Talk

Advanced search

Cold Calling Rudeness

(14 Posts)
RoastChickenDinner Tue 09-Feb-16 15:07:56

Just had a cold call telling me they had a cheque for me for wrongly paid bank charges. They asked for me by name and knew my address.

I was polite, because they are just doing their job, but when I didn't want to confirm my address I said 'but I haven't paid any bank charges' the response was 'then why have you been listening? You are just a selfish woman, you just want the money, you could have just hung up'.

On a cold calling rudeness scale it's mild, but really what is the need to be so rude!

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Tue 09-Feb-16 15:15:28

Pure tantrum on their behalf because He/she was not able to rip you off. They were clearly waiting for you to give your bank details and then you would have been kissing goodbye to your money. No one is going to phone up and pay into your bank
And thank goodness you knew that.
However someone more vulnerable could be sucked into their lies and deception.

RoastChickenDinner Tue 09-Feb-16 15:17:49

Very true ilive

trumpfamily Tue 09-Feb-16 15:19:44

If you do 1471 does it give you a number? If so, enter the number into a search engine and it should give you a company name. You could then make a complaint to the company stating the time and date of the call. I don't hold out much hope for getting the person reprimanded but firing off an e-mail always makes me feel better. As a solution to the cold callers I've registered my numbers with the telephone preference services, it has cut the calls dramatically. I've taken to leaving the phone off the hook for a while, which stops them from making calls as they are still connected. Works for me!

NuckyT Tue 09-Feb-16 15:20:39

I always try to be as polite as possible to genuine cold callers, but this sounds like a scam rather than a cold caller.

leelu66 Tue 09-Feb-16 15:21:58

YANBU. How dare you have the gall to be sensible?

also, trump said.

RoastChickenDinner Tue 09-Feb-16 15:24:23

Yes I think it was a scam and worrying that they knew my name and address. We are already registered with the TPS, but doesn't seem to always help.

Allegedly from 'Claims Advisory Group' but I don't really believe that.

nattyknitter Tue 09-Feb-16 15:36:46

Urgh, I am so bored of PPI and being asked about car accidents I haven't had.

I cannot believe how rude they are when you call them out and ask them to remove your details from the system.

One PPI woman last week was shrieking at me after I told her I'd never taken out PPI so couldn't fathom why she could possibly need my details to pay me.

I try really hard to be polite, but the last car accident one I told her it was bullshit and she knew it.

RB68 Tue 09-Feb-16 15:38:33

my friendly local (not) microsoft engineer when I did a big sigh and a " I really don't have time for this" tolds me to f right off beatch, you MF etc etc etc - I just looked tiredly at the phone and put it down - saved me time and effort. I suppose he had taken the lessons he had learnt on how to swear to heart and memorised them - ROFL

SweetieDrops Tue 09-Feb-16 15:38:49

I was a right crabby cow to one the other day from "National accident helpline". She asked for the person who has had an accident in the last two years, I said who is that then, she didn't know. I snapped at her to piss off and stop wasting my time if she didn't even know who she was phoning for. Fucking ambulance chasers.

StarkyTheDirewolf Tue 09-Feb-16 16:40:38

I told the person who was ringing from "Microsoft" to scam me fix my computer virus that "I don't belive in witchcraft" and that "the Internet was made by Satan" then I started singing "the Lords prayer" cliff Richard version done the phone.

National accident helpline get "well, I shit myself last week but I told my husband to keep it quiet!"

Anyone else rings/knocks the door and I tell them I'm 15 and my Mum's not in.

nattyknitter Tue 09-Feb-16 16:48:32

Ha ha, literally just had another car accident one.

I told her I appear to have had a lot of these accidents recently, so could she clarify which vehicle it was in and where it took place. She hung up on me.

suitsyousir79 Tue 09-Feb-16 16:51:14

RB68 - i had that too. I told him i didnt have a windows pc and he rang me back every 30 seconds for a few minutes telling me to "go f%€k your daughter" "go f%€k your mother" etc. I told him that i didnt have a daugter and my mother was dead, he told me to "go f%€k your dead mother you c@£t" i took the phone off the hook for the afternoon and luckily it stopped but it could have been very upsetting for another person. He was obvious phoning from abroad so nothing much i could do.

CrossfireHurricane Tue 09-Feb-16 17:00:58

The last accident one nearly wet themselves when I said yes, yes I have recently had an accident
"I lost my head "
They hung up and not been bothered since

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now