Talk

Advanced search

Nice places to live in Essex.

(17 Posts)
flopseyR72 Wed 10-Feb-16 17:44:09

dear all, I have a permeant job in romford hospital. I am looking for nice places to settle near by (within 30 min drive). I have a 6 month daughter so hoping somewhere nice for her to grow up and go to school. Was thinking of somewhere green. Hoping for a three bedroom place. I have a budget of around 550 - 650 K. Was thinking Chigwell/epping/brentwood/ongar. Any advice? Thanks.

Whiskeywithwater Wed 10-Feb-16 18:16:13

Billericay? You'd get somewhere for that price, and be easily in Romford in 30 mins. Nice high street, beautiful central park (Lake Meadows), woods. Close to done lovely little villages (Stock); great schools (primary and secondary) and good road and rail connections.

sara11272 Wed 10-Feb-16 18:18:05

I second Billericay for all the reasons Whisky gives. Bit cheaper than Brentwood, plus smaller and friendlier.

scarednoob Wed 10-Feb-16 18:19:12

My friend grew up in gidea park, which is near Romford and really nice?

MerryMarigold Wed 10-Feb-16 18:21:21

Check secondary schools. My friend is in Gidea Park but said secondary is no good. Loughton? It's not cheap, but good for getting into London and M25/ M11 access if you need to visit people on a regular basis (we do). Abridge? Theydon Bois.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Wed 10-Feb-16 18:44:35

I've heard Billericay is a nice place so I'd look there.

CaptainHammer Wed 10-Feb-16 19:57:46

I was going to say Billericay too.

flopseyR72 Wed 10-Feb-16 20:00:16

Any thoughts on Epping?

MerryMarigold Wed 10-Feb-16 20:10:44

I'm quite near Epping. Traffic through the centre isn't good, but it is v v v accessible for M11, M25 and the forest. If your dp works in London it's good commuting, and maybe for the future if you get another job, gives you a choice of all the London hospitals. Secondaries are good. Some lovely houses, but you would get a lot more for your money further out. Personally I think it is a LITTLE less 'Essex' than other places, but that's just my opinion and I don't know Billericay at all.

MerryMarigold Wed 10-Feb-16 20:11:56

Look at the Crossrail route too as these places will be good investments and great commuting to London.

Whatwhatinthewhatnow Wed 10-Feb-16 20:23:48

Epping is nice, we live down the road. Very village-y. I'd prefer Loughton. Chigwell also nice. The forest means it's VERY green. Even Chingford has it's nice bits.

ephemeralfairy Wed 10-Feb-16 20:37:08

DP grew up in Romford and says Rise Park. (however he adds the caveat that he get up on the shittest estate in Romford so anywhere seems nice after that)

ephemeralfairy Wed 10-Feb-16 20:37:54

He also says Billericay.

shartsi Wed 10-Feb-16 20:38:40

Upminster is nice

Iwantakitchen Wed 10-Feb-16 20:39:07

Have a look around Wanstead, it's in London not Essex, and great schools and fantastic family atmosphere. It's at the very top end of your budget though.

MerryMarigold Wed 10-Feb-16 20:41:55

It depends what kind of a 'feel' you like. Where we are (which is called Loughton but is really Debden), it has (I think) more of a 'London' feel. A lot of people are moving out here as places like Leytonstone/ Forest Gate/ Stratford/ Walthamstow are now too expensive and they can afford something more decent around here. It is becoming more 'cosmopolitan' and 'trendy', I think. I think it's on the up to be honest and a bit more 'London' than some other parts of Essex. But if you want more rural and 'English', more established, plus more for your buck, then a bit further out.

QueenofLouisiana Wed 10-Feb-16 20:58:12

I lived in Woodford Green- bits of forest mean it's quite green. Some good schools, easy transport.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now