Talk

Advanced search

to just give my DC pancakes with sugar & lemon juice for tea?

(179 Posts)
dayslikethis Tue 09-Feb-16 12:59:12

In my defence - they are having a couscous salad for pack lunch at school today with loads of veggies and roast chicken mixed in with it so they will have had one proper meal already.

I had planned to make savoury pancakes with a chicken alfredo filling and then just some sweet ones for after, but I had forgotten that DS has swimming today and I have to go out and pick him up at 5.30pm which is a PITA and means that dinner ends up being rushed rather than leisurely.

They will complain if I make them eat savoury pancakes - not because they are fussy eaters, but because they LOVE sugar & lemon juice crepes and don't get them very often so it's a real treat.

Please tell me IANBU to effectively feed my children dessert for dinner one night of the year.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 09-Feb-16 13:01:01

Of course YANBU, its pancake day!

If they aren't vegan pancakes then there will be protein in the eggs and milk, carbs in the flour, fat in the oil, and fruit in the lemons. Perfectly balanced meal...

RidersOnTheStorm Tue 09-Feb-16 13:01:03

YANBU. I think it's the law that you have to. Also with maple syrup.

fastingmum123 Tue 09-Feb-16 13:01:22

I'm doing that the same as my mum did for us. Maybe we are just odd!

Writerwannabe83 Tue 09-Feb-16 13:01:47

Do it!!!

I did it last year and am contemplating doing it this year too grin

moopymoodle Tue 09-Feb-16 13:03:41

I'm doing mine beans on toast first just to ease the maternal guilt ha

simplydivine05 Tue 09-Feb-16 13:03:53

It's only one day and from the sounds of it they have a balanced diet the rest of the time so no harm will be done. Bananas go well with pancakes too if you want some fruit in there?

CheshireChat Tue 09-Feb-16 13:03:54

Thanks for reminding me what day it is OP! I think it's fine, but will it be filling enough? If it is, go for it.

Sleepybunny Tue 09-Feb-16 13:04:25

Add some strawberries, blueberries or bananas to clear your conscience

BoboChic Tue 09-Feb-16 13:04:53

DD had a pancake for breakfast, blinis for lunch and will have pancakes with lemon and sugar for supper.

Twowrongsdontmakearight Tue 09-Feb-16 13:04:56

We've always done it as did my parents and grandparents before! We've all survived.

SweetAdeline Tue 09-Feb-16 13:06:21

I would, but with maple syrup/honey. I wouldn't feel at all guilty either.

Adeleslostbeehive Tue 09-Feb-16 13:06:30

What would your concerns even be? I'm confused by the question

IJustLostTheGame Tue 09-Feb-16 13:06:32

I foroot to buy lemons sad
Nutella it is

IJustLostTheGame Tue 09-Feb-16 13:07:09

FORGOT

useless autocorrect

SymbollocksInteractionism Tue 09-Feb-16 13:07:28

Of course YANBU it's pancake day!!

dayslikethis Tue 09-Feb-16 13:08:31

"will it be filling enough"????? HAHAHAHAHAHA - you have no idea how many crepes my children can put away!

foragogogo Tue 09-Feb-16 13:08:45

Isn't this what the entire country is doing today?

I force mine to have one ham and egg or egg and cheese one first which they grumpily swallow down and then they have about 11 nutella ones.

mogloveseggs Tue 09-Feb-16 13:09:45

Yanbu smile

dayslikethis Tue 09-Feb-16 13:10:41

I also did not buy lemons - i have however bought two little jif lemon thingys. Last year we were living in the US and couldn't find pre-squeezed lemon juice anywhere. We had 12 people over for dinner that night (as well as the 6 of us) and while I made something like 80 crepes, DH squeezed nearly 20 lemons and I don't think he has forgiven me yet!

boopsy Tue 09-Feb-16 13:10:49

Yanbu. I always give mine tea first but wish I hadn't set the trend, id far rather just do pancakes.

dayslikethis Tue 09-Feb-16 13:11:52

Thank you all - I am now off to put the chicken in the freezer, the parmesan will sit in the fridge for another day, and I will find another use for the cream. Lemon juice & sugar it is!

nocabbageinmyeye Tue 09-Feb-16 13:12:33

Mine will be having pancakes with sugar & lemon, jam, chocolate spread, melted curly wurlys and I've cream and not a whiff of fruit, no guilt here, it's one day a year and they have a very balanced diet otherwise

LetThereBeCupcakes Tue 09-Feb-16 13:13:05

YANBU!

This was my plan but just picked DS up from preschool and for the first time in history he refused his lunch and just ate apple pie. So now I'll have to do something proper first. Hmph.

dayslikethis Tue 09-Feb-16 13:14:43

melted curlywurlys you say?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now