Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that 'Australia' the Baz Luhrman film is not only terrible but racist?

(23 Posts)
Longstocking2 Mon 08-Feb-16 21:00:37

I watched it for the first time with my mouth open. I mean, I've always avoided it because it looked like a steaming pile of a film.
NO offence to the actors, the scenery, the technicals or anyone who made it look good.
But to the director and script writers and Kidman with her frozen face and Jackman for agreeing to do it (apparently Russell crowe never could find the time to fit it in... wise man).
The message of the film was so dishonest to history from my understanding. Did anyone else think it was not just bad but really offensive.

user7755 Mon 08-Feb-16 21:13:23

It's been a long time since I have seen it, which bits are you talking about?

nutbrownhare15 Mon 08-Feb-16 21:19:54

It is an awful film. I'd need to watch it again to decide whether or not it was racist. And I'd rather not.

hereiamagain22 Mon 08-Feb-16 21:20:39

I watched it, enjoyed it (although it's pretty crappy in that good way). What did you think was racist or not historically accurate. Think it showed the awful way Indigenous Australians were treated, there were air attacks on Darwin, which bits didn't seem based on events?

hereiamagain22 Mon 08-Feb-16 21:22:27

or was it some of the 'magic' stuff. That did make me cringe a bit.

gabsdot Mon 08-Feb-16 21:25:40

I wasn't able to pay much attention to the story, Hugh Jackman's gloriousness was very distracting, but seriously, I don't know much about this period of history, but this was a racist time in Australia and the aboriginal people were treated very badly, they still are.
I thought the film portrayed the time period well and it certainly didn't glorify the terrible racist treatment of the aboriginal people and the mixed race children.
What did you find so offensive about it. I really like the film. I just watched it last week.

LizKeen Mon 08-Feb-16 21:37:26

I don't know how you think it is racist. The racism was a large part of the story, if not the point of the story.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 08-Feb-16 21:48:42

Good. An excuse to show this.

user7755 Mon 08-Feb-16 22:00:36

You have just reminded me that I really like this film, but also of an exchange I had with someone once:

Him: I watched a film the other day, can't remember what it was called
Me: What was it about?
Him: Nicole Kidman went to Australia
Me: Was it Australia?
Him: Hmmm....It was all about Australia in the war
Me: Was it Australia?
Him: There was a big map of Australia at the beginning
Me: Was it the film Australia?
Him: It might have even said Australia in big letters on it
Me: IT WAS AUSTRALIA!

Gummydrops Mon 08-Feb-16 22:10:12

Its a joke of a film with bad acting, the distraction of N.Kidmans frozen face and the innacuracy in the whole film. There will never be a true account film of Australian history. As this would mean having to acknowledge the millions of Aborigines slaughtered and murdered to conquer the country. It would mean having to acknowledge the countless rapes of their people and the huge number of children stolen from their familys including the fact this continued until the 1970's. However I dont blame Buz Lurman as he is doing what has always been done erasing Black History. Rant over

LizKeen Tue 09-Feb-16 09:43:39

It would mean having to acknowledge the countless rapes of their people and the huge number of children stolen from their familys including the fact this continued until the 1970's.

I thought that was depicted quite clearly in the film. It is certainly the message I took from it, and I would have never known about such things before I watched it.

OfaFrenchmind2 Tue 09-Feb-16 09:51:09

YABU. Movie quality is so-so, but other than that...
Just so we know why you feel so strongly about it: are you Australian? Aborigine? Or do you just know social justice through Tumblr?

anonacfr Tue 09-Feb-16 10:26:55

All I remember is the FF- frozen face.

limitedperiodonly Tue 09-Feb-16 10:37:03

user7755 Your conversation about Australia reminded me of one I had:

Me: I really like that song that goes on about you and me
Friend: The You And Me Song
Me: Yes, that's it. Do you know what it's called?
Friend: The You And Me Song
Me: I know that, but I wonder what it's called...

blush

I like Australia too.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACYiRRP14_w

redhat Tue 09-Feb-16 10:42:23

Bizarrely I had the same conversation with DH just last week.

Me - what was that film with Nicole kidman and Hugh Jackman in Australia?
DH - Australia
Me - Yes, you know she was living on a ranch in the outback
DH er - that would be "Australia"
Doh!

Dowser Tue 09-Feb-16 10:45:04

Was going to watch it till I saw it finished after midnight.

Over 3 hours. Maybe catch it some other time.

TheWitTank Tue 09-Feb-16 10:47:59

The film is pretty shit (yy to Nicoles frozen face) but I can't recall it well enough to say if it was racist. I can remember Hugh Jackman making me a bit wibbly though.

Radiatorvalves Tue 09-Feb-16 10:54:45

Nice scenery. Crap film. I think second half was a bit better but can't really remember and certainly don't want to watch it again.

Radiatorvalves Tue 09-Feb-16 10:55:31

Hugh Jackman had a good shower scene iirc.

leelu66 Tue 09-Feb-16 11:25:13

It is cringey but it had some good points. The little boy was really good in it.

As for racism - I think the ranch foreman was a twunt (he raped the Aboriginal woman), but he certainly wasn't a sympathetic character. So I don't think that was racist.

AmIbeingaBitch Tue 09-Feb-16 11:38:35

Rabbit-proof Fence is a good film about Australia.

limitedperiodonly Tue 09-Feb-16 11:56:09

Nice scenery

So it should be. The Australian tourist board put up lots of money for it.

I like Nicole Kidman. She's a good actress in drama and comedy and can carry a tune. I'll forgive her the frozen face.

VulcanWoman Tue 09-Feb-16 11:58:12

I second Rabbit Proof Fence.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now