Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To use electronic cigarettes even though I'm BF

(55 Posts)
silversparrow Sat 06-Feb-16 16:07:47

I know small amounts of nicoteine can get into breast-milk.

I've never smoked real cigarettes (hate the smell) but I used to be addicted to electronic ones (gave up when pregnant).

Recently I started having a few puffs on electronic cigarette when very tired or very stressed (eg when baby has been crying for hours). I don't do it near him.

But I'm now craving them all day and having a puff several times a day. I love the buzz from nicoteine. It also helps me stay awake. Baby has reflux and is teething and DH is in bed with flu, and without the nicoteine shots I'd be tearing my hair out by now.

AIBU to use them?

Oysterbabe Sat 06-Feb-16 16:13:34

IMO yes. The nicotine will be in your milk and I would never give my baby nicotine.

Champagneformyrealfriends Sat 06-Feb-16 16:13:37

YABU. Smoking doesn't alleviate stress you just think it does. You need to learn a different way to deal with stress.

19lottie82 Sat 06-Feb-16 17:14:22

At the end of the day it's still better than "actual" cigarettes. If you have given it your best effort to "properly" quit, but feel this is your best option rather than smoking cigarettes or getting mega stressed then I'd just do it. Rather than worry about all the judgy pants on MN. Doubt anyone will agree with me tho!

WileHallion Sat 06-Feb-16 17:14:46

YABU.

CremeEggThief Sat 06-Feb-16 17:17:23

YANBU. It's not the same as smoking. Even real smoking is worse for babies in utero than babies who are breastfeeding.

PotteringAlong Sat 06-Feb-16 17:23:08

Completely unreasonable.

As an aside, if you've never smoked a real cigarette how on earth did you become addicted to the electronic ones?! I didn't know using them for any purpose other than giving up smoking 'real' cigarettes was a thing.

Bunbaker Sat 06-Feb-16 17:24:42

"As an aside, if you've never smoked a real cigarette how on earth did you become addicted to the electronic ones?! I didn't know using them for any purpose other than giving up smoking 'real' cigarettes was a thing."

I wondered as well.

user7755 Sat 06-Feb-16 17:27:35

Pottering - I'm glad you asked that question.

Why would anyone use an electric cig if they had never smoked? hmm

Although I suppose rationally, most people start smoking at school perhaps smoking e cigs at school is a 'thing' now, so people would get addicted to that instead.

user7755 Sat 06-Feb-16 17:30:20

Try yogic breathing instead of smoking.

Physiologically nicotine can't calm your anxiety symptoms - the way nicotine works on your body it just doesn't have that effect. So the only reason that you feel calmer when you smoke, is that big deep breath you take.

Try practicing taking the breath without the cig.

CremeEggThief Sat 06-Feb-16 17:30:25

Yes, teenagers are smoking ecigs now. Quite a thing at some of the schools here.

Oysterbabe Sat 06-Feb-16 17:32:21

I think it's giving in to your nicotine addiction that makes you feel relaxed, it's both cause and cure.

kimlo Sat 06-Feb-16 17:33:06

What strength are you on? Could you try lowering it?

I have never heard of anyone vaping who hasnt smoked before, thats unusual.

BeezerBubble Sat 06-Feb-16 17:34:00

Almost unheard of for a non-smoker to become addicted to ecigs. Nicotine isn't particularly addictive out with tobacco smoke, studies on NRT show this. What strength nicotine involved? What type of ecig? What buzz from nicotine? How do you know buzz came from nicotine?

GloGirl Sat 06-Feb-16 17:35:14

User, smoking actually gives you an itch that only smoking can scratch. So it does help with stress but only what it creates.

Breastfeeding is hard work and I put on weight trying to keep up with it without caffeine, but I say YABU. Imagine life free from the cravings and expense and guilt and fuss.

WorraLiberty Sat 06-Feb-16 17:36:08

I don't really know what you think you're going to get from this thread?

You're basically asking, "AIBU to feed my baby small amounts of nicotine"?

What do you think OP?

BuzzardBird Sat 06-Feb-16 17:37:03

I thought nicotine destroyed the nerves? Make the problem worse?

goodnightdarthvader1 Sat 06-Feb-16 17:37:09

biscuit

AlpacaLypse Sat 06-Feb-16 17:37:20

It's all about risk assessment really OP. Yes, a very small amount of nicotine will pass into your milk. It's a really really small amount though.

I think you and your family will be happier if you're not tearing your hair out. I certainly wouldn't even contemplate cutting it down or out until DH back on his feet and able to be useful again.

user7755 Sat 06-Feb-16 17:39:48

GloGirl - I'm an ex smoker. I understand that itch, but overcame it with proper yogic breathing every time I had a craving, and nothing else.

If you breathe properly, you scratch that itch (so to speak!)

OfaFrenchmind2 Sat 06-Feb-16 17:39:49

Some fillers for ecigs are nicotine free. I understand some cravings in case of stress, just make sure you are using the one that are without nicotine.

Peppatina Sat 06-Feb-16 17:40:02

I came on to say not ideal but better than smoking actual cigarettes instead of that would be the alternative for you.

But I've never heard of anyone smoking ecigs for anything but quitting real smoking?

BeezerBubble Sat 06-Feb-16 18:00:44

For completeness, NHS advises no NRT 1 hour before breast feeding. No big deal apart from odd op.

silversparrow Sat 06-Feb-16 18:32:02

Thanks everyone

I started using them a few years ago when my friend was trying to quit smoking. I tried one out of interest and found it gave me a rush of energy and concentration which was handy as I was trying to finish my dissertation. I used to use the mouth-spray too blush

Find it hard to cope with hours of crying. He's been crying and grizzling constantly for 2days sad

U2HasTheEdge Sat 06-Feb-16 18:41:02

Well, a very very small amount passes through breastmilk.

Nicotine from vaping enters your system at a much slower rate than it does from cigarettes. If you wait an hour before breastfeeding I would have thought the amount of nicotine that could enter your breastmilk is miniscule.

If you want to take that risk then of course that is up to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now