Would this bother you?

(29 Posts)
FleeBee Thu 11-Feb-16 20:24:47

Friend A has arranged a weekend hotel for a group of 6 friends. There was a promotional price that worked out at £70pp dinner, bed. & breakfast based on twin rooms.
Friend A has told me that there was an offer that if you bought 3 rooms you could get the 4th for free. So she's taking the free room at a later date for her & her DP.

I'm not bothered by this, but friends B & C are annoyed & are saying that A & DP shouldn't get the 4th weekend for free & they should spilt the costs equally across the full group (8 ways) . I can see a row developing & part of me thinks that if A takes the free weekend it's her reward for doing all the hassle of organising, which I don't like doing! I'm happy to pay & turn up at the designated place & time. I was happy with the original £70pp price so it is irrelevant if A has a free room.
Any thoughts?

Quoteunquote Thu 11-Feb-16 20:29:02

Honestly it wouldn't bother me in the slightest, I would be happy for anyone who arranged a trip for me to get some reward from it, and it wouldn't cost me a penny. Hopefully her friends will be happy for her, and if bothered can arrange repeat weekends away until everyone has had a free one, that way everyone wins.

She'll probably bring a bottle of bubbly as way of thanks.

spanky2 Thu 11-Feb-16 20:30:01

I agree with you. She did organise it.

CooPie10 Thu 11-Feb-16 20:30:17

I think as she is the one that's down all the leg work she deserves the weekend.

TwatMagnet Thu 11-Feb-16 20:31:22

I can see how it might be annoying to someone who hasn't thought through just exactly how much faff goes into arranging something like this. I couldn't find the energy to care though. Perhaps someone should just point out that in the grand scheme of things it's really not a big thing.

anyoldname76 Thu 11-Feb-16 20:33:46

i would see it as her 'reward' for organising everything

ispymincepie Thu 11-Feb-16 20:42:59

I can imagine I'd be a little peeved to be honest but I suppose it would depend on how much effort A had put into the organising. If she'd done lots of research, booked it on her credit card and arranged the transport for instance I probably wouldn't mind but if she just happened to be the one who made the phone call rather than you or the other friends I would definitely want to split the cost fairly.

LalaLyra Thu 11-Feb-16 20:44:12

Could they feel she should have at least offered to share some of the discount? One of those 'I wouldn't have taken it, but she should have offered' type scenarios?

I wouldn't be bothered as £70 is a good price for a weekend away.

PuntasticUsername Thu 11-Feb-16 20:44:46

I'd probably think it was a bit cheeky of her just to announce she was taking the room for herself, but it wouldn't bother me enough to say anything to her about it.

SevenSeconds Thu 11-Feb-16 20:46:20

I wouldn't kick up a fuss but I would think it was a bit cheeky of her.

TheoriginalLEM Thu 11-Feb-16 20:49:41

Was the deal that you actually had to have the room at a later date?

FleeBee Thu 11-Feb-16 20:49:56

She only mentioned it in passing that she could get a 4th for Free so not offered any discount to the others & the way she spoke about it I don't believe it's even crossed her mind that anyone else would be bothered with her taking it at it is free & we only need 3 rooms for the 6 of us.

The deal came via an email groupon type thing. She has researched the place to make sure it's not a dump! Liaised to get a date that suited everyone - which was a bit tricky with 6 people. Then contacted the hotel booked & paid. We have all transferred the money to her straightaway. Not sure about transport yet. 2 friends don't drive but I assume we will take 2 cars.

BlueJug Thu 11-Feb-16 20:49:59

Actually, going against the grain here. I'd be furious. I doubt there was much "leg work" involved. I'd feel used.

Why should you pay for her weekend away? I see it that friend A decided she wanted a free weekend away and saw how she could get you all to "contribute" to it.
I hate people who do that.

I had a neighbour who recommended a fence supplier and afterwards I realized that I was paying the "standard" price and he was getting the "Multiple Order Discount" and getting his fence cheap. I cancelled the contract - did my own deal direct, was in control and negotiated a better single person price.

Mean I think

BlueJug Thu 11-Feb-16 20:57:48

By the way - if it had been me I would have charged you all £52.50 per person and paid £52.50 each for my DP and me on the next occasion. A fair split
6 x 70 = £420 ( and two go free) + 2 x £0 = £420
or

8 x £52.50 = £420 - everyone shares the discount

FleeBee Thu 11-Feb-16 21:20:21

Blue Jug that's exactly what Friend B & C are saying.
I don't know if they can even take the 4th weekend at a separate date to us 6 going & I really can't see friend A's DP coming with us!
I will confirm with A if she has taken the freebie & if she is going with her DP at another time.

A & B have a slightly frayed friendship while the rest of us get on brilliantly. I'd hate for the trip to be spoiled with bad feelings over the free weekend. It's meant to be a break for our usual drudgery!

FleeBee Thu 11-Feb-16 21:20:33

Blue Jug that's exactly what Friend B & C are saying.
I don't know if they can even take the 4th weekend at a separate date to us 6 going & I really can't see friend A's DP coming with us!
I will confirm with A if she has taken the freebie & if she is going with her DP at another time.

A & B have a slightly frayed friendship while the rest of us get on brilliantly. I'd hate for the trip to be spoiled with bad feelings over the free weekend. It's meant to be a break for our usual drudgery!

Only1scoop Thu 11-Feb-16 21:21:32

It's normally 3 nights and 4th free.

FleeBee Thu 11-Feb-16 21:25:36

This is 3 rooms & 4th free. We are only staying 1 night

Veterinari Thu 11-Feb-16 21:32:26

I think she should have it. If she hadn't coordinated everything you'd all still be paying £70 so she hasn't 'taken' anyone's discount, and probably wouldn't go for 2 weekends at one place without the discount

Tywinlannister Thu 11-Feb-16 21:34:34

I bet she's gutted she mentioned it now! I think she should have it, you often get deals that give something free to the organiser. £70 is a really good price!

ZiggyFartdust Thu 11-Feb-16 21:37:34

Why on earth would anyone be furious or pissed off?
You need three rooms, so the free fourth one is of no use to anyone. She did all the work involved, researched, planned, booked and paid (and ran the risk of not getting it back if anyone dropped out).
Anyone begrudging her the bonus involved that they couldn't make use of anyway is an asshole.

FleeBee Thu 11-Feb-16 21:38:35

You're absolutely right. I cannot muster the energy to be bothered & think the price is fine. I will tell B & C I'm not going to be involved with any discussion on this. I've paid my share & looking forward to a night away & not had to do any organising which is a bonus

ProfessorPreciseaBug Thu 11-Feb-16 21:40:42

A, B, C get a room for an agreed price. All agree to the offer.
Turns put that taking three rooms the hotel offers another room FOC.
That room would require participant D to be part... but there is no D...
But B&C are pissed off they are not gettting a discount on the price of what they agreed to purchase... which incidently was was not offered.

B&C..... ABU

icelollycraving Thu 11-Feb-16 21:41:26

I'd actually think it was quite rude to just take it. I think the discount should be divided out or at least discussed. To assume she gets it will cause bad feeling. If you think it'll spoil your weekend or cause an under current of dissatisfaction,could you give her the heads up?

Mrsderekshepard Thu 11-Feb-16 21:42:14

I think she should get the room as she has gone to the trouble to organize it. I arrange the works Christmas and I have every year for the past three years. This year 'our' company won a spa day on the night of the party. I did hope I would get it for all my troubles but no I didn't confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now