To sell DP's stuff

(45 Posts)
Crazypetlady Wed 10-Feb-16 17:18:24

My d.p has spent a ridiculous amount of money on the credit card on points for one of his ps4 games . I am very tempted to LTB but as it's his first time doing something like this I think it would be a tad overreaction . I am not at all happy though and may stay at my mums for the night to cool off with ds. AIBU to tell him he has to sell some of his things/pick up a couple of extra shifts to pay it off?

Oysterbabe Wed 10-Feb-16 17:24:36

Surely it can come out of his spends? I assume you each have a certain amount for spending on yourselves?

BillSykesDog Wed 10-Feb-16 17:26:21

That's fair enough. Yes, ask him to do that. YANBU.

Birdsgottafly Wed 10-Feb-16 17:26:33

It depends on how it effects you and the running of the house.

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Wed 10-Feb-16 17:27:13

It sounds like you're talking about punishing a child! I would definitely be telling him he needed to get it paid off now, how he manages that is his problem. I would also seriously consider leaving someone who played so fast and free with my finances.

AutumnLeavesArePretty Wed 10-Feb-16 17:30:45

Unless he's expecting you to pay, I don't see the issue. He's a grown man and should be able to spend his salary as he's sees fit.

PennyHasNoSurname Wed 10-Feb-16 17:34:35

Definetly more info needed.

How much has he spent?
How much of an effect will it have on the household income etc?
How much do you each generally have for fripperies?

Crazypetlady Wed 10-Feb-16 17:36:44

We share money we are not well off at all the credit card is for things we really need . I need to buy my son a new buggy and I admit I didn't say don't spend all the money but I would think he would watch what he was spending/.

Crazypetlady Wed 10-Feb-16 17:37:31

We don't have money just to throw away it was £70 round abouts.

araiba Wed 10-Feb-16 17:39:32

would having £70 less cause big problems?

you can't sell his stuff

AutumnLeavesArePretty Wed 10-Feb-16 17:43:48

That's not a huge amount for leisure spending.

Unless there's a huge drip feed that he doesnt work etc then surely it will just come from his wages? Is he not allowed to spend without asking like a child?

Crazypetlady Wed 10-Feb-16 17:44:52

It would cause problems we can pay minimum payment on the creduit card but I really could do with buying bits we needs like a new buggy for ds. Also I am really pissed off that he has done this with no consideration

Crazypetlady Wed 10-Feb-16 17:46:11

We don't have leisure money. The credit card is for things we need but can't afford straaight off. He is on £800 a month.

Arfarfanarf Wed 10-Feb-16 17:46:39

He isn't a child (despite evidence to the contrary! ) so no you cant discipline him by selling his stuff.

What you should do is ask him how he intends to make up the shortfall created by his actions. He created the problem and he needs to solve it.

And have a discussion about finances and pin money

Crazypetlady Wed 10-Feb-16 17:48:14

I am not trying to discipline him I am trying to make sure we are fine financially. We have a baby to think about it is a joke. I do appreciate I can't actually sell his stuff though. I think I just needed more of a rant and should have posted on chat.

pinkyredrose Wed 10-Feb-16 17:48:46

£70 on points for a fucking game?! Is he 5? What a waste of money! YANBU.

BillSykesDog Wed 10-Feb-16 17:49:56

£70 when you can't afford it is a lot of money. He should sell his stuff. His child shouldn't be going without a suitable buggy because he spent his money on something so stupid. What sort of adult puts game credits on a credit card?

UmbongoUnchained Wed 10-Feb-16 17:51:48

I get you OP. Some people really don't understand what it's like to be skint. It would take me months to pay off 70 quid from my credit card that I hadn't budgeted for. Id be livid!

Crazypetlady Wed 10-Feb-16 17:52:16

I am so pissed off I know he didn't think as he has never done anything like this before but he should be thinking.

AutumnLeavesArePretty Wed 10-Feb-16 17:53:02

Is he the only earner?

Crazypetlady Wed 10-Feb-16 17:57:15

He is at the moment. We both agreed with childcare costs me being off is best for now. I have offered to look for another job so it isn't like I am living off him we have decided as a couple to share money my maternity pay stops next week so it's tighter.

SquinkiesRule Wed 10-Feb-16 18:00:26

£70 is a hell of a lot of money when you are low earners.
Tell him he screwed up and needs to get it paid off ASAP and maybe to get rid of the debt he should sell some stuff of his.
Time he grew up and took his responsibilities seriously. Kids and family before fun spending. Even then, fun spending only after making sure all else is paid and there is a bit in the savings for emergencies.
As I told my kids with their first credit card, Pizza and X Box isn't an emergency.

TheWitchwithNoName Wed 10-Feb-16 18:00:31

Surely it would have been cheaper for him to just put the game in the credit card or are some games that expensive now?!!

TheWitchwithNoName Wed 10-Feb-16 18:00:58

Sorry - ON the card!

AutumnLeavesArePretty Wed 10-Feb-16 18:01:32

Then it's even worse, he's not a child. Being the only earner and being chastised for daring to spend your own salary is being controlled and wrong,

If you posted you had shopped and were the only earner and he was threatening to sell your stuff for daring to do so he would be flamed and rightly so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now