Talk

Advanced search

To bury dds hamster in the woods :(

(18 Posts)
PinanNidan Thu 11-Feb-16 17:37:15

Dds hamster died. We are in a flat with no garden. We have some woods two minutes away. There is no rule is there where i can get in trouble if caught?

helenahandbag Thu 11-Feb-16 17:38:03

We live in a flat with no garden and our poor little hamster was buried in the grassy patch at the back of the car park blush

LetThereBeCupcakes Thu 11-Feb-16 17:40:14

Do you have space for a good sized pot plant? I did this when my rabbit died and we knew we would be moving house. Don't know if it would need to be outside though... Balcony?

Sorry for your loss. flowers

FoxFeatures Thu 11-Feb-16 17:40:15

I doubt there is a rule. Just make sure you bury it deeply. Dogs will smell it and dig it up otherwise.

Floralnomad Thu 11-Feb-16 17:43:14

I reckon it will get dug up by a fox unless you dig a massive hole , better to just take it to the vets and ask them to dispose of poor hammy .

PinanNidan Thu 11-Feb-16 17:43:54

No balcony. Its converted house.just a tarmac carpark at the back.

roundandroundthehouses Thu 11-Feb-16 17:44:17

I'm very sorry for your loss sad . No such thing as 'only a hamster'.

In practical terms, the depth of hole you'd have to dig to avoid it being disturbed by animals might be too much for you to get away with on public ground. The plant pot option might be better, or maybe you could ask a vet to cremate it?

timechoes Thu 11-Feb-16 17:49:47

think you'd have to pay for cremation, but i guess you'd have to ask.

I my time I have buried two, one ok i had a rented back garden, but the other i had to go to a park at night and put him under a tree.

fakenamefornow Thu 11-Feb-16 17:53:28

I would. And to be honest I don't think I'd see it as a great problem if some wild animal did eat it, difficult to keep somebody's pet dog doing the same though. Just bury it quite deep.

PinanNidan Thu 11-Feb-16 18:14:21

I have put him in the woods . In a place not many people go. If an animal digs him up thats nature i guess.

scribblegirl Thu 11-Feb-16 18:16:45

You're lovely Pinan, when my hamster died when I was 8 my mum chucked him in the public bin on the way to school one morning! (Admittedly she didn't tell me this at the time, but still!)

Rip DHamster

PinanNidan Thu 11-Feb-16 18:19:59

Thanks everyone.
Dd got him in the midst of horrific bullying in year 5. She is in year 8 now so not bad going bless him.

NorahBone Thu 11-Feb-16 18:35:42

One of our babies degus died recently and I put his body in the bin bag with the hay etc when I cleaned them out and put it in the wheely bin sad. (Also in a flat with no pot plants.)
I think digging a hole in woodlands might be quite difficult with all the roots etc? But whatever you do, make sure hammy is definitely deceased because they can go into hibernation in cold weather. flowers

NorahBone Thu 11-Feb-16 18:36:36

Sorry, just seen you've buried him!

Worried83 Thu 11-Feb-16 19:37:45

When dd's hamster died I buried it on a grassy patch at the back of my flat, few days later I had the POLICE knock on my door saying that someone had reported me 'digging something'hmm, I explained and the officer seemed quite embarrassed, but had to follow it up, some people have too much time on their hands.

astronomy Thu 11-Feb-16 19:45:52

we buried about three hamsters in the woods when we had a flat. i often think of them when i visit the area.

astronomy Thu 11-Feb-16 19:46:47

as i recall, we buried them near a tree which had a 'leave knickers here' sign on it.

KC225 Thu 11-Feb-16 21:00:11

I've got two cats buried deep down on Wimbledon Common.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now