Advanced search

more of a wwyd, GP or A&E?

(73 Posts)
IJustLostTheGame Tue 09-Feb-16 10:51:24

I was late and running to work about 6 weeks ago and I felt something 'pop' for want of a better word at the back of my ankle. The pain wasn't too bad and I assumed I'd pulled a muscle. It felt bruisy.
The bruised feeling has stayed since but in the last few days it's gotten worse. It's now stiff and I can't go on tip toe.
It's also twice the size of the back of my other ankle. I don't know how long it's been swollen I only looked the other day as it got worse.
I think I need to see someone as I'm beginning to think I may have 'done something' after all. After 6 weeks it should be better surely?
But do I go to the GP? I don't want to clog up A&E, it's not as though I've only just done it but at the same time I don't want a pointless GP appointment. They've been engaged since half 8 when I rang for advice

Emochild Tue 09-Feb-16 10:53:46

Definitely sounds like a GP appointment required

Abigailsfarty Tue 09-Feb-16 10:53:59

Gp or walk in clinic.

araiba Tue 09-Feb-16 10:54:55

after 6 weeks, it is hardly an emergency is it?

go to your gp, who can treat or advise where to go next

U2HasTheEdge Tue 09-Feb-16 10:56:28

Minor injuries unit would be the best bet if you have one.

I would probably go to A&E if it is swollen. The GP doesn't have an X ray machine so would only send you to the hospital anyway. I work in A&E and we wouldn't think it was a waste of our time at all.

You haven't just done it no, but it's got worse and it needs X-raying.

Oysterbabe Tue 09-Feb-16 10:58:51

It's not an emergency. GP.

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Tue 09-Feb-16 11:00:28

After 6 weeks it's definitely GP

PurpleWithRed Tue 09-Feb-16 11:03:25

Depends what you've got available to you, but my preference would be minor injuries.

U2HasTheEdge Tue 09-Feb-16 11:04:54

Looks like I'm on my own smile

I don't know how it works where you live but here you would be sent to the Minor Injuries Unit if you go through A&E and they deal with things like this all the time. We have had many people in with old injuries that have got worse and it was always seen as acceptable for them to go to A&E so they can be sent to MIU.

Lweji Tue 09-Feb-16 11:14:19

I'd go to A&E mainly because they will have specialists available and X-ray and other equipment available.

Yes, you should have been earlier.

But, actually, I'd ring 111 for non-emergency advice. They should be better placed to tell you where to go.

Filmstar01 Tue 09-Feb-16 11:14:29

It sounds as though you have done something to your Achilles' tendon possibly. Is it your left leg by any chance? Are you normally athletic or not? Achilles injuries can be diagnosed on history and clinical examination. An x-Ray does not show tendons. Achilles injuries are best not left as repair of the tendon can be compromised but at this stage you at least need to go to your GP to start with - even for a phone consultation to decide where you go from here. You definitely need to get it seen. Let us know how you get on.

HaveIGotAClue Tue 09-Feb-16 11:16:45

It's probably going to need an xray, which a GP won't be able to do? I'd go to A&E.

Oysterbabe Tue 09-Feb-16 11:17:51

The GP will refer for an xray if required.

IJustLostTheGame Tue 09-Feb-16 11:18:24

I'm not athletic at all blush
I used to be a dancer but that was years ago.
111 is a good idea I didn't think of that, I shall ring them.
It is getting worse. I don't like to walk on it today and walking dd to nursery was wince a plenty.

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Tue 09-Feb-16 11:23:32

GP, it sounds like muscles or tendons not bone so not sure why you'd need an X-ray (a broken bone would be more painful)

anonymous67 Tue 09-Feb-16 11:24:19

I had something similar happen to me.
I fell down the stairs and thought I was fine. I had a slight ache in my knee but nothing too serious. As the weeks went on, it got worse and eventually I couldn't walk on it properly. Went to A&E and it turns out I had an old fracture (I did it when I fell down the stairs and didn't know) and the bone hadn't healed properly. After 8 weeks on crutches and spending majority of the summer indoors, all is fine now.

Hope you get it sorted x

gandalf456 Tue 09-Feb-16 11:26:25

Phone gp and ask. Reception might even advise

3WiseWomen Tue 09-Feb-16 11:26:27

Minor injury clinic if you have ione around you.
Where I am, I would use the walk in center as it is next to the hospital.

Micah Tue 09-Feb-16 11:26:51

GP, or see a physio if you can afford it. They'll at least be able to tell you whether it needs rest or medical attention.

Gp's are entirely capable of referring to X-ray/MRI/physio directly, and after 6 weeks this is the best only approach.

You'll at least skip the 3 hours in A+e waiting to see a Dr before you get your x-ray, and will also free up the A+E dr's to see genuine A's and E's, and not expect them to be doing GP's jobs as well as their own.

trulybadlydeeply Tue 09-Feb-16 11:31:07

It sounds like a soft tissue injury, so I don't think an x-ray will show much, you may well need a referral for an MRI.

I really feel this is GP rather than A&E, and in the meantime have you strapped it up? Some support will help you manage on it. Are you icing it and elevating it regularly? Are you taking anti inflammatories? (eg Ibuprofen)

Alternatively if you have a walk in centre or minor injuries unit, use that.

gandalf456 Tue 09-Feb-16 11:31:25

If it's bad, you might even get physio on the nhs

Crabbitface Tue 09-Feb-16 11:31:56

You might have to wait hours in A&E only to be triaged and then have to wait again for x-ray. G.P can give you referral note for x-ray so you can pop straight to x-ray department and leave A&E to deal with crisis stuff. Hope it gets better soon.

OTheHugeManatee Tue 09-Feb-16 11:32:23

GP or minor injuries clinic at hospital. Not A&E - the A happened ages ago, and it's not an E.

Filmstar01 Tue 09-Feb-16 11:32:28

OP - I thought you would say that re not being very athletic! It's very typical. A sudden movement like running when you're not used to it and... POP! If it's becoming more acutely worse as it sounds, you might indeed need a trip to A&E.

RedToothBrush Tue 09-Feb-16 11:33:35

Accident = blood / obvious joint displacement / sudden pain relating from a recent incident
Emergency = you can not wait for an appointment due to the severity of the condition -eg extremely high fever, incapacity of some sort, breathing difficulties

If you have not dealt with the issue for six weeks, you don't fall into either category. Go to GP. They will refer you directly if necessary. That way you don't have to wait for hours with no idea of when you will be treated, you will be given an appointment time.

111 are a waste of time and money. The refer too many people who don't need A & E there just to cover their own arse rather than because that's the appropriate course of action. The main purpose of 111 is mainly to allow people to avoid using their own common sense and take responsibility themselves for the decision of where to seek help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: