Talk

Advanced search

to ask the neighbour if she can please lend me kitchen scales for a few minutes

(24 Posts)
travellinghopefully12 Tue 09-Feb-16 17:43:11

Just moved into a new place with a friend. It's lovely. Met neighbour on the stair on the first day and exchanged pleasantries. She seems really nice. I hear her come and go, and I'm sure she hear's us too.

I've just got all the ingredients sorted for pancake batter, and cannot find a kitchen scale anywhere. I am rubbish at estimation and guessing.

Do you think she'd mind/think it's weird? I could always ask if she'd like to pop around for a pancake later, if that's not even more weird.

Flatmate is working til 8, and I really struggle to know the right and wrong of social niceties, if that makes sense?

travellinghopefully12 Tue 09-Feb-16 17:44:03

hears us not hear's us

sorry

bigbadbarry Tue 09-Feb-16 17:45:22

Of course it's fine!

FishOn Tue 09-Feb-16 17:45:55

go for it - first xmas in our new house our next door neighbours came and asked to borrow our turkey baster grin

I wouldn't ask her in for a pancake though, just to borrow the scales

expatinscotland Tue 09-Feb-16 17:46:08

Just chap on her door!

Lasaraleen Tue 09-Feb-16 17:46:08

Don't think you need scales. I use 1/4 pint of milk to 1 egg to 2 heaped dessert spoons (or 2 level tablespoons), multiply up as required! Always works well.

liinyo Tue 09-Feb-16 17:46:19

Seems perfectly reasonable.

MizK Tue 09-Feb-16 17:46:51

I would lend a neighbour my scales.

But I don't weigh mine...1 large mug of plain flour, equal volume of milk and 1 egg makes a batch of pancakes.

Lasaraleen Tue 09-Feb-16 17:46:53

Although yes I think it's fine <misses point of thread >

Buttercup27 Tue 09-Feb-16 17:47:49

Go for it. Our ndn asked to borrow our tumble dryer that we don't have the other day.

pilates Tue 09-Feb-16 18:04:02

Yes fine.

Lasaraleen Tue 09-Feb-16 18:05:03

Sorry missed out vital word - the spoons need to contain plain flour!

Oysterbabe Tue 09-Feb-16 18:05:25

You don't need them, just chuck it together. It's really hard to get wrong.

BlueMoonRising Tue 09-Feb-16 18:08:41

I do the same as MizK - add a bit more milk for crepe style pancakes though.

cathpip Tue 09-Feb-16 18:10:49

1 cup flour
1cup milk
1 egg.
I always add a bit more milk though, enjoy!

ScarlettDarling Tue 09-Feb-16 18:13:01

Of course it's ok, it's a good way of becoming more friendly!

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Tue 09-Feb-16 18:20:25

Never use the scales - regular practise and you can see the right consistency!! But great way to meet the neon our - offer to bring her a few!

whois Tue 09-Feb-16 18:33:41

I would let a NDN use my scales.

Littlef00t Tue 09-Feb-16 18:41:50

Do ask if you want to. I lived in a block of flats and rarely saw my neighbours around. Random knock on my door one day with ndn asking to use hairdryer as hers had died half way through drying. Was happy to help.

travellinghopefully12 Tue 09-Feb-16 18:49:44

thank you for all the suggestions, are they really that hard to get wrong oyster? If there is a chance I will get them wrong then that will happen as I am kind of awful at this kind of thing.

I might go across and knock on her door now

fishon isn't a turkey baster a kind of fertility device??

soundsystem Tue 09-Feb-16 18:51:29

Yep, fine to ask. Take her a couple of pancakes when you return the scales?

travellinghopefully12 Tue 09-Feb-16 18:55:20

I can't take the pancakes when I return the scales, as I am making the mixture now but the pancakes when flatmate gets in from work at 8.30. I just want it all ready though...

I could try winging it, I guess...

AlwaysHopeful1 Tue 09-Feb-16 18:55:35

You don't need scales to make pancakes. But I would lend my neighbour if she asked. Take her some pancakes when you're done smile

ohtheholidays Tue 09-Feb-16 19:03:52

Just knock and ask and I think taking a couple of pancakes round later is a lovely idea.

In the past we've borrowed an iron,ours stopped working all of a sudden and we had the uniforms to iron,a can opener that did the same as the iron and tried to borrow a plunger(sink blocked up in the kitchen)but our neighbour didn't have one but gave us a new bottle of that unblocking sink cleaner stuff(and yes that is it's technical name grin )3 different neighbours and we replaced the bottle of kitchen sink stuff.

In the past we've had neighbours knock for sugar,salt,a hosepipe,bisto,money(the potatoe man was round and they had no cash on them),an egg.All different things really,I've never minded helping a neighbour out and they've never minded helping us out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now