Titanic replica ship.

(27 Posts)
boopsy Sun 07-Feb-16 11:08:31

So...aibu to really really want to go on it?? A replica of the Titanic has been built with modern safety systems, radar satellite etc etc. I love the film and all the history to do with it but a small part of me finds it slightly creepy. So who would go on it??

IAmPissedOffWithAHeadmaster Sun 07-Feb-16 11:23:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

boopsy Sun 07-Feb-16 11:27:17

Yes I see what you mean but part of me is fascinated.

Sallyingforth Sun 07-Feb-16 11:47:50

Do they take it near icebergs?

coconutpie Sun 07-Feb-16 11:49:07

Wow, just reading about this now - didn't know about it until I read this thread! It sounds fascinating.

SevenOfNineTrue Sun 07-Feb-16 11:54:06

I would go on it for historical purposes but would not want to go on it due to the 'simulated iceberg collision'.

boopsy Sun 07-Feb-16 11:54:23

Sally I think it is going a different route. Cant do links on here but google it. They will make loads of money I suspect!

specialsubject Sun 07-Feb-16 11:54:39

IF it is actually happening - the Aussie project never happened and the Chinese one is all about 'will' and 'coming soon'. It is allegedly under construction but will be permanently docked in China. You get a virtual reality sinking.

believe it when I see it.

MidniteScribbler Sun 07-Feb-16 11:55:07

I'd visit whilst in dock, but couldn't go on a cruise on it. I saw the Titanic exhibition a few years ago and it was fascinating, but very sad. If I'm going on a holiday, especially a cruise, I want a fun time, and I think this would be too hard to be celebratory with such sombre history overshadowing it.

Perfectlypurple Sun 07-Feb-16 11:56:24

I would go if I could. It would be amazing from the historical point of view. I don't like the virtual reality sinking though - that is morbid and going too far.

coconutpie Sun 07-Feb-16 12:25:33

Oh just to add - I don't like the idea of simulating the iceberg - that is in really really poor taste. I would love to go on the ship to see what it looked like, etc but the bit about the iceberg is insulting to all the poor souls who lost their lives that night.

From reading the article, I think it will be docked permanently, as in there won't be a cruise aspect.

boopsy Sun 07-Feb-16 13:27:25

I read that it will have radar etc and is slightly wider to meet safety regulations so this points to it being used, not just docked.

specialsubject Sun 07-Feb-16 14:31:24

according to the info I could find on the Chinese project, they say 'permanently docked'. unless it is being built next door, they will need to move it so presumably that's why it has to be seaworthy to modern standards.

allegretto Sun 07-Feb-16 14:39:00

Our local soft play has a bouncy Titanic - at a tilt so it looks like it's sinking. That really is bad taste but I don't think this is much better!

MrsJayy Sun 07-Feb-16 14:42:35

I think its an awful idea I dont understand why anybody would want to go on it and have the experience its to morbid for me

specialsubject Sun 07-Feb-16 15:20:22

I've seen a giant Titanic bouncy castle on the same lines, you slide down the tilted ship.

I pride myself on a dark sense of humour but I also found this somewhat questionable...

Cleebope Sun 07-Feb-16 15:25:26

Have tea by the grand staircase in the Titanic Centre Belfast, next best thing. It's brilliant!

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 07-Feb-16 15:53:06

There is such a thing as hubris. I wouldn't set foot on it.

DixieNormas Sun 07-Feb-16 17:40:49

I'd quite like to see it, virtual reality sinking is odd though

Stanky Sun 07-Feb-16 17:47:13

We did a project on the Titanic in primary school, and I loved the film when it came out. I had a fascination with it, but I wouldn't want to go on a replica cruise. I found the anniversary cruise odd, when people dressed up. But I'm sure that others would love it. I do worry about future tasteless tourist attractions based on horrific disasters.

IoraRua Sun 07-Feb-16 17:49:02

Sounds fascinating.
I've been on tours on the Jeanie Johnson (replica of an Irish coffin ship during the Famine), I would absolutely go on this.

RortyCrankle Sun 07-Feb-16 17:58:45

Since my paternal Grandfather lost his life on the Titanic - I would definitely not want to go on it. Too creepy.

katemiddletonsothermum Sun 07-Feb-16 18:12:57

OMG OP thank you for this thread!!! DD has been a bit obsessed by the Titanic for the last 10 years and even made one of those cardboard replica boats all by herself at the age of 11 (she got very cross when I accidentally hoovered up a tiny piece of window WHICH WAS THE LAST PIECE!!!).

Anyway, she turns 18 in April and this thread has inspired me to book a weekend in Belfast for her to visit the Titanic Experience - much better than a booze up in a night club.

sonjadog Sun 07-Feb-16 18:20:25

I wouldn't go anywhere near it, personally. It was a massive tragedy, not something to turn into a tourist attraction.

The Titanic exhibition in Belfast is very good. Do take your daughter, kate.

boopsy Sun 07-Feb-16 19:13:11

I think that even if you didn't want to set sail in the ship that visiting would be an amazing educational experience. I would expect a lot of schools will book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now