Talk

Advanced search

To think people realise I am quiet not "stuck up"?

(11 Posts)
joyalf Sun 07-Feb-16 19:00:07

Recently a colleague started calling me "minnie mouse" because apparently I'm really quiet & reserved & everyone agreed. I told my OH & he couldn't believe I hadn't realised I am quiet! I was quite surprised, I am not outgoing by any means but I didn't think I was noticeably quiet or shy. Then I read something about how people think quiet people are stuck up. I'm really worried people think that's me! I have a few very close friends but no kind of casual friends IYSWIM. I have struggled to make friends if I am honest. I really wanted to make friends at work & with other mums, but it's been really hard & now I think I know why! I try to be chatty & friendly but I do sometimes find it hard, I think I read a lot into other people's actions & quickly interpret behaviour to mean people don't like me or think negatively about me. This has all made me feel really bad about myself, I hate the idea of people thinking I'm stuck up & I don't know what I can do.

user7755 Sun 07-Feb-16 19:05:28

Just wanted to say that I have the double whammy of being quiet / shy and having a southern accent in Yorkshire. Apparently this makes some people think I'm stuck up.

TBH it used to bother me but frankly, the people who know me know that I'm not. The people who think I'm stuck up can FO, as they are clearly judgey twats.

Nothing wrong with having close friends and acquaintances.

CottonFrock Sun 07-Feb-16 19:49:49

Stop worrying about what other people think of you. You have absolutely no control over it. On the other hand, do ask your colleague politely but firmly to stop with the idiotic nickname.

RubbleBubble00 Sun 07-Feb-16 19:54:11

I'm horribly quiet in new situations and do says it comes across as stuck up. Works fine as if been there a few years and in my comfort zone. School situations I find excruciating. My second has started reception and thought great another chance to try and make some mum friends but to no avail. Lots of groups and other parents chatting in car park but I'm on the outside again. I envy one of my close friends as she has made friends with other mums at daycare and she's only there for pick ups - don't know how she does it

Narp Sun 07-Feb-16 19:56:26

it's just rude to give someone a label like Minnie Mouse. I wouldn't care about that person's opinion

SingingSamosa Sun 07-Feb-16 19:57:01

I could have written that post myself! I am exactly the same, but with the added 'bonus' of a resting bitch face!! grin

MadamDeathstare Sun 07-Feb-16 20:52:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MadamDeathstare Sun 07-Feb-16 20:57:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SaucyJack Sun 07-Feb-16 20:59:41

It's not you with the problem, it's her. Being quiet is not a hanging offence.

Open her desk drawer a crack one day, fart in it and then slam it shut and leave it for her to find. It won't help the situation admittedly, but it can't hurt either.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 07-Feb-16 21:12:06

I was shy and thought of as being 'stuck up'.
I just had no self confidence in myself and was very quiet in company.
My dh took the time to get to know me. smile
I truly wish I had had more confidence when younger- I was lovely ( and three stone lighter!!!)

tinofbiscuits Sun 07-Feb-16 21:24:36

Plenty of people are introverts. It's a shame some people can't see beyond their own personality type. There's nothing wrong with being "quiet", and at some times in history it has been the preferred personality type.

How would they feel if you called them loud and overbearing? I bet they would object, so why is it OK for them to make rude remarks about your personality?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now