Talk

Advanced search

To be glad we were out late?

(41 Posts)
WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 10-Feb-16 21:58:26

Got home at 8:27, to a group of 5 chuggers in our little street.

What time are they supposed to give up for the day?

Normally, dd is in bed by 8, and the front door is right by the bedrooms!

6 year old over the road is also in bed by then. The widow and the pensioner couple are all settled in front of their tvs...

And walking around th edge of our village in a dark 'charity' t-shirt is first freezing, second, not clever as the roads are not pavemented. Is that a word?

FithColumnist Wed 10-Feb-16 22:21:22

Eh?

DoesAnyoneReadTheseThings Wed 10-Feb-16 22:25:37

They knocked here at 9.15 the other week hmm

jonquil1 Wed 10-Feb-16 22:30:03

I think the word you want is 'paved', op..

And yes, you're right. Completely inappropriate for chuggers to be out annoying peeps at that time. Especially at that time.angry

Hope you told them to bugger off? Or, as my old mum would have said "go and play down your own end" grin

breezydoesit Wed 10-Feb-16 22:33:39

Chugger? Was someone having a wank on your street? confused

fredfredgeorgejnrsnr Wed 10-Feb-16 22:46:46

9pm is the limit under the Code of conduct, you can also ask your council to limit the licences further if the collection is not one of the big charities.

Code of conduct is here
www.institute-of-fundraising.org.uk/code-of-fundraising-practice/sections/public-collections/

You can still complain though to the www.frsb.org.uk , and t-shirts in cold weather might be considered inappropriate clothing, but I think that's really meant to be about misleading rather than the chuggers being cold.

YouMakeMyDreams Wed 10-Feb-16 22:47:04

Chugged- charity mugger. People that try and get you to sign up for direct debit donations to charity. Rude, intrusive and far too pushy.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 10-Feb-16 22:49:15

I didn't speak to them.

I watched from the warmth of my car, while they knocked on my obviously-empty front door.

Thanks jonquil. I knew there was a word...

nattyknitter Wed 10-Feb-16 23:02:49

I have a sign next to my front door

NO sales
religion
charity
politics
or relations
others by invite or appointment only.

I make exceptions for the postie.

People I like know to come round the back, so I know anyone at the front is undesirable. Once its gone dark I don't bother getting up to answer it.

I do think they have a nerve going round that late.

OfficeGirl1969 Wed 10-Feb-16 23:06:01

Holy shit this actually happens?! I had no idea what a chugger was (in my head relates to knocking back of shots in a "chug-a-lug" style"!) So glad I live in the middle of nowhere with no visitors!

Would definitely tell them where to go in the evening!

SolidGoldBrass Wed 10-Feb-16 23:23:54

It's not good. I'm a bit sorry for the actual chuggers in many ways - it's a shitty job and not all that well paid, and they can be under a lot of pressure to sign people up which could be why they are wandering around unpaved roads in the evening with insufficient clothes on. It's the companies who hire them I despise.

What2 Wed 10-Feb-16 23:31:06

I'd complain to the charity. They need to know that it's unacceptable.

IWasHereBeforeTheHack Wed 10-Feb-16 23:47:31

Top Tip - they have to leave if you don't answer the door within 20 seconds.

Cutecat78 Wed 10-Feb-16 23:51:01

They came round here 9pm on a FRIDAY NIGHT ffs - in the pissing rain.

I was half cut by then blush

icclemunchy Wed 10-Feb-16 23:56:26

We had them just after 8 the other night, woke DD2 who had finally gone down after an hour. I was not impressed when he smugly told me they can knock up till 9pm. Not on my bloody door you can't I said and shut the door on him.

So now I've added Marie curie to the list of charities I won't donate too which is a shame because I'm sure hey do great work but I simply won't give money to charities who can afford to pay people to pester for donations

Cutecat78 Wed 10-Feb-16 23:58:37

Mine was Anthony Nolan trust.

I just cut him dead and said I feel sorry for you being out in the rain but I'll stop you right there as I am not going to donate smile

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Wed 10-Feb-16 23:59:56

9pm apparently when I gave one a bollocking for hammering on my door so loud, thought door was been kicked in one late evening and I wasn't happy as DS was in bed.

ExitPursuedByABear Thu 11-Feb-16 00:02:25

Seriously? That would really piss me off.

We don't get them here.

I'm worried now as to why?

pinkyredrose Thu 11-Feb-16 00:04:10

Cute that was probably their method, people half trollied are probably more likely to sign up! grin

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Thu 11-Feb-16 00:17:05

I know someone who does this for a living.

They work up until 9pm every night, they get £18 per sign up and a bonus if the direct debit goes on for 3 months as well as bonuses for the most sign ups in the team etc.

The get told to start speaking as soon as you answer the door as most people are too polite to tell them to fuck off while they are in the middleof complimenting your curtains/kids/dogs/top/house/area/whatever.

I still tell them to fuck off, or ask them how much they donate to that charity if I'm feeling chatty.

I would never signup on the doorstep as most of the money will go to the chugger, much better to give directly to the charity.

ephemeralfairy Thu 11-Feb-16 00:19:37

They employ some really aggressive tactics. I used to live in a big block of flats in London, there were lots of lone parents and older people living alone in the block. We used to get chuggers round pretty late employing really quite aggressive tactics: banging on doors, leaning on buzzers, shouting. I complained to the head office of the charity they were collecting for but I doubt anything came of it. (I know it's not the charity that force these awful tactics but I didn't know what else to do)

CuttedUpPear Thu 11-Feb-16 00:38:00

No, paved would imply that the road itself was paved.
Pavemented actually seems to be the correct term in this instance.

As you were.

gooseberryroolz Thu 11-Feb-16 00:51:19

Oh you beat me to it cutted grin

OP complain to the charity. I lost my temper with a chugger who told me my 'no coldcallers etc' sign 'didn't apply' to him at 8.30pmish. When his colleague knocked a while later i decided to grass the team up to the charity itself. I do it for all late chuggers now. Elderley neighbours being one reason I think it's just not on.

Friendlystories Thu 11-Feb-16 01:42:48

I had one from Water Aid literally hammering on my door at 9pm a while back. I'm particularly sensitive to that situation after our door was kicked in during an aggravated burglary a couple of years back so I wasn't best pleased by the time I'd plucked up the courage to actually open the door. The lad got a fairly thorough bollocking and I emailed head office and complained. I got the usual 'permitted by law until 9pm' reply although it did include an apology and they've apparently removed my address from their canvassing area so they won't be knocking again, I have seen them in our street since and they have missed our house out so that does appear to work. I also have a sign up stating no charity collectors etc so if they still choose to knock it's at their own risk, I've made it fairly clear they won't get a warm welcome.

Bogeyface Thu 11-Feb-16 02:04:06

I do feel sorry for people who do the job.

Its often young people, probably graduates who cant get a job in their chosen field, you rarely see middle aged people doing it.

They are doing it because that is the only job then can get.

So I am very polite, but I still say no.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now