to think maybe they should have made more effort to tell me about sister's hospital admission?

(14 Posts)
ethelb Mon 08-Feb-16 11:11:41

My sister was admitted to hospital on Saturday night with a bad infection.

She has since been discharged which I am very pleased about. But I only found out about the hospital admission yesterday evening when I logged into my professional email account (obviously I don't tend to check at the w/e) and found an email from my parents informing me of this.

I appreciate that this isn't about me but wondered if anyone else would have expected a call or even just a text to inform them of news like this?

Arkwright Mon 08-Feb-16 11:17:50

Depends how close you are. We see my parents every day so would be told immediately. If you don't see them often then probably not.

Ebb Mon 08-Feb-16 11:19:07

Yanbu. My DM didn't tell me until the next day that DDad had been taken to hospital with a mini stroke. He was fine and sent home but I felt upset I hadn't been given the option to go and visit or at least speak to DM about it at the time. I guess she was worried and didn't want to worry me. Glad your sister is OK. flowers

Hihohoho1 Mon 08-Feb-16 11:21:01

Emailing close family is a bit cold really. Couldn't they phone you?

ZiggyFartdust Mon 08-Feb-16 11:22:40

Odd question. Of course anyone with a close family would get a phone call immediately, but clearly yours is a different setup altogether.

QuietWhenReading Mon 08-Feb-16 11:23:08

My parents would have called me.

liberatedwine Mon 08-Feb-16 11:24:19

You should have been called, or told in person. Are you a close family?

AnchorDownDeepBreath Mon 08-Feb-16 11:25:36

Do they usually communicate with you via your professional email address?

If they do, it was probably fairly standard for them to use that method. If they usually call and reverted to emailing instead, I'd be a bit confused and presume that they didn't want you to see it before she was released.

Normandy144 Mon 08-Feb-16 11:27:20

Is it possible they emailed your work account by mistake? I know my parents would easily make that mistake and just not realise they'd selected the work account over my personal one. That said, they would have called me until they got hold of me. Seems v.odd if you are close?

diddl Mon 08-Feb-16 11:37:53

I can see that they might have accidentally used the wrong email.

But when they heard nothing from you, what did they think?

Was she out fairly quickly so that no contact from you wasn't an issue?

They were just informing rather than expecting you to visit?

ethelb Mon 08-Feb-16 11:40:43

Thanks for the answers I thought I was overreacting.
They have previously sent stuff to my professional email address as they either don't really get it/made a mistake.

Im not overly bothered by which email address they sent it to, but wanted to clarify why i didn't pick it up until yesterday evening. Tbh I don't tend to check either account on Sundays.

We are all geographically quite far apart, they are 5h drive from my sister I am 2.5h train journey from her.

The email was sent to me, my other sister and uncle who lives 30mins away from sick sister from my mum.

I appreciate my mother may have been panicking but this is quite cold, even for her.

ethelb Mon 08-Feb-16 11:57:19

Just to clarify on closeness, I had text both her and my Dad separately earlier in the week about my husband's new job news. Which is obviously much less of a big deal.

BeardedBear Mon 08-Feb-16 12:02:25

Depends how close you are. I wasn't told about my sister's pregnancy until she was 7 months, and only then because a family member was coming to visit and I "would be able to ask them to bring back the present for the baby."

My family don't know I was in hospital last year and that the IL's moved in for two weeks to take care of the DC for me.

I wasn't informed when my mother was taken to hospital with a serious infection, basically because it never occurred to them to call me.

I have long since learnt though, if you want parents to send to a particular email address you must be careful to never answer them from the other!

Quoteunquote Mon 08-Feb-16 13:41:15

Use this as a warning to yourselves that text and emails are no substitute for talking to each other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now