16 18:56:53

I had my first DD at 19. We were on a bus journey when she was 2 and she was being all cute and smiley to a man behind us. I turned round to see if the person was ok with it and he said 'she's your sister'. I told him no, she was my daughter and he just stated again that she was my sister.

It was a bit odd that he thought he knew more than I did, but some folk are strange!!

Orda1 Fri 12-Feb-16 19:25:11

Well you were young.

I'm around the same age and get the same sort of corners, though I don't have any children. It's annoying but try to ignore it.

Orda1 Fri 12-Feb-16 19:25:45

Comments

Crazypetlady Fri 12-Feb-16 21:05:49

It's rude and unnecessary yanbu

Hobbes8 Fri 12-Feb-16 21:09:54

I was 36 when I had my daughter and was mistaken for her grandmother. Technically a 36 year old could be a baby's grandmother I suppose, but I was pretty pissed off. some People are just stupid and don't think.

bibbitybobbityyhat Fri 12-Feb-16 21:11:32

He was flirting with you. Yanbu to find that unwelcome and irritating. Does it happen to you a lot op? If just a one off, I would try and get over it and think about something more positive.

Abbinob Fri 12-Feb-16 21:14:35

I hope he wasnt! Men in their late 30s/early 40s flirt with people by telling them they look like a 17 year old. Gross.

Where I live people do tend to have babies later, when my mum has ds people sometimes think he's hers, she's 50 and the "young" mums group is 25 and under which I find a little silly tbh

Abbinob Fri 12-Feb-16 21:15:41

He was hot though blush

deste Fri 12-Feb-16 21:18:53

My DD is nearly 30 and looks about 19. She works in a school and if the kids didn't wear uniform she would look like a pupil instead of teaching staff. I don't think she minds at all.

dustarr73 Fri 12-Feb-16 22:37:21

I had my 2 sons with me walking to the shops.I must have been 23,24.A woman stopped me and said i was very good bringing my brothers out.I just laughed and said they where my sons.

But it will land you in good sted.I have a 20 and 19 yr old and people say i dont look old enough.So in a few years you will be grateful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now