Talk

Advanced search

To adopt a cat (again)?

(69 Posts)
thehillshaveyes Wed 10-Feb-16 11:59:04

I adopted a cat last year from a rescue centre but had to take her back as (I thought) dd had an allergic reaction to her. I panicked. Dd's illmess had nothing to do with the cat in the end.

I've been thinking about her every day since and really want her back. Would it be unfair on the cat if I brought her home again?

AliceInUnderpants Wed 10-Feb-16 12:04:17

Is the cat still available after a year? confused

AliceInUnderpants Wed 10-Feb-16 12:05:03

Sorry I now realise it was last year, and not necessarily a year ago. I would wonder why she was still available though, depending on how long has passed.

startingmylifeagain Wed 10-Feb-16 12:06:42

Not unfair on the cat if you are providing a safe and stable home for it, quite the opposite.
However are you sure DDs allergies have nothing to do with it? Also will the cat still be there ?

thehillshaveyes Wed 10-Feb-16 12:06:58

It was just before Christmas. She's 7 years old and I think this puts a lot of people off. She's a beautiful cat and I'd love to give her a second chance.

Janeymoo50 Wed 10-Feb-16 12:10:28

The cat rescue might (just might) be reluctant to rehome her (or another) with you again. I appreciate your situation but you wouldn't be the top of our list for potential adopters (and I really mean no malice with that comment, but it's pretty brutal rehoming cats and returning them is heartbreaking for the staff and volunteers).

thehillshaveyes Wed 10-Feb-16 12:20:35

Yeah I thought about that Janey. I can only ask and find out. My friend said it would be too stressful for the cat but surely it must be less stressful than living in the shelter.

Janeymoo50 Wed 10-Feb-16 12:53:31

It's certainly worth a try, you're right. Plus, we are fast approaching kitten season and shelters get overwhelmed with them so do try so hard "to make space" at this time of the year. She may well be still there (we had some older cats, especially black ones (a whole other story) who were there for months and months).

simonettavespucci Wed 10-Feb-16 12:56:59

I don't think you'd be unreasonable at all. Okay, so you panicked, but returning a cat because one of your family turns out to be allergic is a decent reason to it. And I can't see why she would be any more stressed at coming back to your home than going anywhere else. Good luck!

RobotMenu Wed 10-Feb-16 14:07:29

Why don't you phone them and ask?

thehillshaveyes Wed 10-Feb-16 14:38:56

I've called a few times but there's no answer. She's a black cat too Janey, with a white dot above her eye. I've left a message asking them to call me back so fingers crossed.

thehillshaveyes Wed 10-Feb-16 16:52:59

She's mine again smile

SuperCee7 Wed 10-Feb-16 16:54:52

Oh how lovely OP 😊

Destinysdaughter Wed 10-Feb-16 16:56:57

Aw that's lovely! We need details. And photos! smile

thehillshaveyes Wed 10-Feb-16 17:07:02

I'm picking her up next week. The woman at the rescue said that she was worried about her as people were reserving her and then backing out. I need to think of a name for her!

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Wed 10-Feb-16 17:07:57

Janey I've never understood the dislike for black cats! We had a black cat for 5 years, he was sadly run over last Jan, but he was amazing, brilliant with my dc & a proper lap cat in winter/bad weather although he loved the outdoors in summer. He'd been abandoned before we re homed him.
Hills so glad you've got her back smile

OTheHugeManatee Wed 10-Feb-16 17:21:11

Photos please! I love a black cat and can't ever resist a cat adoption thread smile

scarednoob Wed 10-Feb-16 18:32:08

I would adopt a cat like a shot if I didn't have stupid allergies, and I love black ones, they are so slinky and elegant. Why on earth are they unpopular?

OP hope your cat is thrilled to be home with her family!

willowsummers Wed 10-Feb-16 18:37:44

Aw, I like this thread smile

BlueJug Wed 10-Feb-16 18:48:13

Well done. I am sure you will be happy. Mine's a black with white feet and splashes on face. Love a cat in the house. They just make everything seem "alright"

Destinysdaughter Wed 10-Feb-16 19:01:01

Here's my puss! Sorry but had to share. smile

thehillshaveyes Wed 10-Feb-16 19:03:14

She's gorgeous smile

I'll post a picture when I get her back. I'm moving house on Friday, would I be crazy to pick her up on Sunday?

Dotandethel Wed 10-Feb-16 19:05:53

Yey, glad she's yours again 😄 I've just adopted another black one, a little girl to go with my boy.

SexLubeAndAFishSlice Wed 10-Feb-16 19:22:41

Black animals always get overlooked sad they're the best, their coats come up so sleek and shiny when they're well looked after. I have a black greyhound and when his coat catches the sun he almost sparkles he is that shiny!

DoctorTwo Wed 10-Feb-16 20:02:45

This is the wee chap I looked after for a couple of weeks. Basement cats rock.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now