husband / work

(11 Posts)
ohisay Thu 11-Feb-16 17:43:25

I honestly don't know if IABU or not!
Husband was made redundant.
15 years service in same job.
Worked his backside off getting interviews and was offered several jobs.Lots of thought, took one. Quit after a week. He has what he considers to be valid reasons and concerns. I wasn't happy and felt he handled it badly but it's his choice.
Started a new one straight away. Already making complaints about the travel ( 15 years of a walk to walk to know 3+ hours driving a day). Have told him it was his decision and he knew exactly the Journey when he chose to take the job.
Today he has told me he is In early talks for a different job.
AIBU to be furious now? He has a job. The second job he decided was the right one. He has been there DAYS. AIBU to think he can't just flit from job to job and quit for every little thing he doesn't like?!
I want to scream. I thought job #1 was the end of all the stress, I feel like this is never going to end and he's now bringing it on himself.

ohisay Thu 11-Feb-16 17:45:01

I Blame predictive text for any errors blush

Lweji Thu 11-Feb-16 17:47:56

Is he still mourning the previous job if he liked it?
No job may measure up to it, as the first days are always awkward.
It looks like he's rushing a bit to get the jobs in case he wouldn't be able to get another.
But if he has a good job now, I'd have a quiet talk with him about his motivation and how he may want to settle and only go for something really good.

Spanglecrab Thu 11-Feb-16 17:50:53

It depends. It seems that with multiple job offers it might be that he is very employable?

In my industry I could let people know i am about to become avaliable and I would be snapped up. More a reflection on the industry I work in than my own skills.

As a result of this I know that I can search for the work conditions that suit me best without the worry of leaving myself unemployed.

Is it the same for your husband?

firesidechat Thu 11-Feb-16 18:12:10

He might be highly employable, but there are only so many short term jobs you can have on your CV before it starts to look bad.

Do you think the new job (if he gets it) will be a better fit for him?

catsinthecraddle Thu 11-Feb-16 18:16:53

He can hide the first job easily (it's only a week), but he really need to get his priorities right.

I think he's mad to take a job with a 3 hours commute when he's used to walk to work. Any chance he could start contracting (3 or 6 months contract) instead of going for perm? I know that financially it's not great nowadays, but it's still an income. It would take off the pressure, make him used to different environments, and have a clearer idea of what he is after.

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 11-Feb-16 18:17:13

I wouldn't want to do 3+ hours of driving a day! Maybe he didn't realise quite how tiring it would be until he did it himself?

YANBU to be frustrated, but YWBU to expect him to stick at a job he hates when there are other offers available for him.

Babycham1979 Thu 11-Feb-16 18:24:37

What about you, OP? How lomg have you been in your job? Do you love it? What's the commute like?

I'm asking because spending 40+ hours a week doing something you loathe is soul-destroying. It's unreasonable to expect anyone to do this when they have other options, and it sounds like he's not short of offers.

ohisay Thu 11-Feb-16 18:35:45

Thanks for the replies, I'm not sure how to reply individually sorry, but I will answer as best as can!
Yes he is very employable, and he's worked hard to get to where he is and I am proud of him for that!
he did enjoy his job, which was partly why the first new job didn't work as he felt it was too different. He is now back in the industry he enjoys with lots of opportunity for promotion, which he wants. I don't envy him driving so much but he did have a choice! He deserves the right job for him of course he does but how many one week jobs can he take before he runs his reputation!

Babycham1979 Thu 11-Feb-16 19:38:12

Ohisay, what do you do for work?

ohisay Thu 11-Feb-16 20:47:59

Currently a childminder, previously worked in retail with travel averaging around 45 minutes, so i have never had to travel the way he now does.
We've chatted and it will be easy enough to leave the job/jobs off his cv given that he was only recently made redundant anyway. Mostly I am BU to get so worried and stressed about it, he's a sensible man and stands by his choices and would never let it have a negative impact financially for us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now